Questions on double barrels....

Ghosted3

Questions on double barrels....

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm

I have been using a Winchester 20ga. for a long time now, but I have been wanting to change it up to either a 12ga double barrel. I was wondering what this wonderful community thinks is better and between the over under or the side by side, and why. I like the looks of a over under, but have never really used either one. Thanks for the upcoming feedback.

Corry

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions on double barrels....

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:17 am

It is strictly a personal preference. I personally prefer the sxs over the o/u. I just like the feel and looks I guess. But if you have never handled either one and like the looks of the o/u, I am thinking that is what would work better for you.

BTW, I see you are in Hillsborough....You are pretty close to me. Welcome to the forum.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:I have been using a Winchester 20ga. for a long time now, but I have been wanting to change it up to either a 12ga double barrel. I was wondering what this wonderful community thinks is better and between the over under or the side by side, and why. I like the looks of a over under, but have never really used either one. Thanks for the upcoming feedback.

Corry
Which Winchester 20 ga? Years ago I handled a mod 23 Winchester in 20ga. Would love to have one. I strongly prefer SxS's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 pm

It is a Ranger compact, and I cant remember the model number off the top of my head. Another question about the side by sides, do most people who use them pop off both shells at the same time or 1 at a time? I have not hunted in a loooong time and just starting to get back into it because my son is old enough to start, so I have so beginner questions all over again lol.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 am

The shells are meant to be used/fired one at a time.
Tom

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 am

Ghosted3,
If you are use to a single BBl Shotgun, the O/U will be easier for you to adapt your gunning too, it has a single sight plane, however a good SXS double gun is tough to beat when Grouse hunting, for clays I most times use my 20 gauge Churchill O/U. Shotguns are to be fired one BBL at a time, I would have someone teach you more about the use and proper handeling of a good double gun, when you decide to purchase one.
good luck with your purchase
RGD/Dave

Churchill 20 Gauge O/U

Two fine L.C. Smith SXS double guns

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

Corry

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

Fire a 12ga both barrels at the same time? You'd only do that once! :|
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:55 am

DonF wrote:Fire a 12ga both barrels at the same time? You'd only do that once! :|
When I was younger my best friends uncle had an older sawed off double barrel 10gauge pistol grip style. He said it was an older police riot gun. I pulled both triggers on that, blinked and seen nothing but sky :oops:

Corry

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:52 am

When I was a teenager I borrowed a o/u from a oldtimer down the road shoot at some birds that afternnoon on the way back to the truck I pulled in on a nice ringneck. After shooting at the bird I found myself on my back a was bleeding. Afrer getting my bearings realized both barrels had gone off and I ended up with a broken nose. Was not my finest hour.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:14 am

We had to save our own money from kid's jobs & select & buy our own gun. At age 12, my first was a Winchester SxS 12 ga. with nicely checkered stocks. It weighed a lot but my young muscles could handle it. Of course is quickly developed a habit of having both barrels go off occasionally. Almost always with magnum loads when duck hunting. It only knocked me on my butt one time. I was hunting in the bitter cold & snow was flying so hard you couldn't see anything until the birds were on top of you. Half frozen, I was sitting on a log about a foot & a half off the ground. I stood up to fire but with my knees still bent & with the log lodged behind my knees I torched it off. I was 12 or 13 at the time & not being able to absorb the recoil in that position soon I was looking skyward with a bloody finger from the trigger guard. The next day I was back for more fun. Eventually I found a second set of barrels at a gunsmith's shop. I snatched 'em up & had them bored for grouse. The gunsmith said the barrels in those older guns were all hand fitted but when he checked them out the second set fit pefectly without gunsmithing. He also fixed the trigger/firing pins issue.

A few years ago I carried it for fun when hunting sharptail. I spotted a covey on the ground. The gun & the birds rose at the same time to my personal record of five birds with one shot. Years ago as a youth when I was sporting the cast & crutches in the avatar photo I went ruffed grouse hunting just before dark through the snow at Thanksgiving time in Northern MN. I crutched through 120 acres of fields with my SxS to hit the woods & came back an hour and a half later with three ruffs shot in the air. I've owned & shot every style & most gauges. While I currently prefer a light, 20 ga. gas operated Beretta for most upland bird hunting, that old SxS continues the lore the older double guns carry.

Really though, it's all about fit & personal preference.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Ghosted3,
If you are use to a single BBl Shotgun, the O/U will be easier for you to adapt your gunning too, it has a single sight plane, however a good SXS double gun is tough to beat when Grouse hunting, for clays I most times use my 20 gauge Churchill O/U. Shotguns are to be fired one BBL at a time, I would have someone teach you more about the use and proper handeling of a good double gun, when you decide to purchase one.
good luck with your purchase
RGD/Dave

Churchill 20 Gauge O/U

Two fine L.C. Smith SXS double guns

DAVE has good info.
i cant hit barn with SXS or O/U.i was raised on single shot.
put a semi-auto in my hands and WATCH OUT.
put others in my hand, drop to ground :D

you have to try guns before you buy. no one can tell you what is good for you.

here is why i like SEMI-AUTO other than i was raised SINGLE SHOT.

1. recoil is real nice as you get older.
2.they feel nice and balanced
3.you get quick 2nd or 3rd shot but on GROUSE, forget it.pheasants, yes.

with other guns you can decide which CHOKE to use.you have 2 barrels BUT i have not seen reason to me that this was great vrs semi-auto.
if i have grouse fly up close, i let him get out farther ,then shoot.
same with pheasants, i let them fly out a little.
with others, you can shoot close/far.

i would find a kennel or presrve and go there when they are shooting pheasants.you will see 4 guns there.semi/pump/sxs/o/u.

TALK TO THOSE FOLKS .

here are 2 best.BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA WITH 28 INCH BARREL FOR PHEASANTS.

FRANCHI AL48 ,20GA,26 INCH BARREL for grouse.benilli is better but is 1200 dollars vrs franchi for 700 .used benilli monterfelogo at 800 in great shape is buy also.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:20 pm

BigShooter wrote:We had to save our own money from kid's jobs & select & buy our own gun. At age 12, my first was a Winchester SxS 12 ga. with nicely checkered stocks. It weighed a lot but my young muscles could handle it. Of course is quickly developed a habit of having both barrels go off occasionally. Almost always with magnum loads when duck hunting. It only knocked me on my butt one time. I was hunting in the bitter cold & snow was flying so hard you couldn't see anything until the birds were on top of you. Half frozen, I was sitting on a log about a foot & a half off the ground. I stood up to fire but with my knees still bent & with the log lodged behind my knees I torched it off. I was 12 or 13 at the time & not being able to absorb the recoil in that position soon I was looking skyward with a bloody finger from the trigger guard. The next day I was back for more fun. Eventually I found a second set of barrels at a gunsmith's shop. I snatched 'em up & had them bored for grouse. The gunsmith said the barrels in those older guns were all hand fitted but when he checked them out the second set fit pefectly without gunsmithing. He also fixed the trigger/firing pins issue.

A few years ago I carried it for fun when hunting sharptail. I spotted a covey on the ground. The gun & the birds rose at the same time to my personal record of five birds with one shot. Years ago as a youth when I was sporting the cast & crutches in the avatar photo I went ruffed grouse hunting just before dark through the snow at Thanksgiving time in Northern MN. I crutched through 120 acres of fields with my SxS to hit the woods & came back an hour and a half later with three ruffs shot in the air. I've owned & shot every style & most gauges. While I currently prefer a light, 20 ga. gas operated Beretta for most upland bird hunting, that old SxS continues the lore the older double guns carry.

Really though, it's all about fit & personal preference.

beretta uricka in 20ga is real nice. but i feel for pheasantsa 12 ga is what i like.
beretta is over 1000 dollars now.
so i rec a FRANCHI AL48 IN 20 GA.
but its not gun that beretta is,no even close.

but for grouse hunting, ITS BEST in my opinion for us older farts ,58 yrs young that want a nice light gun with 3 chokes .
beretta is better because its gas operated and handles 3 inch shells.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:43 pm

JIM K wrote:beretta uricka in 20ga is real nice. but i feel for pheasantsa 12 ga is what i like.
beretta is over 1000 dollars now.
so i rec a FRANCHI AL48 IN 20 GA.
but its not gun that beretta is,no even close.

but for grouse hunting, ITS BEST in my opinion for us older farts ,58 yrs young that want a nice light gun with 3 chokes .
beretta is better because its gas operated and handles 3 inch shells.

Late in the year when the trophy pheasants have developed thicker plumage I'll often move down a shot size or two & shoot 3" shells in a 20 ga or move to a 12 ga. 90% of my upland hunting is with a 20 or 16.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it