Retay shotuns

Bugchucker

Retay shotuns

Post by Bugchucker » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:54 pm

Anyone have any experience with the new Retay shotuns? Specifically I'm looking at the Masai Mara, 20 ga/26" barrel. I mostly hunt upland, Chukar, Grouse and Huns. I have a Benelli Montefeltro now, I originally thought the Retay was a US made gun, but it's Turkish. The Turks make some fine guns...I'm particularly interested in the bore drilled barrel. Any input would be appreciated. My Benelli is 12 ga and 28" barrel. Just looking to lighten up.

Thanks,

Phil
"Have patience when they are hard of hearing...it’s the birds' fault."
-Peter Fragiskatls

Garrison

Re: Retay shotuns

Post by Garrison » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Sorry, I can’t relay any personal experience with Retay. I could be completely wrong in my assumption, not the first time. But, I am trying to imagine a better hunting semi-auto for the uplands than a Montefeltro, and having trouble thinking of one. Much less a Turkish made gun.

I probably have way too many field grade guns and a handful of “fine shotguns” in the collection. Beyond my Citori which got some character when my uncle dropped it (totally worth it, the ding will be around longer than he will) not too many of those see much action beyond a soft oiled rag after some clays.

I know this is going to get a laugh, but I have been carrying a Mossberg 970 Pro for 95% of my hunting the last couple years. Cycles faster than anything I have ever shot and if/when it takes the eventual trip down the chukar hills, I am not overly concerned. It’s a tool.

P.S. As someone with a self-admitted collection problem of fishing gear and shotguns. I would never try to dissuade anyone from a purchase. Let us know how it shoots.😉

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Bugchucker

Re: Retay shotuns

Post by Bugchucker » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:06 am

Garrison wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:45 pm

I know this is going to get a laugh, but I have been carrying a Mossberg 970 Pro for 95% of my hunting the last couple years. Cycles faster than anything I have ever shot and if/when it takes the eventual trip down the chukar hills, I am not overly concerned. It’s a tool.

Garrison
Won't get a laugh from me. My 870 Wingmaster is still one of my favorite guns. I went and looked at the Retay, it seems to be essentially a Turkish Benelli. They seem to have improved upon the inertia system and the trigger group comes out with the push of a button. The Turkish wood is nice and overall is a handsome gun, but...it's Turkish. I think I'll wait a bit to see other reviews first.

Thanks Garrison
"Have patience when they are hard of hearing...it’s the birds' fault."
-Peter Fragiskatls