one or two barells?

mojavejohn

one or two barells?

Post by mojavejohn » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:19 pm

I am thinking about getting a new shotgun this year. I currently carry a Remington 1100 in 12 Ga. with a fixed, Mod. choke, it's a little heavy, but shoots real good. The reason for the change is I want to get something light and that I am not worried about banging around to much. I have decided to get a 20 gauge. So the biggest thing I am wanting to know is what you guys think is better, a double barell, either a SxS or O/U, with the option of having two different chokes; or a single barell, either a pump or SA, with the option of a 3rd shot and only one size choke to shoot at a time. If it's a single barell then it needs to be for a southpaw or ambidextrous. I am leaning towards a double barell because anytime that I pull the trigger three times on a covey flush usually means I have missed the first to shots and the 3rd is a desperation shot, which I normally miss. I think the two chokes would help me be more accurate and kill more birds in the long run. So what do you all think? Any specific shotguns you have had experience with would be great too. Anyone have any thoughts on CZ, I have heard mixed reviews on them.
Go Dodgers

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: one or two barells?

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 am

Weather a SxS or an O/U is pretty much a personnal choice. I've had O/U's and they were really nice guns. But now all I have is three SxS's and an Ithica mod 37. Alot of people don't care for the SxS sighting plane so go with O/U's. If your really used to semi-auto's or pump's, the switch to an O/U is easier, to SxS's it takes a bit of effort and then you wonder why you had a bad time with it. But I have always prefered the SxS's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 am

Most...will shoot an O/U...better, or more easily, than a SXS.
There are a multitude of new and used O/U 20s to chose from.
Try several on and choose what trips some trigger.

Choke option means less than many believe.
Two shots will not help you shoot more accurately...mindset, focus and practice will.
Berettas are nearly bulletproof and can be made like new very easily and cheaply.
A Ruger is tough albeit a bit heavy.
Weight tho, like choke, is widely overvalued as to importnace.
Most all scatterguns offered today...will go bang sufficiently well.
The least expensive will be more prone to having poor triggers and longevity issues.
Good luck.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 am

I've recently came into two Spanish SxSs and I love them. I'm not so sure why it is said that SxSs are much different than
anything else, they shoot the same for me. I like them a lot, they are light and quick, great bird hunting guns.

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

thanks for the good feedback guys
Go Dodgers

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Christopher wrote:I've recently came into two Spanish SxSs and I love them. I'm not so sure why it is said that SxSs are much different than
anything else, they shoot the same for me. I like them a lot, they are light and quick, great bird hunting guns.
There is a different sight picture between an O/U and a SxS, although many might say they like the sight pic on a SxS, in competition the numbers speak for themselves. Try and find a major skeet/clay event that has been won by a SxS in the last 70 years, good luck with your search. If you shoot a SxS and it fits you good and you shoot it well I would say go for it, however if you strictly go by the numbers the O/U is the superior design. There is a lot of heritage that goes with a SxS and if I ever hit the lotto I will own a fine Dakota Arms SxS, until then I will keep searching for a reasonable price Gold Label.

Deets

Post by Deets » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 pm

I had a CZ Mallard which is their cheapest over and under. I thought it was a piece of crap. Sold it and bought a BPS in 16GA

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:25 am

what went wrong with it? I have read a mixed bag of reports about this brand.
Go Dodgers

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm

The PRE 2007 guns had some problems (broken firing pins). But since then CZ and Huglu have really straightened things out.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

thanks
Go Dodgers

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 pm

MajaveJohn,
This all depends on what you want to invest in and how much money you want to spend, I always recommed picking up a good
Fox, Ithaca, L.C. Smith or Parker bird gun, if you really want a nice classic American double gun, all of them made some fine 16 Gauge
bird guns. I try to guide my clients away from the cheaper newer shotguns, however there are some nice ones also. The up graded CZ is now not a bad little gun, just don't get stuck with one of their 1st generation guns. I line shoot a Churchill 20 Gauge O/U, it's also a fine bird hunting O/U, if you like a SST type stack BBl gun. If you like SxS 28 Gauge guns, the new L.C. Smith, made in Spain is a serious little bird gun, with all the modern goodies, including the modern Spanish engraving and old French Walnut Wood, with real nice Chrome lined Blls, and screw in chokes. Remember you only get the quality weapon you pay for, and be careful that you get what you pay for.
RGD/Dave

It all depends on your personal preference as to the quality weapon you want to purchase, remember all 2 trigger double guns also give you instant choke selection while hunting.
A fine little modern 28 Gauge L.C. Smith SxS double gun.

A nice Churcill 20 Gauge O/U

A Serious little 1920, 20 Gauge L.C. Smith SxS

A priceless SxS Pre 1913, 16 guage two BBl set, L.C. Smith

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Those are some beautiful shotguns there. I definitely believe in the adage "you get what you pay for". One thing I don't have a lot of is money, but I definitely have the ability to save for awhile and get a nice gun. What I really want is something that will get the job done, with no hiccups, but not something I am afraid of getting banged up in the field. That's another reason I have been looking at the CZ's, they have everything I want at a price I can afford. I haven't gotten one yet because of the mixed reviews that I have read on them. Some guys swear by them and others curse their existence. So I really appreciate the info, I will definitely use it. I am going to check out some of those guns that you mentioned right now. Thanks.
Go Dodgers

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:32 pm

What is a SST type stack BBl gun?
Go Dodgers

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Buy yourself a gun you can afford. Doubles are a joy to shoot! The modern doubles, either s/s or o/u, are great. They have selector safeties, that allow you to change barrels. If you are close use the open barrel if not use the tighter barrel.The vintage guns are limited to the choke system they have. The new guns have interchangable chokes tubes. You can adjust to the terrain, shot and what kind of game bird you are hunting. I have dealt in vintage guns for 10 years before the market tried up and they are beautiful but they are not as good as the new well built guns of today. The materials they are built with are so much better and they can withstand the modern shells we shoot. Remember in 1910, 1949, or 1965, the ammunition was not what we have today.

When you can afford them, buy a vintage double of your liking. They are absolutly wonderful. When you decide to invest get someone that is knowledgale to help you. You can get swindled. Shoot it sparingly and love it, in the meantime buy what you can afford and become a better marksman with it, practice! You will have alot more fun!
JMHO.... :)

Good luck with your choice.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for the good advice.
Go Dodgers

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:08 pm

You could have a new barrel put on your 1100 with c/ts and shoot the world!

Good luck!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:03 pm

MJ,
SST - Single Selective Trigger, Stack Barrell - Over Under. Just shotgun terminology short hand.
You might also consider an old Win M12 pump gun, the 16's are seriously light and choked IC are great Grouse guns,
the same goes for the old Itacha model 37, lots of old time Pa Grouse hunters loved these pump guns for Grouse hunting,
you can pick either of these good old pump guns up for $650.00 - $800.00.
RGD/Dave

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm

mojavejohn wrote:what went wrong with it? I have read a mixed bag of reports about this brand.
Nothing really went worng with, I just was not satisfied with the fit and finish. The engraving was a pretty shaky, the finish on the reciver and barrel was some type of painted finish that didnt hold up very well. I dont know if it was parkerized or what but it looked cheap. One of the choke tubes was cross threaded and was a difficult to remove. Last but not least the triggers broke at about 20 lbs, and from what I understand they are not easily adjustable. I would take a good look at the CZs before you buy. The higher end models like the woodcock might be better. But if you are looking at a woodcock, you might as well get a Citori for nearly the same price.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 pm

it what you like to shoot.
i dont like any shotgun but semi.i like the LIGHT recoil as you get older that you get from semi.
it not extra shots i like in semi,its feel,what i was raised on,light recoil.

RIGHT NOW there is best deal on best grouse semi i have owned in GREAT PRICE RANGE.
there is one BETTER but its benilli and cost 1400 dollars.
better only because in GAS OPERATED and still is 6 pds.

here is gun.FRANCHI AL48 IN 20 GA WITH 26 INCH BARREL.on sale at unreal price at 594 dollars with free shipping.it weights 5=1/2 PDS.sweet is all i can say.
dont wait, get in phone now, you wont be sorry.
just remember, this gun does not handle 3 inch shells .

take care jim

http://www.budsgunshop.com

mojavejohn

Post by mojavejohn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am

Jim; I have heard the Frachi is a great gun. It is definitely in the running.
Go Dodgers

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 pm

MJJ,
The Fanchi gun Jim is recommending is a good little gun especially for the money you will expend.
In fact Jim and I were talking about them privately, he has a place you can pick one up for very minimal money.
Again this all depends on what you like to shoot, I only own one pump gun, an old 16 gauge Win M12, and I own no semi auto's at all.
I prefer good SXS double guns, with two triggers for instant choke selection in the Grouse woods or Pheasant fields. I also recommend a good 16 guage gun for actual hunting, light like a 20 it puts down birds and game like a 12 gauge.
RGD/Dave

A fine 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Grouse gun, with DT and 28" BBls and French Walnut Wood.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:01 pm

mojavejohn wrote:Jim; I have heard the Frachi is a great gun. It is definitely in the running.
i was at buds site and ALL THE AL48 are gone. :o
in fact,he sold out of every franchi gun. :roll:

that deal was too good to pass up,i almost bought another one in 28 ga.

here is what to do.he has WISH LIST on there.when 20 come in,he forwards you a WISH LIST.you have to move quick.
like ryman gundog said,ITS WHAT YOU LIKE IN SHOTGUN.i like semi THAT IS LIGHT and al48 is best at its price.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 am

Jim K,
Got to admit that would be a sweet little gun in 28 guage, no doubt about it!
RGD/Dave