thoughts on savage/ stevens SxS

sniperjon

thoughts on savage/ stevens SxS

Post by sniperjon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:52 am

Anyone own one? I know there are a few models. Seems like a ok older cheap used gun.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: thoughts on savage/ stevens SxS

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:47 am

It's heavy but you can't beat it for the money. I had one and sold it, wish I'd never done that! Model 311 right? Savage also made a model called "Fox". Pretty much the same gun but little better wood on it. Cost a bit more.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:55 am

Solid guns and a bit heavy as pointed out already. Known as a "farmers" shotgun for its plain stock & lack of engraving. The older ones of course only have fixed chokes. They tend to have more drop in the comb which fits some shooters exceedingly well.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 am

I have the chance buy a older fixed chokes 12 in great sharp. It fits me nice. It's got nickel on the sides rest is blued. 200 bucks.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:33 am

I saw a 16 ga. not in great shape the other day. The gun shop was asking $379. Seems to me the last time I looked at a blue book a 98% gun was listed as worth about $250. I'm not sure how you'd find a shootable SxS in decent shape for less than $200. If it fits you & you've got the young muscles & stamina to carry it all day - go for it - at that price you should always be able to get your money back out of it if you decide to sell it.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 am

I think whatever your willing to pay will be alright. $200 sounds about right to me. That shop with the 16ga for $379 is only kidding itself. That's way to much. I think you can still get them new, at least from reading other's post's it sounds like it. I'd google Savage and see.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:15 pm

sniperjon,

These weapons can vary greatly, the original Fox/Savage guns were much better weapons, made to the original Fox specifications, they were lighter, higher quality weapons, the 16's were sought after Grouse guns here in Pa. The later Savage guns were much heaver weapons made to different Savage specifications. A 12 is going to be a pretty heavy double gun, I would look for a 16 or a 20 and hope to pick up a Fox/Savage double gun for reasonable money. Look around for an original Fox/Savage 16 or 20 you will be much happier with your purchase in the long run.
RGD/Dave

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 am

I've hunted with a modell 311 in 20 gauge for a long time.( It was my 1st shotgun purchase at 16 or 17 and I'm now 45). I've owned a lot of shotguns over the years, but my bird gun is still the old savage 311. I can hit with it, and with it's 26 inch barrels, It is a good handling gun, I still carry it all day long. It has never given me any trouble or broke down in any way. The only thing I would change is the wood. I would like some nice walnut on it instead of the maple stocks that is original.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 am

Came across a 16 ga last week at a. Local pawn shop for 249$ it had a hard plastic stock, it looked too good to be real wood. So I tapped it with my fingernail and confirmed cheap plastic like a new BB gun. I have a 410 model 311 and that gun is very heavy for its gauge.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:03 am

Heavy, crude internals, poor triggers, low end steel, modicum of fit and finish...yet it will go bang.
All depends upon need, degree of use and level of satisfaction required.

setternewbie

Post by setternewbie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 am

I was given a 12ga 311. It's about brand new. VERY heavy, and this one has 30" barrells...way long for my taste. All that said, I felt like I should use it since it was a generous gift. I've gotten used to it, and after a little fitting am hitting pretty well with it. If you have the option, find one without the ejectors though. It makes the action really stiff and it can't be opened without a good bit of elbow grease. Hopefully that'll break in and get as the gun starts to wear a little.