Red dot sight question.

Ghosted3

Red dot sight question.

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:38 pm

I am not familiar with red dot sights, but looking forward to getting one for my AR, but my question is, when they are not powered on can you see through them clearly enough to use flip up iron sights, or does the red dot need to be removed before you could use the iron sights?

Thanks,
Corry

jimbo&rooster

Re: Red dot sight question.

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 am

The set up I use on my AR for 3 gun matches is a set of magpul flip up sights and a Bushnell ACOG type red dot scope. I can use my iron sights with or without the red dot being powered up. It took some getting used to and a lot of time tinkering to get used to target aqiosition but it worked pretty well. I have used the set up a couple times calling coyotes and had good results in the woods where the 3-9x40 was too Much also.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes if you get the correct height mount you can cowitness your redot with your irons and for sure see them with the optic is off (unless the lense is smashed i suppose). You can also do a lower 1/3rd cowitness.

I highly recommend Aimpoint (personally the Micro w/ Daniel Defense mount). Aimpoint is the best, without a doubt.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 am

the one i have you can see through when its not on, but it donsnt have any sights in it
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:41 pm

The good thing about dot sights is that if you shoot with both eyes open, you can completely cover the muzzle side of the sight and one eye will still see the target while the strong eye super imposes the dot on the target. No need to focus on anything other than the target.