Classic SxS or O/U

rkappes

Classic SxS or O/U

Post by rkappes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:56 pm

I really want a classic Side x Side or Over-Under. Initially I wanted a 20 gauge but open to other gauges. Will be used for upland hunting (mainly pheasant) but also sharpies, ruffies, prairie chickens, huns and on occasion doves. I hunt a lot of MN public land so I need something that can handle non-tox. I love an English straight stock. The lighter the better. Would like to stick around $2,000-$3,000. I know that might be tough with a SxS. I suppose it can be a newer gun that might become a classic one day. Something I can pass down. I know that it’s the fit that matters the most and not the brand.

Just looking for some input so I have a place to start.

Thanks much!

gotpointers

Re: Classic SxS or O/U

Post by gotpointers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:05 pm

I'd keep an eye out for a used A.Y.A. I've seen a few used ones in that range at Cabelas gun library.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am

gotpointers wrote:I'd keep an eye out for a used A.Y.A. I've seen a few used ones in that range at Cabelas gun library.
I’ve been looking at AYA’s on gun websites. Didn’t know anything about them. They are some nice looking guns! I’ve found a couple around $600. Do you own an AYA?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 am

for $2-3k you should be able to find a ton of guns that will fit the bill..... some of the more common Parkers, L.C. Smiths, Navy Arms and such should be fairly easy to come by at gun shows. As far as new goes, again, any number of "bleep" fine SxS, and O/U scatter guns can be had in your price range.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:16 am

rkappes wrote:
gotpointers wrote:I'd keep an eye out for a used A.Y.A. I've seen a few used ones in that range at Cabelas gun library.
I’ve been looking at AYA’s on gun websites. Didn’t know anything about them. They are some nice looking guns! I’ve found a couple around $600. Do you own an AYA?
I sold the one I did have to buy more dogs. But I did stick to keeping a few of the older lower end Spanish made 16 ga sxs guns I love. The $600 ones I think you are finding are the Matador models. I've never had a matador which is also on the low end of the AYA lines. I've owned a higher end Arietta and was afraid of dropping it out hunting so it's gone also. My advice is if it's from Eibair and feels right and fits right buy the one youre not afraid to possibly beat up.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:14 pm

gotpointers wrote:
rkappes wrote:
I sold the one I did have to buy more dogs. But I did stick to keeping a few of the older lower end Spanish made 16 ga sxs guns I love. The $600 ones I think you are finding are the Matador models. I've never had a matador which is also on the low end of the AYA lines. I've owned a higher end Arietta and was afraid of dropping it out hunting so it's gone also. My advice is if it's from Eibair and feels right and fits right buy the one youre not afraid to possibly beat up.

Correct, $650 for a Matador II and $699 for a Bolero. Both 12 gauges.

I agree. I don’t want something that I’m afraid to use. I don’t abuse equipment but I certainly don’t baby it either.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Here is the Bolero
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:16 pm

How about barrel length?

Single trigger vs double trigger?

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm

I got the single trigger as opposed to the double trigger because it is one less thing to mess with.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 pm

I know where a 1909 LC Smith is, almost bought it but decided I really didn't need it.

Check out Lion Country Supply they usually have a few nice consignment doubles for sale..... http://www.doubleshotguns.com/aboutus.html
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:23 pm

rkappes wrote:How about barrel length?

Single trigger vs double trigger?
Thats a nice one pictured. I prefer 26" barrels and double triggers. They take a little to get used to but I find choke selection much easier and quicker than with a switch. I had an ugartechea from Lcs in 12 and 26" it was a tank to carry. If your birds are close I'd really recommend getting the smallest guage you can get away with. The 16 hits like a 12 and carries almost like a 20. I'd carry a 20 if I had everything up close.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:51 am

birddog1968 wrote:I know where a 1909 LC Smith is, almost bought it but decided I really didn't need it.

Check out Lion Country Supply they usually have a few nice consignment doubles for sale..... http://www.doubleshotguns.com/aboutus.html
Thanks for the heads up!

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:07 am

Tom

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am

Gordon Guy wrote:A.H. Fox Sterlingworth, 20 gauge

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =374722457
Sweet gun! What do you think its worth?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:30 am

How about this gun?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:48 am

Here is a informative article you might like to look at.
http://www.stephencokerandco.com/blog/

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 am

Well that's about the easiest question I believe there is to answer..
...classic sxs of course :)

They are/can be lots of $$$ but suck it up and get the one you want (within your reasonable limits of course..I busted right through mine :| ) <--- That's some good advice right there!

(And yes, two triggers is what God intended)

Like you I prefer a straight stock...I have been shooting a Merkel 1620 (16 ga) and got my wife a Parker Repro. 28 gauge in hopes she could become my "shooter" while I handle the dog...at 5-1/2 lbs it is a straight pleasure to carry my WIFE's gun and it is becoming my favorite :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tooling on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

rkappes wrote:How about this gun?
Double triggers with a pistol grip stock, have you ever handled one like that?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

nikegundog wrote:
Double triggers with a pistol grip stock, have you ever handled one like that?
When it comes to LC's I've only handled a 12gauge 2E...not sure if that's similar or not. The 2E didn't have double triggers.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 am

rkappes wrote:

It appears the seller thinks it's worth $2500...If you keep a look out at the available markets you might find one for $2000. It makes abig difference if you're looking for a shooter or one for your collection. There's a nother AHFox Grade A 20 gauge on Gunbroker for $6700 that looks almost brand new.

They (A.H. Fox ) are sweet handling guns. They don't make them like that anymore. Many folks (the majority of the market) wants something that can handle 3 or 3 1/2" shells, weight and feel are not realy a concern because the most important thing for them is payload and reliability in tough conditions. When you're shooting snow geese while laying on your back in the middle of a stubble field ...payload and reliability are important because those 60 to 70 yard birds need to be hit hard and often if not folded. Shooting upload birds over a good pointing dog is a different story.
Last edited by Gordon Guy on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 am

Gordon Guy wrote:
rkappes wrote:

It appears the seller thinks it's worth $2500...If you keep a look out at the available markets you might find one for $2000.

They (A.H. Fox ) are sweet handling guns. They don't make them like that anymore. Many folks (the majority of the market) wants something that can handle 3 or 3 1/2" shells, weight and feel are not realy a concern because the most important thing for them is payload.
Stupid me. Sorry. So much stuff on the page I didn't notice the price. I'm looking for something light and fast. Don't need 3" and certainly not 3.5". I want to own a classic and a piece of history. Something I can pass onto my kids (once I have kids).

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:44 am

It's hard to get more "Classic" then a AH Fox....I've heard many folks would argue that it's the best gun made in the US. I don't know enough about them to make that claim.
Tom

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

If you are willing to spruce them up a bit and don't mind honest wear you can get some really nice semi-high end sxs's

The Merkel 16 ga I bought for $2800.00 and invested an additional $275.00 to have the barrels rust blued which they didn't "really" need...cleaned up all the parts and polished a bit here and there but granted I have the equipment and tools to do it. Also gave the stocks a rub w/ some steel wool and it is now as near a new gun that has been hunted as you can get as well as being a very very nice shotgun. It is a 1620EL and they run around 6-7K new.

The Parker was used but also very well taken care of...no dings save a few in the wood that are minor and no color case hardening "color" left to speak of but all metal sharp and bluing / barrels are perfect...it has double triggers the way I like and are not exactly rare but not exactly all over the place either...paid $3200.00...they typically go for $4500-6500. ( I think they sold for around $2500.00 new but prices went stupid up to around 10K and now seem to be readjusting to realistic numbers)

My point is..look around and be patient...find a shooter that is worn honestly and have a willingness to put in a little elbow grease. sxs's are very well made in the 6-7K range but you can score for around 50/60 cents on the dollar if you look around and remain patient....new..you're going to pay plain and simple.

An AyA 4/53 20 ga. with maybe a bit of wear can be had for 2K...that is a nice gun and although that's a bit more than 50 cents on the dollar..it would not be a bad deal. An AyA #2 would be a nice deal at $3,500.00 which stretches your budget a bit and that's on the low end. The Fox's..couldn't say.

28 gauge...ammo is expensive

16 gauge...ammo is expensive and can be hard to find unless there is a current "run" of them periodically and at the time you need ammo (Cabelas has had them recently)

20 gauge ammo is cheap and readily available.

12 gauge...hate a 12 gauge but that's just me

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:50 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =374776129

...stretches your budget a little but this one is nice and in fantastic condition + a very good deal. May not be an American "classic" per se' but is by all means a classic in it's own right.

You would not only pass a Merkel to your children with basic care but their children would pass it to their grand-children..very nice shotguns!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Anything wrong with guns like this?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/927221344/L_ ... _Grade.htm#

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:47 pm

rkappes wrote:Anything wrong with guns like this?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/927221344/L_ ... _Grade.htm#
Yes, it has Damacus barrels which are pitted.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Ryan , Let me know if you got the photos of the 2 Ithica /SKB's.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:Ryan , Let me know if you got the photos of the 2 Ithica /SKB's.
I did, thanks for sending them. I'm out of the office until Monday. I'll look at them when I get back. Thanks again.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:16 pm

I think the old Ithaca/SKB's are some the best values for the money out there.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:21 pm

I purchased an SKB 280 20 ga ~ 10 years ago. It has been everything I had hoped for and more. I shoot it better than any other gun I have owned.

Good Luck in your search.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:24 pm

nikegundog wrote:Here is a informative article you might like to look at.
http://www.stephencokerandco.com/blog/
Good read, thanks Nike.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Here's a photo of a ithica /SKB 12 ga mod. 200 Built a little different. Note the silver receiver of a 200 . Stock of a 280 ( straight stock), fore arm , splinter of a mod 100. i know there are more out there but have yet to see one on any of the gun sights for sale.
DSCF3748 (800x531).jpg

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 pm

LC Smith from LCSupply.....

I've had that one in my hands it's sweet !!!! that's the one I was going to buy . It fit really well with that butt pad on it. alot of the others felt short in the stock. I'm 6'1 . Ask them to make sure
its a 16ga, probably is but I thought i remembered it being 12ga.....im probably mistaken tho...

I still have the urge to go up there and buy it as it's 25 minutes away but Im resisting my urges. It's a consignment gun so if you want it make an offer, they probably would take a little less. It's
not super fancy with engraving and all but its a light super nice swinging gun....not many flaws on it except some wear from use and very light scratches. Its a 1909 0 grade featherweight. There is also
a 20 ga featherweight down the page but that one wasn't there when i was in the store.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:14 pm

How about Ugartechea SXS's?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:58 am

rkappes wrote:How about Ugartechea SXS's?
I had one in 12 guage and 26" for about three years. I hardly ever used it, always grabbed the 16ga first. I swapped it in on a Browning citori lightning sporting clays. The Ugartechea was sill sitting at that dealer last week. He will ship to your FFL if you're interested in it. 600+ lower than LCS. Nothing wrong with the gun other than being a 12 guage.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:57 am

Tooling wrote:Well that's about the easiest question I believe there is to answer..

They are/can be lots of $$$ but suck it up and get the one you want (within your reasonable limits of course..I busted right through mine :| ) <--- That's some good advice right there!

Like you I prefer a straight stock...I have been shooting a Merkel 1620 (16 ga) and got my wife a Parker Repro. 28 gauge in hopes she could become my "shooter" while I handle the dog...at 5-1/2 lbs it is a straight pleasure to carry my WIFE's gun and it is becoming my favorite :mrgreen:
One of the local gun shops just got a Merkel in, just saw it yesterday. I believe it was a 16 ga, can't remember the model. Believe it was around $3,400. Nice looking gun. Hopefully get in this week to check it out and handle it. The Parker Repro's are nice looking guns. What's the different between a Parker and a Parker Repro? Are Repro's just reproductions of the old Parkers?

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 am

rkappes wrote:
Tooling wrote:Well that's about the easiest question I believe there is to answer..

One of the local gun shops just got a Merkel in, just saw it yesterday. I believe it was a 16 ga, can't remember the model. Believe it was around $3,400. Nice looking gun. Hopefully get in this week to check it out and handle it. The Parker Repro's are nice looking guns. What's the different between a Parker and a Parker Repro? Are Repro's just reproductions of the old Parkers?
The Merkel you saw would either be a 47E , 147E, 147EL - OR - a 1620 , 1620E, 1620EL

The 47E Would have a Color Case Hardened Receiver with simple engraving (no game scene)

The 147E Would have a Coin Finished (Bare Metal) Receiver that is engraved with a Game scene

The 147EL would have a Coin Finished Receiver that is engraved with a Game scene with nicer Wood and a better finish than the others

The 47/147 Series will have a receiver that is a bit larger than a 20 but smaller than a 12 and would likely come in pushing 7 lbs. -

The 1620 series follow the same scheme so far as receiver finish / engraving etc however it is built on a 20 gauge frame which makes it lighter and more compact...they will typically come in around 6-1/4 to 6-1/2 lbs ----In general terms this is about the most desirable sxs in the Merkel lineup and is a sweet sweet shotgun. The Merkels have stock dimensions that fit me out of the box really well...5'9" 165lbs average build w/broad shoulders / average face structure...the 1620 pretty much shoots right where I point it and that seems to be a common trait with them across the board for most people.

The Parker repro is in fact a reproduction done by Winchester in the 80's...the Parker enthusiasts look upon them very kindly as very well executed and faithful reproductions that are very well made. Of course there are those that say they do not have the same "something" but you will always have that. I know of a SWEET "authentic" 20ga made in 1920 that I'd love to have but the 8K that would buy it needs to stay in my bank acct if you know what I mean. An original 28 ga would cost you in the neighborhood of 12-15K +......a repro for all intent and purposes puts a Parker 28 ga in my reach. It is such a pleasure to use and carry that gun! It really is a gem of a shotgun. There is a caveat to the Parkers...the stock dimensions do not work for everybody and the guns will often hit high for many people. You can have the stock bent or shaved but that's kind of a p.i.t.a....I have been shooting it as is and it works just fine for me with a bit of an adjustment period. I am going to purchase a slip-on butt pad which will lengthen the length of pull and thus put my cheek back and lower on the stock which will lower the point of aim likely to just the right spot for me. My wife has a smaller face so it fits her very well...she's not much of a shooter though and even though I got her a killer shotgun it doesn't seem to persuade her much...it's safe to say it will get used anyhow : )

The Merkel I posted from GB would be a very very nice gun for you if you like the Merkels...20 ga works for just about everything and is arguably the best all around upland shotgun ga. that there is.

Hope this helps..It can be a bit overwhelming figuring out the right sxs if you haven't handled alot of them...it can also be expensive....good luck.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 am

...a note regarding gauge

It's all relative. Somebody mentioned laying down in the muck shooting at Geese/Ducks etc....A nice sxs is definitely not the right setup for this because you will literally be opening the action etc and would not want grit etc entering the action which is quite exposed. Plus you want 3" + shells etc....I'd be looking at an 11-87 or variant of 12 ga. for this type of hunting.

I mentioned earlier I PERSONALLY do not like a 12 ga...that is because of the weight/bulk plus it's overkill for what I do...would be cool for Turkey's though. You CAN get reduced loads etc but still..

I like the 16 ga for Chukars-Pheasants...in my area that is actually somewhat overkill because I am not hunting wild birds and I'm hunting over a dog. It works out just fine but I do not shoot Quail with it as Quail are freaking quick and sometimes shots can be close which will just mutilate them.

20 ga...perfect compromise for everything from Woodcock (obviously wild) to Quail and Pheasants wild or pen raised over a pointing dog. (would take the 16 for strictly wild Pheasants and Chukars).

28 ga...great for Woodcock to Quail wild or pen raised...some will say it's plenty for pointed pen raised Pheasants...and is within it's limitations (30-35 yds)

.410...Woodcock and Quail...I wouldn't use it for anything but pen raised Quail personally.

All of the gauges hit just as hard with the same energy...that is to say the shootee does not know the difference whether it was hit with a 12 gauge or a 28 gauge so long as it was hit....it's just that there are fewer pellets and there are physical attributes regarding the physical size of the barrels/chokes which will have an effect on pellet pattern & density....the 28 requires a shade more skill than the 20 and is not all that effective beyond say 35 yds...the 20 would push that out to about 40 yards....16 45yds....12 50yds....that is generalizing but not really that far off.

I would highly recommend a 20 ga.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:32 am

Tooling –

WOW! Thanks for the info, it’s very helpful. The more I dig in the more overwhelming it becomes.

The more feedback I get the more I lean towards a 16 gauge. I currently own a 12 gauge auto and a 20 gauge pump. The 20 gauge is a joy to carry all day and seems to have plenty of knock down power for the birds that I currently hunt.
Now I just need to get out and handle a few. Now that I've started researching and looking the AYAs have caught my eye. Nice looking guns.

How about Browning BSS in 20 gauge?

Thanks again for all the info and for taking the time to share, it’s very useful!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Avoid paralysis by analysis in selecting a scattergun.
Most all will go bang over a period of hunting years, some will have a better balance for the individual shooter and their manner of shooting and a number will be more esthetically pleasing...perfect is waaaay overvalued.
Fit & Try & Buy.....odds are, any choice will work swell at first shot and odds are that any choice will go down the road or to the back of the safe at some point.
Learn what you prefer and what really works, for you, before you commit the larger dollars on the "perfect" choice.....that might be a wise idea.

Yes, Browning BSSs are solid brutes.

MilRob

Post by MilRob » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:34 pm

They are well made guns. Only downfall for me is weight. They are a little heavy for a 20 ga game gun. The sporter version are a little lighter but finding one under 6 1/2 lbs would be very tough. A 20 ga game gun with 28" barrels should be 6 lb in my opinion and I am not a very big fan of beaver of semi beavertail forends.

Fox Sterlingworth
Aya 4/53
Uggie grade 1-3
Merkel 1620 Might be tough finding one under 3k.

Research these and I am sure you would be happy with any of them.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:54 pm

rkappes wrote:Tooling –

WOW! Thanks for the info, it’s very helpful. The more I dig in the more overwhelming it becomes.

The more feedback I get the more I lean towards a 16 gauge. I currently own a 12 gauge auto and a 20 gauge pump. The 20 gauge is a joy to carry all day and seems to have plenty of knock down power for the birds that I currently hunt.
Now I just need to get out and handle a few. Now that I've started researching and looking the AYAs have caught my eye. Nice looking guns.

Thanks again for all the info and for taking the time to share, it’s very useful!

No problem...hey it was that or work on my books (taxes) :x

As a machinist by trade...I like the Merkels first and foremost but it really is a personal preference thing when you reach that level of craftsmanship....the AyA's are very nice shotguns. The Merkels are made very very well and while they are "fine-grade" they do have a utilitarian feel to them...I love that personally and they just simply point wonderfully. The Spanish/English guns by all means are very nice and certainly do have a svelt feel to them...love them too but geez a fella' can only afford but so much :?

There are a lot of nice guns out there in or near your price range..the SKB's (Ithaca) are very nice and alot of folks here seem to use them. Just about everything will certainly go bang but if you are are looking for heirloom type of hardware...do handle alot because it can be expensive buying/selling to find what you like...gun shows are good for this. Unfortunately you won't "really" know until you have carried it through the brush and on long treks and have swatted some birds out of the sky..that's just how it is..good luck and do update.

Mountaineer said, "Avoid paralysis by analysis in selecting a scattergun." <---There is a lot of wisdom in that statement...handle many and something will certainly feel "right"...you will know it when it does.
Last edited by Tooling on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm

If I had $2500-3000 grand to burn on a SxS it would be a CSMS RBL they can be found in excellent condition in that range.
http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/dtroy ... 020?sort=3

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:15 am

Any Franchi Destino 20 gauge users?

MilRob

Post by MilRob » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 am

CSMC RBL in a 20 ga yes. Not in a 16 ga. I have handled a few and seem a little heavy for a 16 ga. The 16 ga RBL's are a little tougher to sell because of this.

Franchi Destino can't say. Never seen one but in that price point there are a lot more proven guns I would choose long before that gun,

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Howie was interested in a Destino. He loved the looks but the gun was cut wrong for Howie. Howie was told there was about 250 Destino's produced.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:25 pm

I know opinions vary, and I am all about high end guns, but I do a lot of grouse hunting in rough country. I fall at least once a trip & bang my barrels off numerous trees as I am swinging on grouse or WC. I care for my guns and take good care of them, but I do use them. I happen to be fond of the stevens fox model b series. They are solid and rugged built American guns. Not the best but not the worst. I have one in 16g 26" barrels I/M that I shoot extremely well. I picked it up for $275 at around 90%. it takes the pressure off what can happen in the grouse woods. LOL I will save the classy stuff for the prairies if I ever make it out there! I have to add, it may not be 100 yeas old, but at 51 years old & still kicking its no spring chicken either! Looking forward to see what you find n the 3k range. If it were me, it would be a A.H. Fox Sterlingworth & it would be the best one I could find for 3k!!! :D

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:46 am

I handled a Citori Lightning 20 gauge yesterday and it felt really nice. $1,800 new.

Another shop just got a few different guns in that I need to go handle: LC Ideal 16ga 1921 in for $2,999, Merkle 47E 20ga $3,199 (beautiful looking gun) , Browning BSS 20 gauge $2300ish and a Winchester 23XTR Grade I $2,399.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, I appreciate it very much.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Heck why settle for a either, get both, in one gun. :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 am

If I had that much money to burn on a new gun, they would have double trigger's and ejectors. I say they because I think shotguns are usually terribly over priced. I have three AyA's right now. A16, 28 and 410. I've had a good number of 12's and found myself loading them with 1 1/8 oz loads for everything, recoil control. maybe but they killed just as well as 1 1/4 oz loads! I use 1 oz loads in my 16 and it does fine. I use 3/4 oz in my 28 and I've really just started with my 410 but 1/2 oz of #6 works great on homers. Bet it does great on grouse too!

A classic sxS might be a Stevens 311. Talk about plain and heavy for gauge but, they fun forever and the dirt cleans off if you want it to. The AyA Matador II are very good gun's and a bargain to boot. I also had a Charles Daly 500 made by Miroku that was a great gun. 28" barrels, 12ga, double trigger's and extractors; somehow it ended up at my son's house! About the same price range as the Matador's. Savage made the Fox for a while and probably some of them floating around. They were bulky and heavy. Kind of like that photo above of the gun ar Cabelas, think that's where it was. Lot's of inexpensive Spanish guns around used. I've seen a bunch that weren't all that great, hinge pins getting worn and action sloppy. But not all spanish gun's are like that, lot of good guns come out of Spain. Jap guns are usually very nice.

SxS or O/U is a judgement call. I prefer the SxS and can't really tell you why, just do. maybe it's because with the barrel's stacked, when I';m swinging the wind resistance with the extra barrel is unacceptable! :? Actually just don't like them as well. Got rid of an Citori 20ga years ago that I just didn't use, always grabbed my AyA's first. But I also had a savage 330 O/U I really liked. Would still have it but it came up missing at a brother's many years ago. I think he used it as a gift for one of his friends! There is one advantage to SxS's if you hunt ducks, not a big one but advantage. If your hunting in a blind, the O/U needs more room to open because of the stacked barrels, SxS opens with a lot less room.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!