H&R Single Shot

Ez4

H&R Single Shot

Post by Ez4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Does anyone have a H&R Pardner / Topper single shot? What do you think of it? How is the recoil of 12 ga birdshot in it?

I was thinking of picking one up cause they're super "economical" and it would be great to have a do anything gun and an extra loaner gun in case I get friends out that are not yet exposed to the sport, without having them follow along with empty hands.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: H&R Single Shot

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Started with a full choke 20 gauge H&R 52-53 years ago....shot my first ruffed grouse with it in '64'.
I have a 28 gauge H&R in the safe now.
As a wild bird(some) gun though, imo, the lack of a second shot is ethically dicey considering that it's use past a kid is mostly about a stunt or "watch 'is" or frets about weight.....but, you will get all sorts of opinions re that idea.
There was a fella in Idaho who hunted ruffed grouse, rode a bicycle to hunt and used, I believe, an H&R...he wrote a book about hunting the bird....Understated Elegance.
An H&R has limits....push 'em to the bird's loss....same as a 410.
But, it is a free country.

The H&R stock shape and LOP is not the best for most adults, the trigger can be very heavy, the hammer is a toss up(as hammers can be), lot of full chokes out and about and the scattergun's balance...poor.
But, it's a good gun for shooting training birds, squirrels, rabbits and repelling porch raiders.
The 12 could have a recoil issue from weight and stock design with some loads.

I would consider a cheaper pump for many reasons but....I also would not give a fella or feller-ette, never before exposed to the sport, a scattergun just to "follow along."
Never would do that...a-tall. :idea:

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 pm

We have one that has been floating down through the kids as they get old enough. robust simple to use. Can have a sticky chamber all of the ejector handi's can have that issue, I currently have 2 rifles and an extra barrel. Lots of "better" guns out there but it is a very suitable low cost newbie/extra gun.

For fun we like to slip in a 3 1/2" shell on said unsuspecting newbie or thrill seeker, ya sure know something happened when you light it off. We have all tried it once and really that is all a person needs :)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 am

aulrich wrote:We have one that has been floating down through the kids as they get old enough. robust simple to use. Can have a sticky chamber all of the ejector handi's can have that issue, I currently have 2 rifles and an extra barrel. Lots of "better" guns out there but it is a very suitable low cost newbie/extra gun.

For fun we like to slip in a 3 1/2" shell on said unsuspecting newbie or thrill seeker, ya sure know something happened when you light it off. We have all tried it once and really that is all a person needs :)
3 1/2" shell in a 2 3/4" or 3" chamber is not a wise plan, the pressure can cause a braech blow out and cause serious injury or even death. I am at a loss as to the lesson you are teaching, but you might try a less dangerous method.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:34 am

I was born at night but not last night :)

Someone a H&R thought it would be good to have a 3 1/2 in chamber on a 4 lb gun

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

4#?....might be a bit of an estimation. :D

Still, H&R has made a 3 1/2" chambered 12 to keep the marketers happy, and they may still make one, and even @ 6# or 7# in that Topper configuration, shooting could be...uncomfortable.
Interesting sense of fun, I must say.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:39 pm

my first gun was the 20gauge version. shot really well, very reliable. Shot some turkeys with it too and don't remember the kick being too bad with 3" turkey load. even shot rifled slugs decent up to 60yards.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:37 am

aulrich wrote:We have one that has been floating down through the kids as they get old enough. robust simple to use. Can have a sticky chamber all of the ejector handi's can have that issue, I currently have 2 rifles and an extra barrel. Lots of "better" guns out there but it is a very suitable low cost newbie/extra gun.
This is exactly what I was thinking about having one for, a good beater/loaner. Obviously, safety is always first. I'm picking mine up in a couple days. Only 216$ for a brand new american made shotgun, i'm excited.