Reloader I need help

codym

Reloader I need help

Post by codym » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm

I got a mec 650 jr I'm trying to set up for 20 ga shells. I got my powder and shot all dialed in but I keep bulging hulls. Ive never had to adjust my 12 ga sizemaster, so what do I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks

deseeker

Re: Reloader I need help

Post by deseeker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am

It kind of looks like you are trying to pack the case to full. What is the entire list of componets, wad type--might be wrong wad for the load, amount of powder, case type--I see it is a rem STS case but is that what the reloading book calls for(different cases have different volumes & tapers inside ). I guess I'm asking are you following the reloading book 100% on the load. What is the reloading book, what does it call for powder type and grains, what does it call for as case type, what does it call for as wad type, what amount of shot, what does it call for for primer(this won't make a difference on crushing the cases, but it will make a difference on load pressure). If you are following a reloading book completely, then it is caused by the final station on the press(crimping station) not being adjusted right.. The Mec manual will tell you how to adjust the final station for a good crimp. Also a solid post wad(has a fixed lenght) will cause more crimping problems than a collasible(collaspes inside the case to various lenghts to fit the load) type wad. It's kind of hard to give you a specific answer without me being there. Hope I helped a little :?: :?: :?:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 am

I would check bushing drop weights of powder and shot first.
Then check that double loads of either are not being dispensed.
Then load formula for gauge and case.
Then component match to load.
Then wad pressure.
Then fiddle with crimp adjustments, etc.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Figured I should have listed everything I was just a little tired last night.I am following a recipe from my reloading for shotgunners (mec) manual. Im using sts hulls, rxp 20 wads, and green dot powder. I'm dropping 14.5 grns of powder and 7/8 oz of shot. I double checked my drops and they are accurate.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Cut each bad shell open and weigh shot and powder...and check for issues with the wad column.
I take it that you have looked to be sure the MEC dies are not plugged or damaged.
Odd, if all is according to Hoyle.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 pm

codym wrote:Figured I should have listed everything I was just a little tired last night.I am following a recipe from my reloading for shotgunners (mec) manual. Im using sts hulls, rxp 20 wads, and green dot powder. I'm dropping 14.5 grns of powder and 7/8 oz of shot. I double checked my drops and they are accurate.
You are shooting basicly the same loads I use for training loads. My Lyman book shows that with those componets it will do 1150 fps. If you switch to the WAA20 wad it comes out 1175 fps(this load is also in my Lyman book). If you have the WAA20 wads you might try them---they collaspe inside the cases easier than Reminton wads(IMO). That load in my loader crimps really well Are all the plastic wad fingers still on the wad station--if some are missing that can sometimes start the wad in crooked where it doesn't seat the wad straight all the way to the bottom on top of the powder. Are you useing larger size shot--larger size shot doesn't settle as far down into the wad column as smaller size shot. If you are useing larger size shot, try vibrating the shell before crimping to see if you can get the shot to settle more into the wad. If none of that works you're going to have to adjust the crimping station on the press.

I agree and cut your bad shells open to see if the wad is seated okay. Good luck

klewis

Post by klewis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 am

Mountaineer wrote:I would check bushing drop weights of powder and shot first.
Then check that double loads of either are not being dispensed.
Then load formula for gauge and case.
Then component match to load.
Then wad pressure.
Then fiddle with crimp adjustments, etc.
could be wad preasure, not seatinng the wad good enough.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 am

make sure you have the correct crimp starter in. Mecs come with both the 6 & 8.
If that is correct i would adjust the wad pressure
Take Care
Pete

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 pm

P&PGunsmith wrote:make sure you have the correct crimp starter in. Mecs come with both the 6 & 8.

How do I know which one I have in and if its the correct one? I'm using 7 1/2's

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 pm

codym wrote:
P&PGunsmith wrote:make sure you have the correct crimp starter in. Mecs come with both the 6 & 8.

How do I know which one I have in and if its the correct one? I'm using 7 1/2's
Pull off and count...smooth one is for paper hulls.
Very unlikely that the crimp starter is the issue....I've used them interchangably.....works fine if there is some memory.

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:43 am

Go to www.shotgunworld.com and post your question in the reloading forum. I can assure you will get the answer to your reloading problem. Be sure to include the picture. Those guys know their Mec loaders and will be glad to help.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Had a similar problem in 28 gauge once. Think the problem was in Station 5. Raise the crimp punch. It's pushing too deep causing the wad not to seat correctly. The rib you see around the hull toward the bottom of the hull is the base of the wad pushing out against the hull, too much pressure. Some shot is landing on top of the petals of the wad instead of all inside the wad because of the misalignment, thus the bulge up top.
A good bird dog is always the right color