rst shot shells

big_fish

rst shot shells

Post by big_fish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm

any one using these low pressure paper shells in their classic or other guns?
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: rst shot shells

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Occassionally

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:39 pm

They produce a product called "nice shot" it's what I use when non toxic is required. Much easier on the barrels and doesent loose velocity like steel would in #7.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm

I don't use them, but know plenty of guys that do. A large number of guys on the doublegunshop.com forum use them.

Lyco Setter

Post by Lyco Setter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:21 pm

RST is all I use anymore in both older and newer doubles. The quality and continuity is unmatched. Do not be deceived, they are low pressure and low recoil but they really swat birds out of the air.

Their Paper-Lite Roll Crimp 1-1/8oz in 6s is my go-to pheasant load.

grousehunter 61

Post by grousehunter 61 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Shooting an older 2 1/2" 16ga they are all I use. They knock down the birds with the best of them.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 am

Well, since we're showin off old doubles. ... This ones a 1905 Parker GH 12 ga damascus gun restocked and refinished. I was using my handload 1150fps, 1 oz, 6700 psi, #5 shot, in Federal paper hulls.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 pm

very nice guns fellas classic doubles are a passion of mine well all doubles are but there is something about a classic being used to hunt with that is near to my heart.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

MIKKEN

Post by MIKKEN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 am

How did you all come to know what load/shot size to use? I now have Granpa's single shot Mont- gomery Ward 12ga that Dad used when he was 12 back in 1944. I don't think it' been used since the late 1940's. Dad didn't want newer loads used to prevent damage-good thought. Dad is gone, & I'd like to shoot with it once or twice, let my nephew shoot it, and then leave it to his son. Cash value-$75(?) tops, sentimental value-$??? Don't have ANY original specs or paper work. Any ideas?

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:54 pm

roaniecowpony,

that is a purty gun!

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 am

How did you all come to know what load/shot size to use? I now have Granpa's single shot Mont- gomery Ward 12ga that Dad used when he was 12 back in 1944. I don't think it' been used since the late 1940's. Dad didn't want newer loads used to prevent damage-good thought. Dad is gone, & I'd like to shoot with it once or twice, let my nephew shoot it, and then leave it to his son. Cash value-$75(?) tops, sentimental value-$??? Don't have ANY original specs or paper work. Any ideas?
You have a piece of family history and you're right to treasure it. This is probably chambered for 2 3/4" shells. I think you would be safe to shoot lower velocity (1100-1200 fps) normal bird loads ...say 5s to 7 1/2s...from any producer. A real issue when you start shooting guns 80-100 years old is that a stock ages and can get dryer. I suspect this gun is substantially built but better to be safe and shoot medium loads . Heavy loads have the potential to crack or loosen up the stock around the action. Make sure before you start that action is tight, forearm is snug, etc.

I still have an old Spanish double that my dad bought for $50...it brings back a lot of nice memories.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:52 pm

I didn't know anyone made paper shells anymore. Can they be reloaded and what do they use for wads? All I ever load are low pressure loads. I haveen't fired a shell with more velocity than 1200 fps in 25+ years.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:41 pm

DonF wrote:I didn't know anyone made paper shells anymore. Can they be reloaded and what do they use for wads? All I ever load are low pressure loads. I haveen't fired a shell with more velocity than 1200 fps in 25+ years.
Not sure they ever stopped making papers....can't best the aroma.
I reloaded Federal papers for years....no real differences though a different crimp starter is often advised, same wads based upon interior case design.
Federal papers have a good volume.....I often loaded protector shells in papers, no issue with pressures.
Always loaded hunting loads and spreaders in papers....you drop them and they eventually go mostly away.
The hull life varied with the load...3 reloads was a lot for me and then the pinholes ahead of the metal head started to appear.