Mossberg Shotguns

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Mossberg Shotguns

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm

So doing more research what do you guys think about the Mossberg Silver Reserve Series O/U?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Mossberg Shotguns

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:54 pm

"Danger, Will Robertson, Danger!"...The Mossberg will go boom but won't stand the gaff of much shooting, comparably.

Beretta
Rizzini
Guerini
Citori
or, finest of all, a good used Superposed(other than the salt years :) )

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:30 am

Mountaineer wrote:"Danger, Will Robertson, Danger!"...The Mossberg will go boom but won't stand the gaff of much shooting, comparably.

Beretta
Rizzini
Guerini
Citori
or, finest of all, a good used Superposed(other than the salt years :) )
I suppose if guy wanted to spend over a grand he wouldnt be looking at a mossberg...

In about the same price range as the mossberg you may look at some of the offerings from CZ or maybe look for a Baikal. The mossberg had issues with broken firiing pins early on, though most of those issues have been cleared up the silver reserves are hit or miss on quality from my limited experience.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:
I suppose if guy wanted to spend over a grand he wouldnt be looking at a mossberg...

In about the same price range as the mossberg you may look at some of the offerings from CZ or maybe look for a Baikal. The mossberg had issues with broken firiing pins early on, though most of those issues have been cleared up the silver reserves are hit or miss on quality from my limited experience.

Jim

I reckon so.
However, the OP set a limit of $1500-$4k a few threads back, as I recall.
Considering that, my suggestions seem ...ok.

Mossberg, supposedly, corrected... one... issue. You want to place faith in them and that scattergun...good, that is your choice.
CZs are widely liked...it seems to me tho that a new or even used model of any of those i listed would be a much sounder choice than a new CZ...others may see it differently.
I would not advise anyone to get a Baikal...it likely would go boom over a little shooting and few years but one can do much better unless really strapped for lucre.

A note re the Superposed...the only downside is no steel shot.
fwiw

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 am

I have never shot a Mossberg double but I did handle one once. Felt like a club! But if I remember right, Mossberg decided to up grade out of the entry level gun's and had Pederson rifle and shot guns made in their custon shot. I have handled a Pederson O/U and it was a very very nice gun. Other than those few Pederson's the only gut I'd get from Mossberg is the mod 500, but I don't shoot pump's any more. CZ's and Baikal's get a lot of good said about them by guy's that use them, not that many detractors.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:
I reckon so.
However, the OP set a limit of $1500-$4k a few threads back, as I recall.
Considering that, my suggestions seem ...ok.

That said, your list makes perfect sense.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:33 pm

I have one and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It is a 12/20 combo DU gun and won it in a raffle. The best $20 I had spent in a long time.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:15 pm

JoePaTurfShoes wrote:So doing more research what do you guys think about the Mossberg Silver Reserve Series O/U?
Is it a 20 on a 12ga frame? First thing I'd look at.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm

JoePaTurfShoes wrote:So doing more research what do you guys think about the Mossberg Silver Reserve Series O/U?
In that price range the Baikal cannot be beat. $500 for a well made gun, the wood just ok but the receiver and barrels are quite nice. I have CZ Redhead but the receiver and barrels are better on the Baikal. People seem to hate the Baikals because the action is so stiff.

The Rizzini Omnium might be worth a look. Super well made action and barrels with a plain jain receiver. Perhaps worth saving up a little longer for the quality. Getting guns fixed where I live is a real pain in the rear.

Another idea is look for an SKB O/U. There are still some new ones out there.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm

If for some reason the OP has changed his requirements and wants a sub $1K scattergun then I have seen the new Franchi Instinct L O/U listed at $989.
12 or 20, I believe.
SL model is slightly higher.
fwiw

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Ive got a silver reserve in 20 ga, no issues, nice light quick handling gun in 20 ga.

The silver reserves are a true 20 ga frame, not a 20 on a 12 frame, unlike the stogers which i wouldn't touch.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 am

I have the SR in 12 and love it, has gone boom eveytime I pull the trigger, and have had no issue's at all. handles well and I can bust 35-40 Sporting clays every time.
"Been owned by many a great dog, but Lady the AWS by far is the best"

GOD Bless,
Rob G.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat May 19, 2012 9:30 am

silver reserve just has the mossberg name made by some one else

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 am

Just adding an idea: used Winchester 101. Here is one for $1049 that I found in less than a minute. http://www.cabelas.com/winchester-shotg ... ld-2.shtml . I'm pretty sure that you could pick one up for a good price with just a little digging.

They are high quality shotguns. Great metal-metal and wood-metal fit. Sometimes the wood is lighter than appeals to me. If you go the Citori or 101 route, I strongly suggest that you order some Eezox http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html and use it religiously. It's the best run preventive that I've found. See http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html .

Greg J.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:26 pm

I have a mossberg silver reserve in a 20 and it is a nice shooting gun.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 am

The Silver Reserve II are supposed to be much better than the regular Silver Reserve. They supposedly have worked out some issues the were said to have with the original SR, although I have never seen a serious issue with the original SR. Just some complaints about fit and finish, workmanship etc. is all I have ever heard about.

And really, I won't say a cheap shotgun, but for a less expensive shotgun I think the quality is on par with others in this price range. And like someone else mentioned, the SR twenty ga. is a true twenty, not a twenty on a twelve frame. To me this means the twelve is also on a twelve frame, meaning enough mechanical strength for what you are going to feed it and for what is was designed for.

Not a bad choice for the price IMO.
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.