cheap o/u?

ibbowhunting

cheap o/u?

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:03 pm

ok ,i'm thinking of buying a cheaper o/u 28 ga never had a 28 ga or an over and under mostly 12ga pump or 20 ga single and 410 single and pistol, for hunting ruffed grouse, when training my new pup, 28ga would have little less zap then a 20 or a 12 the first gun i looked at is a stoger, new in 28 ga this year also the cheapest also a steven in a 28 ga or a mossberg o/u, i own a mossberg pump which i've properly named the jamomatic so mossberg is not my first choice,i've aways own cheaper guns because they get banged around i'm looking for more of a work horse then a show horse of guns in a over and under let me now what you think of my cheap choices and is there others i should look into. all of the above guns i would have to order from my local gun shop all three of the above guns are less then 600 dollars. which i don't really have a budget. i guess which o/u would be the best bang for my buck?

bb560m

Re: cheap o/u?

Post by bb560m » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:23 pm

I have a Stoeger 12ga o/u and have no problem smacking birds & clays. I'd get it again for the price I paid ($300 or $350 new I think).

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Check out the mossberg silver reserve, much lighter than the Stoger .......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:06 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Check out the mossberg silver reserve, much lighter than the Stoger .......
mossberg silver reserve 28 ga 6.3 lbs MSRP 672.00

stoeger condor new in 28 ga 6.0 lbs MSRP 449.00

stevens 512 gold wing 28 ga 6.75 lbs MSRP 688.00

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Interesting, I will say then, the silver reserve I have handles like a much lighter/quicker gun than the Stoger.....Im surprised the 28 ga is near the same.
My brothers stoger reminds me of holding a log as compared to the silver reserve.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I've had several Mossberg pumps, never had one jamb. Cheaper is really , inexpensive. There's a lot of inexpensive guns around, that aren't necessarily cheap. I got a couple Habicts years ago in Germany. Spanish guns and they were inexpeensive and cheap! I looked at a Mossberg O/U not long after they came out. They appeared to be a nice gun but bulky. I wasn't in the market anyway and have no need of an O/U, I shoot SxS's. The only gun I ever had a real problem with was a Stoger O/U years ago. Got to dropping both hammer's at the same time. Was a very nice looking gun and handled fairly well. Ithica used to import an SKB O/U that was a very nice gun. Don't know if it came in 28ga though.

If it were me and I wanted to try an O/U again, I'd probably give Stoger one more shot. It was good looking and fair handling and everybody puts out a Monday product now and then.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:46 pm

CZ
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

bobwhite rules

Post by bobwhite rules » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:30 pm

I bought 2, Emperor firearms, O/U ders, mind you the 28 does kick some,410, walk in the park, you may wont to pay extra for ejectors. Mike :mrgreen: Winston Salem

BirdBuster

Post by BirdBuster » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm

2 years ago, I found myself in the same situation you are in. I did the research and handled several guns. I bought a TriStar 28 gauge. It weighs 5 pounds even, and is a joy to carry. Still have the gun and have carried it on a lot of hunting trips. I have had zero issues with it. I would not hesitate to buy another one. It is made on a 28 gauge frame. The Mossberg and Stevens are made on a 20 gauge frame. If I wanted a 20 gauge frame, I would buy a 20 gauge. The guns can be bought new for around $550.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm

BirdBuster wrote:2 years ago, I found myself in the same situation you are in. I did the research and handled several guns. I bought a TriStar 28 gauge. It weighs 5 pounds even, and is a joy to carry. Still have the gun and have carried it on a lot of hunting trips. I have had zero issues with it. I would not hesitate to buy another one. It is made on a 28 gauge frame. The Mossberg and Stevens are made on a 20 gauge frame. If I wanted a 20 gauge frame, I would buy a 20 gauge. The guns can be bought new for around $550.
I agree on the frame. If I were to buy a 28 ga., I want a 28 ga. frame.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:08 pm

BirdBuster wrote:2 years ago, I found myself in the same situation you are in. I did the research and handled several guns. I bought a TriStar 28 gauge. It weighs 5 pounds even, and is a joy to carry. Still have the gun and have carried it on a lot of hunting trips. I have had zero issues with it. I would not hesitate to buy another one. It is made on a 28 gauge frame. The Mossberg and Stevens are made on a 20 gauge frame. If I wanted a 20 gauge frame, I would buy a 20 gauge. The guns can be bought new for around $550.
looks like a great gun where you get it from a big box store or a gun shop? if you don't mind me asking

BirdBuster

Post by BirdBuster » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 am

I first saw one at either "bleep" Sporting Goods or Sportsmans Warehouse, can't remember which one. After the search had ended, I had a local gun shop order it for me. I have seen a couple of new ones listed on GunBroker also. When you search for it online, make sure you are looking at the one thas has a silver receiver. TriStar also had a 28 gauge that came with a blue receiver. The blued guns are different. They are heavy. The new ones have an aluminum receiver, they come with 28" barrels and 5 choke tubes. The only modifications I done to mine, I had the length of pull shortened and bought some new choke tubes. They use the Beretta Mobil chokes, so they are easy to buy. I bought a complete Beretta set of 6 off GunBroke for $60. If you have any questions, PM me.

BirdBuster

Post by BirdBuster » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 am

Just looked on GunBroker. There is a 28 gauge Tristar Hunter EX listed for $525 buy it now + $25 shipping. It is like the one I have got. The listing number is 278199265.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 am

I have a TriStar in the 20 ga and have not had a problem with it outside of that it doesn't fit me quite right. I can only imagine what the 28 ga (5#) is like because the 20 , at 6# ( a pound lighter than the others you mention) is like a feather in my hands. I actually have to add some weight in the butstock when I use it for waterfowl or it beats me up. I am considering a 28 ga at some point.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

SKB made a great 28 g in the 505 Line. Super Gun.

BirdBuster

Post by BirdBuster » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 pm

mcbosco wrote:SKB made a great 28 g in the 505 Line. Super Gun.
SKB, no doubt, makes a good gun. I never have considered them for myself, due to their weight. The 28 guage weighs around 6 1/4 pounds. A lot of 20 gauges weigh less than that.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 am

BirdBuster wrote:
SKB, no doubt, makes a good gun. I never have considered them for myself, due to their weight. The 28 guage weighs around 6 1/4 pounds. A lot of 20 gauges weigh less than that.
6 1/4 is light to me, my dog is 93lbs :lol:

Seriously, does 1 lb or less make that much difference?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:16 am

A difference of one pound in a shotgun makes a huge difference when you are covering a lot of ground and hunting a considerable length of time.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:21 am

birddogger wrote:
A difference of one pound in a shotgun makes a huge difference when you are covering a lot of ground and hunting a considerable length of time.

Charlie
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That kind of differential is just not meaningful to me. I usually carry my O/U's over my shoulder when walking anyway, so I wouldn't even notice.

BirdBuster

Post by BirdBuster » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:58 am

mcbosco wrote:
BirdBuster wrote:
6 1/4 is light to me, my dog is 93lbs :lol:

Your dog weigh's as much as I do. LOL! I can tell a big difference in a half pound variation. It is hard to tell at the beginning of a hunt, but a couple hours in, change guns. You will be suprised in the difference.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:14 am

I bought a Stoeger 20g O/ U for my first double gun, Its kinda heavy but havent had any issues yet. It sure has made a difference when going from an pump to a o/u as far as hitting more birds. I've been shooting this gun for a few years, but now want to upgrade to a gun that I will shoot for the next 20 years. I have been looking at the Franchi's 20g SL in 26" or 28". They shoulder real nice, light and balanced. For 1200.00 I wouldn't say thats cheap, but alot cheaper than alot of o/u's.
sure seems like the selection of over and unders at the gun shops are not that much of a priority to have on hand, around here anyway, most shops seem to carry the stoegers and mossbergs.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

i think the tri star 28ga ex hunter is the gun for me after birdbuster lead me to it, just have to save my pennys up to get one by this fall

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:ok ,i'm thinking of buying a cheaper o/u 28 ga never had a 28 ga or an over and under mostly 12ga pump or 20 ga single and 410 single and pistol, for hunting ruffed grouse, when training my new pup, 28ga would have little less zap then a 20 or a 12 the first gun i looked at is a stoger, new in 28 ga this year also the cheapest also a steven in a 28 ga or a mossberg o/u, i own a mossberg pump which i've properly named the jamomatic so mossberg is not my first choice,i've aways own cheaper guns because they get banged around i'm looking for more of a work horse then a show horse of guns in a over and under let me now what you think of my cheap choices and is there others i should look into. all of the above guns i would have to order from my local gun shop all three of the above guns are less then 600 dollars. which i don't really have a budget. i guess which o/u would be the best bang for my buck?
My take on a cheap gun is this, invest $1000 on a quality used O/U, shoot it for 10-20 years and its still worth around $800-$1000 bucks, that less than $20 a year. Bought a nice Ruger Red Label in 1992 for $850 I could sell it for $750 tommorow, so about $4 a year and it is a work horse not a show horse. I plan on using it for another 30 years then passing on to one of my sons to use.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

I'll part with my Browning Citori 28G O/U for 1200. Another consignment gun... PM me for contact info if interested.

When my Ithaca SKB 20 S/S and the Citori 28 sell, that should cover my costs of what I already carried out of the store (Beretta Silver Pigeon) along with an M1 I hope to purchase with the leftover change. My only concern are those 17% commissions. If there is not enough leftover for the M1 an SKS will have to do... I'm getting ready people! ....lol

I'm keeping my main skeet gun, a backup skeet gun, a beater for the birds, two pistols, and then the M1 or SKS. and then of course there is my broken 1100 20 STD which I may end up offering it up as a free parts gun to Greg Jennings if I can't get those action bars.
A good bird dog is always the right color

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 pm

For the money I have not found a better gun. If you have a Academy sports near you the O/U are 399.00. Several relatives and friends have them in all gauge but 410 and they have held up well. Much better gun than the tri star in my opinion.
http://www.yildizshotgun.com/maineng.html
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:49 pm

which model would compare what you seen in the 28 ga for $399

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:58 pm

found it thanks never heard of academy sports though
Yildiz SPZ ME28 28 Gauge Break-Action Over-and-Under Shotgun

Price: $429.99

desullivan

Post by desullivan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:17 am

Stoegers at around $400 are unbeatable and great for the field-no worrying about scratches/moisture etc.

American Arms if they still make them.

Stilly Bay

Post by Stilly Bay » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:03 pm

you don't buy cheap O/U's, you only rent them.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm

what do the double barrel users think of double triggers instead of one?

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 am

Stilly Bay wrote:you don't buy cheap O/U's, you only rent them.
You got that right.

Yildi is a good gun but not readily available. I will attach a couple suggestions.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/redhead ... 84482.html

Here is what I have been shooting for the past 3 or 4 years and I could not be more happy and I (unfortunately) have not had any desire to buy a new shotgun. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/woodcoc ... 84500.html

Here is one more. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/wingsho ... 22009.html

Tough, depenable guns that don't cost too much wich makes for exellent field guns IMO. I don't shed any tears when mine gets a new scar or gets caught in the rain.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

jwilcher

Post by jwilcher » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:52 am

I would look at a Yildiz. They can be bought from Academy sporting goods. If you do not live near one, find a friend who does and have them ship it to your local FFL like I did. Check out the 28ga here http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ou&Ntk=All
The 20 ga is listed at 5.8lbs so I imagine the 28 to be around 5.5 or less. These guns have auto ejectors and screw in chokes. Briley is the place that services them since they are a turkish company, that should speak to you about these little guns. I personally have the 12ga, and even at 7 lbs its cake to pack chukar hunting here in NV.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:53 pm

I have 2 Yildiz, one in 12 ga. and one in 20 ga. Love both of them and shoot without fail. Lightest guns I have ever owned and tightest locking action I have ever seen. 20 gauge probably has 500 rounds through it and still locks up like the day I got it. Here in Oklahoma where I live, we use swamp coolers in the area because of the dry air out here in the panhandle. I am not sure what type of bluing process Yildiz uses but it is fantastic. I have to pull out most of my guns at least 2 or 3 times throughout the summer and clean them to keep the rust off them but the Yildiz has never developed any type of surface rust due to humidity in the house and has never done it even when hunting in really cold weather and bringing them into a warm house. Just wipe them down and put them up and they are fine. The wood on the stocks is unique for each gun. No cookie cutter patterns so if you ever decide to buy one look at all the guns they have in stock to find the pattern and color you like. They shoot right where you point and swing very well even a bit on the light side for a big guy like me. I have owned Stoeger, Baikal, Mossberg Silver Reserve, and some Spanish made side by sides and over/unders. These are the lightest, nicest pointing, straightest shooting, most reliable shotguns I have ever owned. The only thing that sucks is having to buy your extra chokes from Briley rather than just being able to run out and buy them from Academy or Gander Mountain a big box sporting goods store. All warranty work is handled through Briley here in the U.S. anyway.

I have been waiting on them to make a 28 gauge so I think I know what my next gun is going to be. Thanks for posting this.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:15 am

Yildiz. I have 2 a 20 guage and 410. Both have worked flawlessly. Best gun for the money.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:49 am

Yildiz is a nice cheap o/u I have one that was abused for about 9000 rounds than I cleaned it and put 2000 more through it and broke the ejector got in touch with them in an email and they sent me a set of ejectors at no charge had a local gunsmith fit them and cut 4 inches off the barrel and tap it for chokes now I have a really nice gun for about $550. It weighs right at 5 lbs and swings nice.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 pm

CZ or Yildiz

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Cabelas in Px has the Win 101 for $999 this saturday.

I have a Stoeger Condor 20ga. It is heavy and really stiff but really cheap. I don't worry about sitting it down while dog training.

I also (wife really) have a Savage 20 ga. It is much lighter and with 5 chokes. I love the extractors instead of ejectors. 2x cost of Stoeger and pretty stiff.

I would trade them both for the 101.

armand

Post by armand » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am

my selef i like two triggers on my sxs

jwilcher

Post by jwilcher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I have 2 Yildiz, one in 12 ga. and one in 20 ga. Love both of them and shoot without fail. Lightest guns I have ever owned and tightest locking action I have ever seen. 20 gauge probably has 500 rounds through it and still locks up like the day I got it. Here in Oklahoma where I live, we use swamp coolers in the area because of the dry air out here in the panhandle. I am not sure what type of bluing process Yildiz uses but it is fantastic. I have to pull out most of my guns at least 2 or 3 times throughout the summer and clean them to keep the rust off them but the Yildiz has never developed any type of surface rust due to humidity in the house and has never done it even when hunting in really cold weather and bringing them into a warm house. Just wipe them down and put them up and they are fine. The wood on the stocks is unique for each gun. No cookie cutter patterns so if you ever decide to buy one look at all the guns they have in stock to find the pattern and color you like. They shoot right where you point and swing very well even a bit on the light side for a big guy like me. I have owned Stoeger, Baikal, Mossberg Silver Reserve, and some Spanish made side by sides and over/unders. These are the lightest, nicest pointing, straightest shooting, most reliable shotguns I have ever owned. The only thing that sucks is having to buy your extra chokes from Briley rather than just being able to run out and buy them from Academy or Gander Mountain a big box sporting goods store. All warranty work is handled through Briley here in the U.S. anyway.

I have been waiting on them to make a 28 gauge so I think I know what my next gun is going to be. Thanks for posting this.
No problem. If anyone outside of the area of academy needs any help getting one I have a buddy in texas that buys them for me. He is a fellow gun nut and picks the tightest guns with the best wood and metal to wood fit. I was a big time CZ fan until I had a yildiz. My SPZ ME 12 has a better fit and finish than my Redhead did hands down and was $300 less. No brainer.