New O/U Choices.......

TheMorningRise

New O/U Choices.......

Post by TheMorningRise » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 pm

I am in the market for a new over under and it is between.......

- Beretta 687 EELL
- Caesar Guerini Magnus
- Fausti Class SLX

Looking for feedback on them from anyone who has owned them.

I used to be a big Beretta fan. However, it seems like each new release that they have, especially in the sub-$5k range, becomes more simple and more unattractive. I still wish they kept the Silver Pigeon V around! So, I am in the air with Beretta.

The Magnus is a fine gun. I really like the way it shoulders and handles. I believe it has some phenomenal wood as well. Especially at the price range.

The Fausti is actually my favorite. However, trying to get a hold of one is like winning the lottery. Beautiful guns and should I ever look to an O/U north of the $10k range (which would be way down the road), Fausti is the front runner with the Italyco SLX Theme 3.

Any feedback is appreciated!

nevermind

Re: New O/U Choices.......

Post by nevermind » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 am

Reading your post... I would think you have already chose the gun. Go and find out if you can hit anything with it!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:59 am

What gauge are you looking at and what type of shooting do you plan on doing with these guns?

TheMorningRise

Post by TheMorningRise » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:11 am

Steve007 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:59 am
What gauge are you looking at and what type of shooting do you plan on doing with these guns?

12ga. and 20ga.

Both with 28" barrels.

Mostly Pheasant. Some Chukar. May entertain a 26" for Grouse.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm

I'd go with a 20 gauge O/U or SxS. Unless you are slight of build or a lady under 5' 4" or have short arms you would be mistaken buying 26" barrels. You might have noticed is that folk are realizing that the perceived restriction that 2" makes by the lovely guns currently available for a decent price but... with 26" barrels.
Gun fit including feel/balance is critical.
Some have always had guns that don't fit them so they're perception is that one that actually fits feels strange. It's not the gun.
Yes, I too hunt in dense woodcock/grouse cover. There are times when a hand gun won't help but 26" is not going to get me birds that the 28 incher won't. The difference in the feel/swing/balance/success of a properly fit gun will pay it's own dividends over time, regardless of what/where you hunt.
Perhaps not so much for woodcock but the grouse I hunt don't offer you the luxury of a sustained-lead or swing-through approach. My grouse hunting typically offers an instinctive split second poke to where your brain has already made the calculation. It's often just a blur. Gun fit is even more important here.