Sling or no sling?

JWP58

Sling or no sling?

Post by JWP58 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm

On your shotgun, do you use a sling or no? After last season climbing (and on a few occasions rolling down) snow covered hills, creek beds, ravines, ect, Im going WITH a sling this year.

How about you? Sling or no sling?
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Sling or no sling?

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Nope, not in the Apps. or UGLs or the shortgrass.
But, sling away.

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm on the fence about it. A sling does have its benefits when on those long hunts but they can get in the way sometimes. When I hunt my gun is in my hands with the safety on and my hand over the trigger guard to protect from branches hitting the trigger. Also I like the fact that its easier for me to raise the gun if a bird suddenly gets up

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Sling, and I still get it shouldered faster than all my buddies that dont use one. 8) Really doesnt matter much though since we only shoot birds that are pointed so the sling is in use "between" birds.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 am

I hunt all sxs guns. Many of them are vintage guns. I not drilling them for sli g swivels. But I did buy a couple loop over the barrels and wrist type of slings. Besides if the dog gets injured, having two hands free would be helpful.

Elihu

Post by Elihu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 am

Used sling for first time last yr bird hunting enjoyed free hands but also watched a few birds fly out of range that got walked up.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 am

It's not about how many, it's about "how". Enjoy the dog work and scenery.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Don't use one... I only shoot pointed birds so one wouldn't be an issue, just never thought about getting one.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 pm

I have one, but it's never made its way to the gun yet. :D

One day I hope to get it on there. Them long days afield sometimes can be a burden on the arms. Thank god for shoulders :wink:

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu May 23, 2013 7:10 am

the sling is in use "between" birds.
A very good method to insure you only shoot pointed birds...especially when you're working with a young dog.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm

I have thought about it- only for cross country skiing in for Grouse- haven't done it yet though

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:27 pm

UglyD wrote:I have thought about it- only for cross country skiing in for Grouse- haven't done it yet though
Seems like that is a personal option and you should use what ever you fine advantageous to you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Huntumup

Post by Huntumup » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm

I carry a sling that goes around my barrel and stock and is held in place with a over hand knot. so this way i can carry my grandfather gun in the field and take it off when ready to hunt.
You call me a redneck, like that's a bad thing

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:24 am

Generally I start out with the sling then I end up taking it off and put it in my vest. If I am duck, deer, coyote, or turkey hunting I u use the sling to get to my spot then take it off when I get there. So I guess I prefer to shoot with out it but it can be useful.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:38 pm

I use a sling most of the time - just a loop over the barrels type, no drilling/holes - lots of pros, can't think of any cons.

Most importantly, it makes it more comfortable for my gun bearer to carry my gun for me!! :lol: :lol: :

Usually just pull it off if the horse is haulin' it around for me:

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Hey DGFavor, what brand do you use? I just bought a new O/U and was leaning toward the type you use.

Only one I've found is...

http://allencompany.net/slings/slings/y ... uired.html
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:28 am

Pretty certain this is the one I use, I know I bought it at Cabelas - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Quake-Cl ... l+Products

Some folks don't like having the loop over the barrels as it does interrupt the site plane of the bead if you use the bead. I'm not a bead guy. On the one you posted, I don't think I'd care for the strap around the butt like that. The one I use, the butt portion goes around the pistol grip on my Brownie perfect - stays in place and out of the way when shouldering it.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

awesome, thanks.

Wyobohunter

Sling or no sling?

Post by Wyobohunter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I always bring a sling that is easy to adjust the length.You never know when you'll need two free hands and an adjustable sling is easy to change from traditional over the shoulder carry to "Robin Hood" carry if I need to climb with hands etc. I can always take it off and put it in my pocket.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm

years ago I had a couple SxS's I bought while stationed in Germany. Back then they all came with sling swivels. Seem's to me that the front swivel was silver soldered under the barrels and between them. That was when I learned what they called the Jaeger carry. If your right handed the gun is carried upside down over the left shoulder. The left hand rest's on the wood hand guard. Fastest method I've ever seen for bringing a gun up without having it in your hands and ready to mount. To mount it from that position simply bring it up with your left hand. The left hand is already where it belongs and as it come's up the sling slips off the shoulder. The right hand simply grabs the pistol grip to shoot. I still carry a rifle like that all the time. Don't have a shotgun with swivel's any more. Bet a guy could have one soldered to the barrels or screwed into the under side of the rib between the barrels.. For O/U's I've seen f front swivel attached to a clamp on the barrels in front of the hand guard. Don't use O/U's but bet it works fine. I don't like the one's that wrap around the barrel and the stock, they look to my like a poorly thought out after though.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:58 pm

I don't like the one's that wrap around the barrel and the stock, they look to my like a poorly thought out after though.
I agree not the most attractive design, but in real life, where "rubber meets road", I've found they work great/function great all while doing no damage to the gun...like, say, soldering, clamping or drilling does. :wink:

Wyobohunter

Sling or no sling?

Post by Wyobohunter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:58 pm

DonF wrote:...If your right handed the gun is carried upside down over the left shoulder. The left hand rest's on the wood hand guard. Fastest method I've ever seen for bringing a gun up without having it in your hands and ready to mount. To mount it from that position simply bring it up with your left hand. The left hand is already where it belongs and as it come's up the sling slips off the shoulder. The right hand simply grabs the pistol grip to shoot.
They also teach this method of carry/mounting for sentries during foul weather. Keeps rain out of the barrel and mounts to shoulder quickly. At least that's what the Marine Corps was teaching when I was in. They called it "contact unlikely" (or something like that) method of carry. I still use this during rainy/snowy weather or just to give my left shoulder a break (I'm a lefty)