Reducing the stock

Mollyontherun

Reducing the stock

Post by Mollyontherun » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm considering reducing the length of the stock on my 20 G Gas Auto Loader by two or three inches. I'm having to reach forward too much for my comfort. My thought was to use a band saw.

Is this a workable idea? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks,

MOTR

jimbo&rooster

Re: Reducing the stock

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:47 pm

I have done a couple of pump guns I used to duck hunt with. Its pretty straight forward. I like to cut em off with a band saw then get a grind to fit buttpad and shape it for a cleaner fit. The only thing you might consider being an auto, is if there is the return spring in the stock for the action and how far down the stock it goes.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:00 am

3"?...how tall are you, may I ask?

Dependent upon the stock bolt, etc., likely ok.
I would tho look for a cheap damaged stock on ebay or at a smith and use that to see before I would let the sawdust fly on a good stock....or get a child's stock and go that route for a bit.
But, good luck....too short a stock can thump the bejeezus out of a person.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Mountaineer wrote:too short a stock can thump the bejeezus out of a person.

This is a good point also. I used to take abot an inch off of my waterfowl guns to accomodate the addition of extra layers. I chopped my first BPS alittle more than I planned and it would beat me to death till I put a new stock on it.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm

3"?...how tall are you, may I ask?
I'm 5' 9".

I'm using a Limb Saver recoil pad on the gun.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:05 pm

At that height, a 12" stock would be a mistake.

If there is a "reach" problem then it is either clothing or mount caused.
Both of which can be more easily and successfuly addressed than hacking of a gunstock.
imo

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 pm

If there is a "reach" problem then it is either clothing or mount caused.
Interesting... because my Rem. 1100 fits me very well. I think I'll do some measuring with a tape to examine the difference.

jwilcher

Post by jwilcher » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:22 am

Couple of things.. what is the current LOP? Around 14-14.5 is average. If you just want to account for the recoil pad? Cut about an 1/8" less than the thickness of the pad off. If you need it smaller and want a recoil pad I would suggest getting fitted by a smith rather than guessing.
You will need a framing square if you do it yourself. First mask the general area you are going to cut with masking tape to avoid chipping the wood.Turn the shotgun upside down so its resting on the rib. Set the square on the table like an "L" and mark where you want to cut using the straight edge, this ensures the gun will meet your body at 90 degrees. Remove the stock from the gun. A band saw works well. Square it up on a disk sander, then fit your recoil pad.

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 pm

2 or 3 inches sounds like a lot
Fester

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Fester wrote:2 or 3 inches sounds like a lot
Fester
Defintitely overkill. Keep in mind, too-short of a stock will beat the h*ll out of you.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:23 pm

i still use a deep hack saw to cut stocks. I lay them out on both sides and with the hack saw i can keep them square. i will also adjust pitch if necessary. I have done them on the bandsaw but the little bit of extra time i save there is also potential for an oops. Remington 1100 is 14 1/4" typically. Youth guns are around 13". At 5'-9" a youth gun length would be a good start unless you have long arms. Pachmayer decelerator pads come in 3 thickness so you could adjust with a pad if you dont get perfect the first time.
Take Care
Pete

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 am

Seem's to me that to check length of pull we'ed put the butt into the elbow joint and lay our finger on the trigger to see where it come's to. Thinking on a rifle it's right at the first finger joint. With shotgun, between the first and second joint. Would not cut my own stock again. I've done several and they worked well but you mess it up and it get's expensive. Gunsmith would be cheaper than messing one up. You cut two or three inch's off of it and if it's to short, probably will be way to short, however it recoils, your gonna be banging your thumb into your nose and that can hurt! Voice of experience on stocks to short but no where near what your talking.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm

To measure LOP you need to mount the gun just like your going to shoot and have someone measure the distance between your thumb and nose. You want about 1" bêtween them. I worked for the largest gunsmithing company in the country and we bent thousands of Beretta's and I can't remember one breaking and very few needed re-bent.

Drop at comb and drop at heel are also important measurement that influence how your eye lines up with the bbl.