Ruger 28 Gauge

idahomarine

Ruger 28 Gauge

Post by idahomarine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 pm

As some of you know, I am in the market for a new upland shotgun. Originally, I wanted a 20 gauge and after handling several guns, the Ruger Red Label 20 gauge ended up on top of my list for fit and feel. However, my main issue with it is the weight (7 plus pounds for a 20 gauge). That got me reading up on the Red Label and I keep hearing that the 28 gauge is around 6 lbs. (my ideal weight is 6-6.5). I know that the ammo cost is a common complaint, but I don’t shoot a ton and I reload, so that is not a factor for me. My big questions for all of you are these:

1) If I shoot the 1 oz. 28 gauge loads, how much do I really lose compared to the 20 gauge? From what I’ve seen, most 20 gauge field loads are 1 oz. with the similar velocities. Unless the 28 gauge has some sort of pattern deficiency with a 1 oz. load, it seems to me like I should still have a 40 yard pheasant/sharptail gun with the right choke.

2) With the Red Label no longer being in production, what are the chances that I can find parts for repair over the next 20 years? On that same note, how likely is it that I will need to send it in?

3) Have any of you shot the bismuth shells in a 28 gauge for ducks? If so, how do they work for teal and jump shots at close range?

4) Any other reasonable opinions re: the 28 gauge?

Keep in mind the reason I am considering the 28 gauge is purely based on the fit of the particular gun. I've always understood that fit is the most important factor when deciding on a shotgun.

jstevens

Re: Ruger 28 Gauge

Post by jstevens » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I am not particularly a fan of the Ruger Red Label, but that is mostly personal. I have shot a bunch of birds with a 28 ga, including lots of limits of pheasants in SD. I normally shoot the Win 1 oz loads of 5's or 6's at pheasants, and it works quite well, at least to 35-40 yards, which is a pretty long shot. I have not shot bismuth, at ducks, been considering it, just haven't done it yet. From other guys, the Kent bismuth, or the Kent tungsten matrix is said to work quite well. For my part, I wish the steel shot was no more, I honestly think there are more ducks crippled with steel than were ever killed by lead.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:50 am

If your going to shoot 1 oz loads in a ga designed for 3/4 oz loads you may as well move up into 20 or even 12 ga.
There are 6 lb 12 ga guns out there & heavier of course. I prefer a smaller sized frame most of the time compared to a 12 ga.
I.M.O. I'd keep shopping.

It's your money buy what feels right.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 pm

The only reason I would consider the 28 gauge is the Red Label itself. I've handled as many O/U as I can find over the last 1.5 years and the two that fit me best are the Red Label and the Stevens 555 (better than the Beretta and Browning). After reading the reviews on the Stevens, I don't want to roll the dice that mine won't double fire. That leaves the Red Label. My only issues with it are weight and parts availability (when buying a used anything, I always plan on repairing it at some point and I've heard the Ruger is running out of 20 gauge repair parts). I shoot 6-6.5 lb. guns best, so the 28 gauge Red Label seems like a natural choice...but I completely agree that all things being equal, the 20 gauge is the better round. They are just heavier guns. I'll probably have to wait a year or two anyway to get the money, but it doesn't hurt to have a dream.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 am

Don't forget Merkel for an O/U provided it suits your taste and the budget will allow..it would last your lifetime and many generations to come. (wish I could afford one)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Tooling:

Now you are just rubbing it in... 8) I wish that a US company would start making double barrel shotguns again.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:20 pm

idahomarine wrote: I wish that a US company would start making double barrel shotguns again.
Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company (CSMC)

..but to your actual point - I agree, it is a shame that manufacturing as a whole is going the way of the seamstress in the US

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 pm

the ruger is made in the USA as well. i have not heard of a parts shortage and there are companies that can make obsolete parts. The Conneticut shotgun manufacturing company is the only one that i know of that is made in the usa. i dont think that was part of your decision making process as you looked at he Stevens. Did you try the CZ or tri star. i know quite a few that have them with no problems at all. i myself own a 28 guage tri star that i picked up for dog training. i have since used it on club birds and for the most part it does ok but on pheasant even the club birds it does not always have enough punch, when using i get on the birds quick. i have friends who use the 28 on wild chukar and quail with great success they do it because they are light and on top of that they are excellent marksman.
if your going after a used red label there are some that have an english/straight stock that knocks off a little bit of weight.
again if used what about a Beretta ultra light. there is one on gunbroker right now although it is a 12 gauge. CZ, tri star and Franchi also make an aluminum receiver guns.
Back to the subject. lots of 28 gauge ammo out there. Fiochi makes a 7/8 golden pheasant load that would work well. good luck
Take Care
Pete

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:14 am

I have a Red Label in 20 gauge. I love that gun. I hope to get one in 28 gauge eventually. Ruger does not make them anymore so they are going to get in short supply eventually. My gun is an older model and Ruger does not support the one that have serial numbers that begin in 400 and 401. They still support the newer models. I know this because I had a seer break and I went to Ruger and they directed me to places to get the parts. My gunsmith was able to get the parts and it is up and running again. If there is not a shortage of parts now there will be eventually as Ruger isn't making them anymore. Just my two cents.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. Like all of us, I have more ideas and wants than money. We'll see what I can't find in the pawn shops and on Gunbroker between now and August 30.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 pm

I have always found the feel of a Ruger to be bulky/chunky. It's weight supports my perception and not what I enjoy in my forays afield. In my estimation, I believe you are misinterpreting feel for fit. A gun should fit you however if both a Ruger and a Purdey were made to the exact same specs, they would assuredly "feel" miles apart.
As already mentioned, I believe a one ounce 28 gauge is about as inefficient as a 3" 410. I'm NOT saying they won't kill birds however too many hunters seem to think more lead is going to make them better shots. It doesn't work that way. I used 1 ounce max in my 20 gauge and 7/8 ounce max in my 28. Both do the job nicely on wild birds. The 28 gauge wouldn't be my choice for pheasants however I would "get on them" a little sooner. And yet, my son has shot (game farm) pheasants effectively with his .410 so...
I would look for a well maintained used gun of higher quality and feel than the Ruger. Connecticut Arms makes superb guns for the money but I can't speak to your budget.

idahomarine

Post by idahomarine » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am

I might be misinterpreting fit for feel. All I know is that when I shoulder it, the bead is where is should be and I don't have to move my head around to point it...but it is too heavy for the gauge. It's a bit of a moot point right now though. Household projects just delayed any new gun buying.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Featherfinder wrote:I have always found the feel of a Ruger to be bulky/chunky. It's weight supports my perception and not what I enjoy in my forays afield. In my estimation, I believe you are misinterpreting feel for fit. A gun should fit you however if both a Ruger and a Purdey were made to the exact same specs, they would assuredly "feel" miles apart.
As already mentioned, I believe a one ounce 28 gauge is about as inefficient as a 3" 410. I'm NOT saying they won't kill birds however too many hunters seem to think more lead is going to make them better shots. It doesn't work that way. I used 1 ounce max in my 20 gauge and 7/8 ounce max in my 28. Both do the job nicely on wild birds. The 28 gauge wouldn't be my choice for pheasants however I would "get on them" a little sooner. And yet, my son has shot (game farm) pheasants effectively with his .410 so...
I would look for a well maintained used gun of higher quality and feel than the Ruger. Connecticut Arms makes superb guns for the money but I can't speak to your budget.
Very good post!

uplandave

Post by uplandave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 pm

idahomarine just a suggestion on 28 ga. O/Us. I am not sure how it compares to the Savage 555 but I have a Savage Milano and I love the way it feels and handles.
There is one GB at this time. Just throwing that out there. Good luck, Dave

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Featherfinder wrote:I have always found the feel of a Ruger to be bulky/chunky. It's weight supports my perception and not what I enjoy in my forays afield. In my estimation, I believe you are misinterpreting feel for fit. A gun should fit you however if both a Ruger and a Purdey were made to the exact same specs, they would assuredly "feel" miles apart.
Looking at the CSMC's it appears as if the only O/U 28 ga they offer is the A10, in which they threw a set of 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame. So instead of going through the expense that Ruger did, and building a slim dedicated 28 gauge frame, you can get a bulkier/heavier gun by spending an extra $5K-10K. Or am I missing something in their lines beside the 2x4s?

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:48 pm

You love a good sxs don't you nike.. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Tooling wrote:You love a good sxs don't you nike.. :)
If the OP was looking for a used 20 gauge 2x4 with a budget around $3200, CSMC has something to offer with their RBL. Nice looking gun.