auto, pump, or break

jbonesky

auto, pump, or break

Post by jbonesky » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

So I'm brand new to upland/small game hunting.. all I have ever had shotgun wise is New England single shots, and Remington 870's... I'm wanting something versital-ie Upland, and Rabbit.. I'm willing to have a 2nd hunting gun for waterfowl and turkey... So pretty much I'm asking a broad question- what are the pro's/con's and best for a beginer to wingshooting..
auto?
pump?
single shot?
over/under?

and

12ga?
20ga?

Ghosted3

Re: auto, pump, or break

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 am

Find one that feels best to you. For me it was a over under 16ga. There are sooo many arguments that can be made over which gauge and which style (over under, sxs, pump, semi) that this can go on forever lol.

Corry

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:28 am

I'd probably first have a budget in mind then it all comes down to fit and feel. Head to the gunshop and shoulder a few.

12 gauge for waterfowl and turkey...20 gauge for rabbit/upland? Otherwise just buy one good 12 gauge and you'll be set.

What do you currently own?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 am

The third shot of a pump-action or semi-auto can be a plus.
The felt recoil reduction of a gas-operated, especially, semi-auto can be a plus....mostso when 3" shells are advised.
Pump-actions are inexpensive, generally, and go bang easily.
Break-open scatterguns, whether O/U or Two-row, can be made safe around a dog the easiest, particularly when walking in rougher terrain, crossing creeks, steep hillsides, etc.
Your physical size re arm length and stength, plus size of your grip can make some bulky pump-actions and semi-autos more difficult to grip correctly or provide as much control.
Pump-actions and semi-autos tho will normally be most easily found in youth sizes re stock length and they will also often be less muzzle heavy which can be an issue for a new shooter...one sees them leaning back to shoot, in other words.
Familiarity is always a good thing if you have shot a pump.

Gauge matters for not-tox the most.
It also enters with hand size.
12s or 20s will kill most critters easily, if pointed correctly.
Esthetically, a 20 can appeal.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:55 am

Lol well i am a budget hunter so im not looking to spend over $600.
I currently own 2 New England single shots 12ga & 20ga... So as you can see not much in the shotgun department for me..

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:56 am

12g is a great all around gun. Like what was said above go try out fit and size. Ou are expensive but nice. Especially if you're a good shot.
Auto and pump are great all around guns. Had some problems with autos in subzero temps but still good guns. Also I feel that with an auto I don't place my shots as well. I tend to just pull the trigger until I hit the bird. With a pump I am more focused I have time to think accordingly for my next shot. Its just what I think.
I mainly use my pump 12 for everything. That's just me. I love my pumps.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 am

Mountaineer wrote:The third shot of a pump-action or semi-auto can be a plus.
The felt recoil reduction of a gas-operated, especially, semi-auto can be a plus....mostso when 3" shells are advised.
Pump-actions are inexpensive, generally, and go bang easily.
Break-open scatterguns, whether O/U or Two-row, can be made safe around a dog the easiest, particularly when walking in rougher terrain, crossing creeks, steep hillsides, etc.
Your physical size re arm length and stength, plus size of your grip can make some bulky pump-actions and semi-autos more difficult to grip correctly or provide as much control.
Pump-actions and semi-autos tho will normally be most easily found in youth sizes re stock length and they will also often be less muzzle heavy which can be an issue for a new shooter...one sees them leaning back to shoot, in other words.
Familiarity is always a good thing if you have shot a pump.

Gauge matters for not-tox the most.
It also enters with hand size.
12s or 20s will kill most critters easily, if pointed correctly.
Esthetically, a 20 can appeal.
Understood. I do believe im a decent shot with decent form thanks to the military and other shooting sports. Though the only flying objects ive ever put down was ducks comming down.. And im gonna assume thats an easier shot than a grouse or chucker on the horizontal fly...

So basicaly with upland/small game it pretty much all comes down to comfort/control/and over all shooter pref.
I thank you all for your help. Last questions: full or mod chokes? Whats the difference? And shot size?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 am

jbonesky wrote:Lol well i am a budget hunter so im not looking to spend over $600....
Then buy a used 12 gauge Mossberg 500.

The military won't really have taught you to shoot a scattergun at game.

Every gamebird can present challenges.....it's not the bird but the shot and the conditions both present.

Past the concept of "use enough gun" for the purpose and the ethics...it should come down to shooter preference as it is supposed to be an enjoyable endeavor on many levels.

I expect that today avoiding choke tubes in a scattergun is much like avoiding an old guy table in a morning McDonald's.

Go to the library and read a book on scatterguns and upland hunting....multi dozens will be available there or thru an Inter-library loan.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:49 am

Choosing a shotgun is purely based on prefrence. Whatever fits or feels good.

As far as choke tubes go, modified would be the tightest choke I would shoot over a pointing dog, though I have been known to drag out a full to shoot over my squirrel "bleep" lab.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 am

i would look at used 12 ga in bertta/benilli for around 600 dollars,

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:31 am

New Stoeger out of the box for around 425ish$

Corry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 am

Ghosted3 wrote:New Stoeger out of the box for around 425ish$

Corry

very good corry. if you only have 600 to spend and want new, yes you are right.
if you want much better gun forever, beretta/benilli/fraNCHI USED is way to go.

me, i would get used way over new . :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 am

A 12 or 20 is best as far as cost of ammo. Either fits a large range of uses. I like the 20 because of the weight. As I get older the light weight became more important. I have both but probably use the 20 90% of the time. Just try to make sure if feels good to you and you will be OK.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:13 pm

You said you had shot a Remington 870- pretty much a versatile gun to me- Since my first 870 in the 60's I have and still have all 3 ga.- 12 ,16 and 20.
It wasn't until recently I picked up a Benelli Montefeltro 20 auto and it was only because of Chukars.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm

20 or 28 ga. o/u you can get CZ or Stoeger for a pretty nice price.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I've heard Benelli Nova's are good guns for the $$$$....maybe worth checking into.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 pm

I checked out the Stoeger M2000 and M3500 today, they seemed like very nice guns.. though this weekend i'm gonna roam around the local gun shops and see what i can come across used

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Picked up a Rem 870 12ga.. thanks so much for all the input guys.. going to use this for the remainder of this season then put some pennys away and possibley upgrade next season

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Solid choice

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 am

I seldom pick up a pump any more. Just like the feel of doubles. But my early guns were pump's, mostly Mossberg 500"s; they are good guns. Most the pumps you'll find will do what you want but some just feel better than other's. The 870 is a very good pump. Choice of gauge for the best all around is easy, 12 ga. With it you can get a Lee load-all press for about $50 and have every powder and shot bushing you need and despite what some say, they work very well. From there, load up shot weight fro 1 1/2 oz on up to I think mine would go 1 5/8 oz. I never used anything over 1 1/8 oz, nice light recoil! depending on the bird I was hunting i could simply change the size of the shot. 7 1/2 shot was great on grouse, quail ect. move up to pheasants and move up the # 5 or 6 shot. Ducks get #4 or #5. The weight of the shopt and the velocity never change, just the shot's ability to penetrate.

I think I said I have used the press but I also have now a MEC 600 Jr in 28 and a Ponsness-Warren in 16 ga. I've had a Texan FW in 12 ga in ther past and it was my faavorite, can't get one anymore. The cheap Lee actually made just as serviceable ammo as any of them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mollyontherun

Re: 20 gauge Semi Ultra Light

Post by Mollyontherun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Began by shooting an 870 Rem Express pump. Felt sluggish and arms got tired carrying that piece of iron. Kicked like a mule.

Now shoot SKB 20 g Gas Auto.

Upland Hunting.... lighter to carry- including lighter shells.

Swings faster.

My son hunts a Rem 1100 12 g. He had to borrow the Ultra Light 20 G on both a duck and upland hunt this year. He loves the Ultra Light and now he wants me to give it to him.

Downside: less pellets in pattern and shells end at #2. Took a good # of Mallards this year but late season Mallards might be better hunted with BB. That could be adjusted if I would be willing to fork out some $ for some Kent Matrix or Heavy Shot.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 am

I personally shoot a Benelli Nova. I hunt upland, use it for deer with buck shot, and a super Turkey gun. It is much better as a bird gun than a deer gun, but I haven't missed any of the deer I have shot at. Just have to know the range as to which it shoots.

I have always shot pumps. I was given an auto and spent more time trying to jack a shell in just from habit. I gave it away. I have always felt more comfortable with a pump. I also have an 870, which has always been great. My son now uses it. They are both 12 ga. Find one you really enjoy and is easy to carry in the field all day and then you have found the best gun. Good luck and have fun.

Joe

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:A 12 or 20 is best as far as cost of ammo. Either fits a large range of uses. I like the 20 because of the weight. As I get older the light weight became more important. I have both but probably use the 20 90% of the time. Just try to make sure if feels good to you and you will be OK.

Ezzy

you are same as me after carrying shotgun around for 46 yrs, now i am 59.
if i was 20 yrs old again i would have bought a 20ga for woods birds and 12 ga for field birds like pheasants.
i would have bought a FRANCHI 20 GA AL 48 AND BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA.
if i did not have money, i would wait to find used one or save for new one putting money away each month.
i sold 6 guns to buy those 2 shotguns a few years ago and like you, i use franchi the most because i hunt grouse 90% of time.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:56 am

jbonesky wrote:Picked up a Rem 870 12ga.. thanks so much for all the input guys.. going to use this for the remainder of this season then put some pennys away and possibley upgrade next season

ugh! :o

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm

jbonesky wrote:Picked up a Rem 870 12ga.. thanks so much for all the input guys.. going to use this for the remainder of this season then put some pennys away and possibley upgrade next season
Wow! You read my mind! If you're on a budget, and looking for a good, reliable shotgun you can't beat the 870! Or a Mossberg. When I first got into hunting I killed a ton of game with Mossberg 500 with an Improved Cylinder barrel. I was also going to advise getting either a 12 gauge or 20 gauge. As much as I love the "sweet 16" gauge, it can be problematic finding ammo. for all around hunting, you can't beat a good, solid 12 gauge.

wvmountainhick

Post by wvmountainhick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:52 pm

I haven't been bird hunting is several years but the last time I went I was lugging around a Mossberg 835. We were hunting pheasants and had a blast. That gun shot where you pointed it but it was originally bought for turkey hunting. The 3.5" shells were a bit hard to handle IMO and I wanted to get a gas gun. Ended up finding a great deal on a used Winchester SX2. I've had 870's, a couple Mossberg 835's, and a few 500's. All have been great guns but they just weren't what I was looking for. Had a couple doubles but for what I'm doing (squirrel hunting behind a dog and some spring turkey hunting), they just didn't seem to fit the niche. Right now I've got a Remington 11-87 20 ga and the SX2 in 12 ga. The only pump gun I've got left is a Mossberg 500 in .410 that I kept for my lil girl when she get's older. So far, all have proven to be quite reliable and that 20 ga is light enough to carry all day long.

wvmountainhick

Post by wvmountainhick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:19 am

Not sure why the majority of my posts never see daylight on this forum but let me try this again. In the past I've owned several different styles of shotguns. Pumps, doubles, autos, and singles were all in my safe at one point. Something was missing though. For the most part, when bird hunting, I carried a mossberg 835 feeling as if it were the "Jack of all trades." Problem was, firing the 3.5" she'll for turkeys left me looking for my tooth fillings when all was over. Long story short, I did some wheeling and dealing and managed to find a couple guns that fit me well and work great. I've got a remington 11-87 20 ga and a winchester SX2 12 ga. For what I'm doing in the squirrel woods and shooting clays, they work out great. Planning to go bird hunting again this year for the first time in several and have no doubt that they will serve me well.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm

The question of what type of action will always be a highly personal position. I have or have had autos, pumps, o/u's, and sxs guns. I've always favored the sxs guns. My current passion is vintage American .410 sxs guns. But I went thru fascination with 12, 20, and 28 ga before that. On thing a sxs or o/u action does for you is safety. Safety because it clear the gun cannot be fired from an open action. Every one can tell instantly its in a safe or unsafe condition.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:06 pm

20 ga yildiz over and under from acadamy sports for a bargain hunter looking for a over and under, i love mine

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:38 pm

There a number of Turkish imports like the Yildez that are gaining a following. CZ, Huglu, as well as some American labels like Smith & Wesson , Kimber etc have sold Turkish o/u and sxs guns lately. Cabelas "bleep" line is a mideast import as well.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm

One thing I would like to mention is not to forget to factor in the length of the receiver if you decide to order a gun rather than to buy one in store. For me, I shoot a 12 and 20 gauge over and under with 28 inch barrels but when I used to shoot pumps and autoloaders I shot guns with 26 inch barrels. Your sight plain is going to differ depending on if you are shooting an over and under or side by side as related to pumps and autoloaders because the receivers on autoloaders and pumps are longer and add more to the overall length of the gun. I have a side by side with 26 inch barrels that I occasionally shoot quail with and I shoot it well but I am not comfortable with it because it feels so small and I feel like I am shooting a kids gun because with the shorter barrels I really lean over the gun to get my head down on the stock and line up the bead. As was mentioned it is best to go to the gun store and to shoulder several guns and see what feels best for you. I let more birds fly than what I actually shoot so I am fine with only having 2 shells. If you are shooting to stock the freezer, which contrary to what most on this site will tell you and is completely fine if you need the meat, then maybe a pump or autoloader with 3 or more shells is more your cup of tea.

vahuntress

auto, pump, or break

Post by vahuntress » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 am

Like most said, it's all about preference. I recently purchased a Benelli Nova Pump for $400, brand new in box. It's a great gun that I'm hoping to use for just about anything.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:26 am

I forgot about my two first shotgun's. First came a J.C. Higgins single shot break action. Plastic stock with a plug in the butt. That was for adding weight to the butt. The next one was a Mossberg bolt action with an adjustable choke. Second shot took a bit but the thing worked. I kinda miss those old adjustable choke's, looked like a potato on the end of the barrel. The best grouse guns I ever owned was a Browning double, nothing I've ever shot was in it's league. And I got an 870 Special Field when they first came out. For quick and just point and shoot, nothing has ever come close to those two gun's. But they weren't worth a darn in the upland and even worse on waterfowl. Barrel's were much to short and they didn't swing well. My favorite upland gun was a Charles Daly SxS in 12ga. Probably the best swinging gun I ever used. My son borrowed it ten or twelve years ago and he won't even bring it out for me to see once in a while! I hunt strictly SxS's these days. Present favorite is an AyA Matador in 28ga. I don't shoot very well any more but I do look good walking around!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am

DonF wrote: ... I don't shoot very well any more but I do look good walking around!
Don, that's particularly important to have your guns and dogs look good, at least I think so since I'm not as good looking as I used to be. :D