Ruger Red Label

JWP58

Ruger Red Label

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 am

So i've been looking high and low for a new shotgun. I had decided on either a CZ bobwhite or Canvasback.....but then i started thinking (dangerous business there)

I really like the look of the ruger red label O/U's. They are plain, but yet elegant. I really like the fact that the reciever doesnt have any cheesey laser engraving. I've heard they are heavy, 7lbs for a 20ga (which is the ga that i want, and it doesnt seem all that heavy...i dont lift weights for nothing right?). Is that the only issue with these shotguns? Keep in mind this will probably be a hunting shotgun, i MIGHT get into clays sports some day.

Any feedback on these shotguns (and ya i know ruger just dropped them, thats my luck)
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

ckirsch

Re: Ruger Red Label

Post by ckirsch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 am

I've been shooting a Red Label 12 for the past six or seven years and it's been a good gun. Ruger doesn't spend any extra on their wood, and the gun is a bit heavy, but it has never let me down. I'm not that worried about a few extra ounces as the extra exercise is good for me. Not a fancy gun, but a solid value.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 am

thanks. They dont seem to be very popular, maybe another reason i'm drawn to them....
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I think Ruger stopped making the Red Label last year (2011), so if you want a new one, better grab one quick!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Yep. I'm going to get a new shotgun before the coming season starts so there should be some 20ga red labels out there still (in theory lol).

klewis

Post by klewis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 pm

I have been using ruger red lables for about 14 years ,no problems at all. have 12,20,and 28 ga. but the 28 is the only one i use,its only 6 lbs.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:03 pm

I have shot 1000's of round with my red label 12 in competition. Never had one problem with it. Its about 15 yrs old now. I don't carry it much when I hunt, I like to use a 20 for hunting.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm

I like them too. You can have the auto safety changed if you don't like it and it does take a little time to get used to the way the receiver just flops open. They are a good deal used. The stainless receiver is great looking.

coveydogs

Post by coveydogs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I had a red label in 12. Heavy gun, not much fun carrying, depending on what you hunt and how you hunt... It only took 1 chukar season for me to give that gun up.

I have a Beretta 686 in a 20 with black receiver, I'm not much for the engraving either. Nice gun, around 6lbs, it gets my recommendation.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:38 pm

While i'm sure the Berettas are nice guns, they are out of my price range.

Honestly if i cant find a Red Label in person i wont buy one. I need to see how it feels. Probably just go with a Bobwhite and save the cash.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm

I bought a Beretta 686 12 ga used for 500 bucks at a local dealer about 3 or 4 years ago.....been used hard but in good shape and shoots just fine....for me I swing a bit heavier gun better, however in the grouse woods a shorter barreled, lighter 20 would be nice.....

Im looking at some 28 ga's.......whats the red label in 28 weigh?

coveydogs

Post by coveydogs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Yeah Beretta's are a bit more $$. I got mine used as well. I think the red label 28 is just over 6lbs.

Are you stuck on over/under? My next gun will be a Benelli Montefeltro, I'm a fan of really light guns, in a 20 gauge it is about 5.5 lbs. I would go with a Legacy in 28 but I don't want to pay/find for the ammo. For me light guns are the ticket, not great for shooting targets with but fun to carry in the chukar hills and if you are used to them they hit just as well. I understand people who like a heavier gun, they swing better for some and they have less felt recoil. To each their own.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 pm

No. The CZ Bobwhite is a SxS. I've looked at the Benelli's. I'd probably go with an M2 w/24". But i have a semi-auto 12ga.

Im not real concerned about weight. Im young, in good shape. A 7lb O/U isnt going to hurt me. I was just drawn to the simplicity and price of the Ruger.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm

I would'nt overlook an Ithaca....if the opportunity presented itself either....
just another option...

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:23 pm

I have owned a Stainless All Weather Ruger with the synthetic stock and forearm for 9 years now basically indestructible and lighter than the wooden version.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 pm

lvrgsp wrote:I would'nt overlook an Ithaca....if the opportunity presented itself either....
just another option...
lol great more options! Those S&W Elite SxS look very nice aswell. I could spend that kind of coin on a bird gun, but i still want an Astro.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 am

I have a Ruger Red Label in a 12 gauge and it is a sweet gun, well made, built like a tank and just slightly lighter than one too.

I also have O/U 12 gauges by Browning and Beretta, again fine guns. A few years ago I decided it was time to get a 20 o/u, i just didnt feel like spending $$$ for a Ruger,Browning, or Beretta for what initially was just gonna be a niche gun for me. I ended up by a CZ Canvasback, heard they were well made guns at a fair price, figured what the heck, I'll give it a try.

It didnt take long until the CZ became my main hunting gun. I use it on everything now with the exception of December Dakota pheasant and the rare occasion that I hunt waterfowl. Lightweight, great handeling, well made, decent fit and finish and has never had a single reliability issue.

So a big +1 for the Canvasback from me.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:25 pm

After much diliberation, i'm just going to forget about the RRL.

CZ for me.

Stilly Bay

Post by Stilly Bay » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Smart man!
the only RRL I would buy is the 28 gauge... but that would only happen if I was forced to choose.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:16 pm

JWP58 wrote:After much diliberation, i'm just going to forget about the RRL.

CZ for me.
Life is to short to own a ugly gun, spend the extra change you won't be disappointed, IMO the Red Label is the finest looking O/U there is, on top of that American made.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 pm

CZ for me.
You know, for about the same money you can get a DeHaan SGr. http://www.dhshotguns.com/ I think I read somewhere they are made by the same Turkish company that builds the CZ shotguns.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 pm

nj gsp wrote:

CZ for me.
You know, for about the same money you can get a DeHaan SGr. http://www.dhshotguns.com/ I think I read somewhere they are made by the same Turkish company that builds the CZ shotguns.
Oh yes, i know all about Mark Dehaans Huglu shotguns (yes they are the same turkish manf. that makes the CZ guns). I have considered going that route. But in the end, its just a CZ with upgraded wood. An extra 1k for better wood?.....

Anyone have feedback on the Weatherby Athena D'tialia SxS?

dougroch

Post by dougroch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Red Labels had some serious quality issues at one point and that really hurt their sales and perhaps contributed to the line being discontinued. That said 2 of my 3 handguns are Rugers one of which I conceal carry daily so I have nothing against Ruger.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Jw,

i bought a Ruger Red Label 20 o/u last summer, used at a local gunshop, excellent condition but still pricey. A very nice looking, well built gun. Perhaps a bit heavy for a 20 as others have previously noted on here, however as a grouse hunter it may help me to get on the bird quicker as it points well. Very glad I bought it.

eric