Inconsistent powder drops

codym

Inconsistent powder drops

Post by codym » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:16 pm

So I set up a new mec 650 jr 20 ga loader. In the past I've always used a universal charge bar and just adjusted my drops to suit my recipe. I had some bushings lying around so I decided to try a 7/8 oz load that calls for 14.6 of green dot max. According to my bushing chart a #24 bushing should drop 14.5, but real world I consistently get 13.1. Is this common for these bushings to be so far off?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Inconsistent powder drops

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Yes, its pretty normal and why i weigh my loads and get an average, then decide which bushing serves you best.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 am

Very normal, with some powders especially....tho seldom more than a bushing either side.
One can hone or tape them but the low price would indicate test and mark is wisest.....volumes thrown may be off but the powder drop will be consistent if the loader operation is consistent.
I had more issues with the adjustable bar...I prefer bushings.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 am

I start with the closest under throwing bushing and open it up. When you get it close, polish it very smooth. I use Iosso bore cleaner because I have it. Toothpaste would probably work about as well.

codym

Post by codym » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 am

I guess I will buy some more bushings, What problems have you had with the adjustable bar? I just set it and double check it every once in a while but it's always just where I left it.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:07 am

The adj. bar never appeared as consistent, may have been me.
Many folsk love them.
I loaded a variety of recipes with several powders....simplest, once correct, to use bushings, for me.
I do understand the appeal and marketing appeal of a single bar, use what works for you is best.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 am

A polished bushing *does* throw more consistent. Way back when, I did a statistical analysis on it. What can I say, I was a math major in college at the time.

Another thing to look at. If you are shooting in competition with reloads, weigh the charge of shot thrown. I always found mine to be throwing light and opened them up. It was worth a few more shot in the pattern.

Greg J.

codym

Post by codym » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Good info thanks guys.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:14 am

Green Dot, IMO, has a habit of metering poorly. I now shoot Clays for several reasons.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:29 am

Are you using the powder baffle that comes with the adjustable bar for the bushings? I hate bushings. I love how i can tune the shot discharge perfectly for the perfect crimp with an adjustable bar. All my loaders have the adjustable except my mec progressive 20 guage loader. I think its a POS and i should have stuck with the Jr.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:Green Dot, IMO, has a habit of metering poorly. I now shoot Clays for several reasons.

I use green dot because that is what I can get most consistenly right now. A couple years ago we had a sportsmans warehouse and I used clays from there and it was pretty good. The metering I get with green dot is pretty darn consistent out of the universal bar as well as the bushings, the inconsistency was with what the charts were suggesting the bushings should drop and what they were actually dropping. Does that make sense?

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm

gotpointers wrote:Are you using the powder baffle that comes with the adjustable bar for the bushings? I hate bushings. I love how i can tune the shot discharge perfectly for the perfect crimp with an adjustable bar. All my loaders have the adjustable except my mec progressive 20 guage loader. I think its a POS and i should have stuck with the Jr.

I only have a universal bar on my 12 ga sizemaster and yes I use the baffle on that. I'm with you about the bushings I order a few more and they weren't what I need either. I'm just gonna spend the money for another universal for my 20.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Try the baffle with the bushings. If you need a parts i may already have them or something from sportsmans text me.

codym

Post by codym » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:34 am

gotpointers wrote:Try the baffle with the bushings. If you need a parts i may already have them or something from sportsmans text me.

Thanks, I was out your way this weekend for the NM state bodybuilding show looks like you guys have been getting rain. Also you price of hay is 2-3 dollars cheaper per bale than what I find down here. We have got decent rain this summer so I think it's just farmers taking advantage of last year. I'm trying to figure out if spending the money to go get it from up there is any savings from buying it down here.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am

Its rained almost daily. I can get you pretty good small bales for 7.00 from my neighbor. Or 3 x 3 bales 800 lb ,of #1 horse hay for 120 they also have 3 strand arizona bales for 17 around here.

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Thats not bad I will proably be giving you a call in a couple weeks when I need to stock up