Grade 2 or buy the grade 4 Ugartechea

RobGSP

Grade 2 or buy the grade 4 Ugartechea

Post by RobGSP » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 pm

I am having a tough time deciding which gun to buy. A grade 2 28ga or a grade 4 28ga ugartechea. I have looked at a bunch of guns and it has come down to these two. The practicle side of me says get the grade 2 save some money and be happy. The grade 4 is just a great looking gun and the price from LCS is in my budget. This will be my first over 2000 purchase on a shotgun and I am just having cold feet on placing the order. One fear I have is that if I go with the grade 2 I will regret not getting the gun I really want. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

MTR

Re: Grade 2 or buy the grade 4 Ugartechea

Post by MTR » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a grade 4 in 16ga from LCS. I went back and forth between the boxlock (grade 2) vs. sidelock(grade 4) for a while. I decided that I would eventually end up trading up to the sidelock because that's what I really wanted - nice locks, better engraving, nicer wood. I don't regret that I went with what I wanted to right away. It took me an extra year or so to save up the difference but I am glad that I did.

Love the gun.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Look at it this way. When your lying on your death bed, you shur don't want to think about the gun you didn't get that you could afford! Go for it, life is just to short.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 am

Here is my two cents. Purely, FYI and IMHO:

If you like pretty things then that would be a reason to go with the grade IV, if you just want a gun that will go boom and kill birds, save your coin and get the grade II.

If you are willing to go with something other than I. Ugartechea, you can pick up a used gun comparable to the LSC offerings for much less. Today, I won a gun that is nearly identical to the grade I Ugartechea for $199. It is used, needs refinishing but it is what I could afford.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 am

get the cheapest one.....no doubt

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 am

Rob,
Get the real side lock Grade IV double gun, for the money it's the best buy, with the highest quality.
RGD/Dave

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:17 am

I see alot of people talking about some real fancy guns with some high price points. Is it realty worth the money to the average Joe to get such a gun? In my state I get 4 weeks to hunt birds. I just don't see the point BUT also I have never used some of the guns talked about n this forum.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm

sniperjon wrote:Is it realty worth the money to the average Joe to get such a gun? .
Some will say no, I tend to agree. But I love my Spanish shotgun. It is every bit the quality of the Ugartechea best grades (some experts say better), it is a M. Ugarteburu, SLE, model 108. I managed to pick it up for under $500.
Last edited by Christopher on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTR

Post by MTR » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

sniperjon wrote:I see alot of people talking about some real fancy guns with some high price points. Is it realty worth the money to the average Joe to get such a gun? In my state I get 4 weeks to hunt birds. I just don't see the point BUT also I have never used some of the guns talked about n this forum.
each to their own I guess. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I will show up at the trap/skeet club, see a guy driving an 80's rust-bucket gmc/ford/chevy/dodge truck with no muffler, be wearing stained overalls and pull out a $15k "K" gun (Kreighoff or Kolar) out of a fitting case and go shoot trap. It's what he has decided he wants to spend his money on. Now if I were buying my FIRST gun, I wouldn't be getting anything fancy, but I have upgraded over the years and if I would have gotten a grade 2 boxlock, I would have been wishing I would have just bout the grade 4. Is it any better? Subjective to say the least! Both swing and go bang, each hit's targets when pointed right and trigger(s) pulled. One is just a little more refined and finished, feels good in my hands, and is something I am proud of, but not arrogant of. I am just happy to see people interested in the shooting sports and out hunting.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

woodDB

Post by woodDB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 pm

I guess it depends on how painful the cost to upgrade is... I'd say get the one that makes your heart sing. Ater a couple years, you'll forget the cost but you'll still admire the quality. Besides, how many $2k+ shotguns are you going to buy in your lifetime? In that price range, I'd pay a little extra to make sure I smiled every time I looked at it, let alone fired it.

On the other hand, if it's too pretty and your going to obsess about every single nick and scratch then you'll have a hard time enjoying it. In the end, your favorite should be your goto, complete w/ battle wounds and character.