steel shot in o/u

mowermandan

steel shot in o/u

Post by mowermandan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Hey guys I've got a question on over understand I've been looking at new guns I've narrowed my search to 3 guns a franchi instinct l model a cz red head or a ruger red lable I've heard Yat some of the over understand won't shoot steel shot a lot of the pheasant hunting I do is on a wa and they require federal a proved non toxic shot Wichita until less as I understand you use the high dollar loads steel shot is your choice is there any problem using steel in any of these 3 guns

luvthemud

Re: steel shot in o/u

Post by luvthemud » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:08 am

I am no expert, but I am pretty certain that it comes down to needing a steel proof choke. Some are and some aren't approved for use with steel.

I know a guy that picked up a CZ for this season and he shoots steel.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:33 am

Nearly all guns built after 1980 that are sold in the US are safe with steel. There are other non-toxic shot that many believe work better at the range most wild pheasant are shot. Pricey, but effective.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:48 am

You won't have any issues as long as your barrels are not Damascus and the choke isn't tighter than full.

Pheasanttracker

steel shot in o/u

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I picked up a CZ redhead about a month ago. You can shoot steel but not recommend for full or IM. Might want to also consider some of the other nontoxic shot although steel is significantly cheaper if I recall "bleep" was selling #6 steel for about 6 a box.

Kgrant

steel shot in o/u

Post by Kgrant » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 pm

You can shoot steel through an o/u just fine that's all I hunt with is an o/u for waterfowl and I love it. Two choke selection and more skill super fun .There is only a couple pieces of advice I have if you don't mind me sharing the first is use extended chokes they really help keep your pattern tight which is always important with scatter guns but more so with Steal you can get carlson choke extended chokes for 40 bucks 2nd you cannot shoot a Ported choke out of a double gun t you will separate the barrels and lastly it depends on the choke for a steel rating when you shoot steel it makes it so you shoot one choke tighter so a mod becomes full and a full becomes extra full and you absolutely cannot shoot anything larger than BB or faster than 1500 fps through a full choke or you'll really have a bad day either your barrel will blow or your choke will swell so bad it will get stuck in the gun good luck and let us know what you buy