Can the wad from a shotgun start a fire?

Montana

Can the wad from a shotgun start a fire?

Post by Montana » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:10 pm

As many of you probably know, Montana is in the worst drought in history. Our bird season opened yesterday. I've never thought much about it before, but could the wad when shooting a shell start a fire? It's really too hot to hunt my dogs other than early morning or late evening (94 degrees here today). I've not been out yet. I'm surprised the state hasn't shut down the hunting.... Many landowners have and the hunting season on the Rocky Boy Reservations has been closed until further notice...

Also, it's very, very smokey around here..... It can't be good to run dogs in this smoke even if it cools off. We haven't had an all day rain here in this part of Montana since April....it just goes on and on and on....hot sunny day after hot sunny day.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Can the wad from a shotgun start a fire?

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Unlikely...more of an issue with vehicles and catalytic converters, careless hunters and irresponsible actions....on and on.

Montana

Post by Montana » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Unlikely...more of an issue with vehicles and catalytic converters, careless hunters and irresponsible actions....on and on.
For sure....hot exhaust parked on dry vegetation, etc. is probably much more of a danger. Like I said, too hot and smokey to hunt today anyway, but it's supposed to cool off some although there is still no rain in sight in the foreseeable future.. 96 degrees here right now. About all I'll do today is take the dogs for a swim.....

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:11 am

Montana wrote:As many of you probably know, Montana is in the worst drought in history. Our bird season opened yesterday. I've never thought much about it before, but could the wad when shooting a shell start a fire? It's really too hot to hunt my dogs other than early morning or late evening (94 degrees here today). I've not been out yet. I'm surprised the state hasn't shut down the hunting.... Many landowners have and the hunting season on the Rocky Boy Reservations has been closed until further notice...

Also, it's very, very smokey around here..... It can't be good to run dogs in this smoke even if it cools off. We haven't had an all day rain here in this part of Montana since April....it just goes on and on and on....hot sunny day after hot sunny day.
Shut down the hunting, I cant believe some comments on here

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Considering the tinderbox that is the eastern MT+ area, I can't believe there are not more notes of the dangers possible from any activity on the plains.
Birdhunting...simply is not the most important ingredient in every instance.

Fingers crossed that the area and it's folks receive some relief and, a good dose of luck. :idea:

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:29 am

Get out and go hunting don't let doom and gloom stop you, lots of birds in Montana , tired of hearing drought this and that , if people really did there homework and talk to the right people they would actually be surprised of how opposite of the doom and gloom it is , I leave Tuesday night for ne corner of Montana cant wait!!!!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Good luck.
Obviously the state has not been shut down to birdhunters and I expect there can be areas blessed with less of a drought/fire danger...it's a big state.

However, questioning what if or considering responsibility does not appear to be that poor an idea.
I know a fella hunter/dog guy in that area who uses terms like tinderbox and, I respect his opinion.....that opinion would indicate, to me, it would be wise to at least question worst case and being birdy to what if.

Others may just go and hope.....a spray and pray type of attitude.
Which is ok....just not my way to do things.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Good luck.
Obviously the state has not been shut down to birdhunters and I expect there can be areas blessed with less of a drought/fire danger...it's a big state.

However, questioning what if or considering responsibility does not appear to be that poor an idea.
I know a fella hunter/dog guy in that area who uses terms like tinderbox and, I respect his opinion.....that opinion would indicate, to me, it would be wise to at least question worst case and being birdy to what if.

Others may just go and hope.....a spray and pray type of attitude.
Which is ok....just not my way to do things.
Like I said do your homework talk to more than one or two people and you will know whats really going on

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm

i really have no interest in your particular instructions on birdhunting ....like I said..."good luck" and "not my way to do things".

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

fwlifw............http://fwp.mt.gov/export/sites/FwpPubli ... n/region6/

Further changes would not be unlikely...not a bad idea to look before one leaps. :idea:

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Mountaineer wrote:fwlifw............http://fwp.mt.gov/export/sites/FwpPubli ... n/region6/

Further changes would not be unlikely...not a bad idea to look before one leaps. :idea:
Like leap off the couch? Enjoy my pics from Montana in a couple weeks :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:29 am

tailcracken pointer wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:fwlifw............http://fwp.mt.gov/export/sites/FwpPubli ... n/region6/

I'm sure that I will enjoy your photos....I never allow my opinion of a person's irresponsible attitude to be held against either their photos or their dogs.

There is a legitimate reason for the somewhat widespread land closures/restrictions in the MT management areas...the danger is real, as are those restrictions for walk-in or permitted vehicular traffic, big game or upland....each of which may impact a birdhunter in some fashion.
On a public message board only a self-focused individual woud advise discounting or downplaying any of those legitimate reasons for the placing of closures or restrictions on areas impacted.

The point, of course, is to be aware and to maintain responsiblity in areas where, today especially, responsibility matters....accidents and bad stuff happening often can be avoided.
And accidents can also impact a rancher's desire to allow folks to hunt on their land next season...Respect should have all letters capitalized.
Secondly, another point is for visiting folks to not be caught unaware and possibly dinged by F&G officers....the smoking lamp is off in some areas, for example.
Large points and small points......just a heads up to those unselfish enough to care.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:29 am

Mountaineer wrote:
tailcracken pointer wrote:

I'm sure that I will enjoy your photos....I never allow my opinion of a person's irresponsible attitude to be held against either their photos or their dogs.

There is a legitimate reason for the somewhat widespread land closures/restrictions in the MT management areas...the danger is real, as are those restrictions for walk-in or permitted vehicular traffic, big game or upland....each of which may impact a birdhunter in some fashion.
On a public message board only a self-focused individual woud advise discounting or downplaying any of those legitimate reasons for the placing of closures or restrictions on areas impacted.

The point, of course, is to be aware and to maintain responsiblity in areas where, today especially, responsibility matters....accidents and bad stuff happening often can be avoided.
And accidents can also impact a rancher's desire to allow folks to hunt on their land next season...Respect should have all letters capitalized.
Secondly, another point is for visiting folks to not be caught unaware and possibly dinged by F&G officers....the smoking lamp is off in some areas, for example.
Large points and small points......just a heads up to those unselfish enough to care.
Very well said.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:00 am

lol I never let my opinion of doom and gloom of someones negativity affect me going hunting in most peoples bucket list trip, its all good some people can actually take time and go most do there hunting off the internet , when you go as much as me and even spend as much as me or make , try keeping your negative comments to you and the guys in the coffee shop meanwhile since you have no clue of how good the hunting really is or bird numbers I would leave it to us who are hunting in Montana, and Ezzy you should be embarrassed of that comment how can you not see through this guy lol I mean he has to be the most negative on any forum out there but whatever you used to be one of my favs but being a mod they just have to show there true colors I guess, how sad

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 am

tailcracken pointer wrote:lol I never let my opinion of doom and gloom of someones negativity affect me going hunting in most peoples bucket list trip, its all good some people can actually take time and go most do there hunting off the internet , when you go as much as me and even spend as much as me or make , try keeping your negative comments to you and the guys in the coffee shop meanwhile since you have no clue of how good the hunting really is or bird numbers I would leave it to us who are hunting in Montana, and Ezzy you should be embarrassed of that comment how can you not see through this guy lol I mean he has to be the most negative on any forum out there but whatever you used to be one of my favs but being a mod they just have to show there true colors I guess, how sad
I sure hope, for your sake, that you have a good support network (family/friends). You're sure going to need it when you come crashing down off of that pedestal you're on because life gave you a swift kick square in the a$$.

You are a true pos.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:05 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:lol I never let my opinion of doom and gloom of someones negativity affect me going hunting in most peoples bucket list trip, its all good some people can actually take time and go most do there hunting off the internet , when you go as much as me and even spend as much as me or make , try keeping your negative comments to you and the guys in the coffee shop meanwhile since you have no clue of how good the hunting really is or bird numbers I would leave it to us who are hunting in Montana, and Ezzy you should be embarrassed of that comment how can you not see through this guy lol I mean he has to be the most negative on any forum out there but whatever you used to be one of my favs but being a mod they just have to show there true colors I guess, how sad
I am sure that somehow you have ascended the ladder of knowledge far above the rest of the people on the forum and are up here on the highest rung with me. Being a Mod though requires me to act as stupid as the rest of this pathetic crowd so I understand why you are confused about my position. I know you and I are more important than the average and therefore we should ignore common sense ideas like not playing with fire when it is extremely dry and windy. Most of these slobs do not even understand that the center of the universe just happens to be our navels. But to provide a place for them to post their thought and ideas I have been forced to conceal my true feelings and act like everyone is important and that their ideas of equality and humility are part of our existence.

I do have to ask though that you moderate your thoughts a little and let the uneducated masses think they have something to say that matters as it will give them a reason for existing. After all we still need bodies to do the menial tasks of the world so you and I can continue to play our games while the masses work to provide for us.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Your honorable and regal moderator, though disguised to just look and act stupid,
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mask

Post by mask » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:24 pm

One of the ranches we hunt will not even allow shod horses off of established roads let alone vehicles. I'm pretty sure they think the fire danger is far above average and very real. The wind and a very dry fire load make for a dangerous combination kind of like ignorance and arrogance. The answer to the mans question is no.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:46 pm

I just returned from Helena tonight after watching my son play hockey last night. I was a wildland firefighter for 35 years and spent a lot of time in Montana during that time. I've never seen it this dry. It is drier than Provo, Utah on St. Patrick's Day. :D If you go be careful.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

Just a heads up, "doom and gloom attitudes" aside, there are actually significant hunting closures in eastern Montana due to fire danger. Know before you go! http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/ ... n/region7/. It is crazy dry out west. It's no joke and I'd be really careful if you decide to head out. http://www.wfas.net/images/firedanger/fd_class.png
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'