Purchasing of ammo....

Ghosted3

Purchasing of ammo....

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 pm

I was just wondering if there is a general place that is cheaper than the rest, or do most of you just go to your favorite place and just wait for good deals?

Corry

gotpointers

Re: Purchasing of ammo....

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 am

I have a really hard time finding better deals than walmart. I reload my 16 and 28 guage shells but 12 and 20 i usually buy there. I had bought quite a few cases back when it was 2.99 a box so i just add a few boxes to the pile here and there. I never see it go down just up, So i stock up. I should have put my 401k into ammunition. :D

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 am

I stock pile also, Walmart has given me some real deals, trap loads for $4 or under, picked up three cases of Win. Supreme lead 1 3/4 oz loads for $5, I would have bought 20 cases if they had them. I can't think of a time in the last 20 years I've paid retail for a box.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:54 am

nikegundog wrote:I stock pile also, Walmart has given me some real deals, trap loads for $4 or under, picked up three cases of Win. Supreme lead 1 3/4 oz loads for $5, I would have bought 20 cases if they had them. I can't think of a time in the last 20 years I've paid retail for a box.
+1 on Wal-mart, I usually swing by the sporting goods dept when I am in just to check, never know what kind of deal you might get.

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:09 pm

I usually wait till I get coupons and stock up, sportsmanship warehouse gives you 5 percent off for buying a case and they have some coupons in there flyers for 10 dollars off a 50 purchase. Cabelas has some on clearance every time I go buy too.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:40 pm

WAL-MART and i like BLUE BOX federals in 7and 1/2 shot.patterned real good out of my franchi 20ga.i also bought 10 boxes for 4.77,now they are 5.77.

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:09 am

Walmart is as cheap as any!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:48 am

gotpointers wrote:I have a really hard time finding better deals than walmart. I reload my 16 and 28 guage shells but 12 and 20 i usually buy there. I had bought quite a few cases back when it was 2.99 a box so i just add a few boxes to the pile here and there. I never see it go down just up, So i stock up. I should have put my 401k into ammunition. :D
How much does it run (if you dont mind me asking) to set up a reloading system? I am waiting for my 16ga. Stoger to get here. and I know that 16ga shells are a fair share higher than 12ga and 20ga shells, so what all is needed to set up a small reload station?

Thanks
Corry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:25 am

reloading is a LOT more expensive than when i started in 1968.
if you are going to do a LOT of shooting, it is way to go.
if not, try to find a dealer /warehouse that may have your shells on SALE and buy a box of them.
i think you get 250 shells per box.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
gotpointers wrote:I have a really hard time finding better deals than walmart. I reload my 16 and 28 guage shells but 12 and 20 i usually buy there. I had bought quite a few cases back when it was 2.99 a box so i just add a few boxes to the pile here and there. I never see it go down just up, So i stock up. I should have put my 401k into ammunition. :D
How much does it run (if you dont mind me asking) to set up a reloading system? I am waiting for my 16ga. Stoger to get here. and I know that 16ga shells are a fair share higher than 12ga and 20ga shells, so what all is needed to set up a small reload station?

Thanks
Corry

Its pretty cheap, I am gonna quote a new mec single stage at about 140$ from midway usa. Or about 60$ used if you can find one. Walmart carries the powder for about 21.00 and a bag of # 7 from sportsmans warehouse i think i paid 39.00 last year. the 209 cheddite primers i have had around for over 10 years i think it was 16.00 per thousand at the trap club back then i had bought 10,000 and i still have some left. Sorry for not being current on prices. I stockpiled pretty well back then. I have just bought shot and powder lately. I see no reason you can't get completey set up for less than 200$ wads are around 7$ for A bag of 250. The hulls i just reuse the federals from walmart. I know i am not supposed to but i do anyways.
I think you will love the 16. Its all i shoot now for upland. Ballistic products inc is a great place to shop their website.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm

JIM K wrote:reloading is a LOT more expensive than when i started in 1968.
if not, try to find a dealer /warehouse that may have your shells on SALE and buy a box of them.
I do not plan on clay shooting or anything like that, but I am hunting again 95% for my son, so I don't know how often how much he might wan to go to the range and fire off some. Ideally I would like to fire only at birds, but ya never know.

Corry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
JIM K wrote:reloading is a LOT more expensive than when i started in 1968.
I do not plan on clay shooting or anything like that, but I am hunting again 95% for my son, so I don't know how often how much he might wan to go to the range and fire off some. Ideally I would like to fire only at birds, but ya never know.

Corry
my brother bought THOUSANDS of dollars on guns/ammo for his son and he only hunted 1 year.
lack of game in pa has many kids not hunting.
another thing you could do is find friend that reloads. buy dies and powder etc and let him load your shells.
me i would buy shells by the crate on sale.