Side by side repair

Mattaponikennels

Side by side repair

Post by Mattaponikennels » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm

I was recently given a few guns from a family member. One of them being a side by side 12g from the 50s. Everything works well mechanically but I cannot keep the trigger gaurd on. The wood in the stock in the screw hole has softened and the screws fall out. I tried using slightly larger screws but with the same result. Any ideas on how to keep the trigger gaurd from coming off without me damaging the stock?

nevermind

Re: Side by side repair

Post by nevermind » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:52 am

I'm assuming the flange of the trigger guard covers the screw hole. You can carefully drill out the screw hole to fit a 1/8 or 1/4 dowel depending on the room under the guard. cut a piece of dowel stock to fit.. then glue it in with a good grade of wood glue...leave till the next day. Now the hard part re-drill the screw hole in the dowel keeping the drill straight. When drilling the hole for the dowel use a piece of scrap wood for a test hole for the dowel as you will want a tight fit.

live4point

Post by live4point » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:41 pm

I think I'd try a few drops of wood glue in your screw hole, put your screw in, wipe off excess and let it set for a day.It should set up around your screw and bond to the wood also.l believe I would put a little oil on the screw threads and wipe off excess, so the glue wont bond too tight to the screw.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:26 am

without seeing the gun, I would probably clean up until I got to good wood and then fill with acraglass. after it dries redrill and screw it in.
Take Care
Pete