Shotgun Barrel Re-fresh / Rust Blue

Tooling

Shotgun Barrel Re-fresh / Rust Blue

Post by Tooling » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:09 am

Recently picked up a used Merkel 1620...in fine shape however the barrels had a few bumps (no dents) and a little scrape along with some very light pitting as a result of some minor freckling. Sent the barrels to Charles Danner of Danner gunsmithing to repair and rust blue. Got the barrels back and they are beautiful. All traces of damage gone and the bluing / finish is very consistent (no light/thin spots etc). All markings are intact and all edges remain as sharp as new...he did a really really nice job in I think about 4/5 weeks. I have other Merkel sxs's to compare and I would w/out a doubt say that the re-blue is better than the factory finish due to consistency etc. So there you go...300 bucks'ish cleans up and re-blues a set of barrels to basically better than new. His polishing resulted in the barrels being slightly less polished and a shade more toward matte but beautiful nonetheless. If you have a shotgun you are a stickler about it may not be a horrible idea to not only have the barrels re-blued but the other blued hardware re-blued at the same time in order to ensure a perfect match...but now we're splitting hairs :)