Shipping a shotgun

rinker

Shipping a shotgun

Post by rinker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 am

I have a shotgun that I need to send to the manufacturer for some work. I stopped by the local ups/fedex store and they told me that they could not do it. How do I mail a shotgun?

klewis

Re: Shipping a shotgun

Post by klewis » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am

go to your local gun shop they can send it and recieve it back for you, Ive done this a few timesw in the past.works for me.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am

Shouldn't need a ffl for sending and receiving a gun you own. Just need to talk to USPS or ups about the shipping. Had a gun to Stoeger and back no issues.
Last edited by ACooper on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 am

You must have been talking to the slow person you do have to go directly to the UPS or Fedex
but yes you can mail guns to the manufacturer or to a gun store
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Dont go to a UPS store. Go to the main shipping warehouse.

For whatever reason the privately owned Ups "Stores" can ship firearms. Heck they wouldnt even let me ship a 10/22 barrel.

(do NOT go to a gunshop, they will charge you out the...you know what)
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Any suggestions as to how to pack it. I do not have the original box. Would you put it in a hard case and then put the case in a box?

carlrh42

Post by carlrh42 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Use the post office.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm

rinker wrote:Any suggestions as to how to pack it. I do not have the original box. Would you put it in a hard case and then put the case in a box?
The Ups Store (you know the one that cant ship it) should have rifle boxes. I'd just box it up and pack it real good (old news papers, foam peanuts, whatever)
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 pm

post office has to look at gun,THEN you can wrap it.dont wrapo it first or they may make you reopen box.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 am

Is it warranty work? If so, the gun shop you purchased it from can handle the shipping. You will most likely end up paying actual shipping costs though.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:27 am

I want to give a plug to the Indiana gun Club. I spoke to them and they said that they will ship it for me for just the cost of the packing material and actual postage.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Good for them. Everyone makes a big deal out shipping guns.
I went to purchase a rifle box, box only from a UPS Store and the lady told me I cannot ship guns. I asked why they sell rifle boxes then and she couldn't answer.
UPS will ship guns no problem but you have to go to a UPS counter not a UPS Store. The Stores can ship them but refuse to, for whatever reason. So I just don't do business with them.
You can ship and receive a gun that is out for repairs without an FFL. If you are selling a gun, you can ship without an FFL but you have to ship to an FFL for receiving.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 am

I always have my dealer ship them. It seems like they get returned faster if processed thrrough a dealer.

Shane M

Post by Shane M » Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 pm

I am a gun dealer you can ship ups fed ex or the post office if they refuse tell them to read the laws.You only have to ship to a ffl don't have to have a ffl ship it for you.When I ship thru post office they are wrapped and boxed before they ever go there you just have to declare what is in the box.