16ga. Reloading Data

Will

16ga. Reloading Data

Post by Will » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Does anybody have any good proven reloading data for light 1oz. target/quail type load for 16ga using Red Dot powder?

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Were you able to find any reloading info from Ballistic Products? I would think they would have something for the 16 Ga. If not with red dot, certainly other powders?

In the meantime here's an Alliant site (makers of red dot) they have some sample loads on here. Just click on the 1 oz load under Fiocchi hull. It seems to be the only one they have that uses Red Dot.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... =Shotshell

Will

Post by Will » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:31 pm

Tom,

Nothing from Ballistic...but I emailed Alliant a while back. They now only recommend using Unique as it burns slower. The consensus seems to be that Red Dot is too hot and should be used mainly for 12ga. I didn't think it could be that big of a difference if the measure was cut back as in that Fiocchi load. I just happen to have a bunch of Red Dot and wanted to use it up if possible.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:14 pm

Yes Red Dot is a fast burning powder and because of the internal pressures is best suited for the 12 Ga. I believe Fiocchi Hulls produce a lower pressure and combined with the right wad would probably be your only ticket. Generally the smaller the gauge the slower burning powder you need. Hope you can find a use for it.

Will

Post by Will » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:28 pm

Oh I suppose I could load up some 12's....although tis just about as cheap to buy em anymore. That's not really the case with the 16's. Thanks for the help!!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 am

Try Ballistic Products again. www.ballisticproducts.com They have a reloading manual just for the 16 ga. Call them up or order their catalog, you will find it.

Will

Post by Will » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 pm

I found the book....and I had already bought a canister of Unique. Maybe the book has some loads using the Red Dot for heavier loads.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:29 am

Red Dot is pretty fast. I know alot of target shooters like it cause it is inexpensive, but I prefer the moderate powders such as Clays for the 12 ga. The difference in felt recoil is probably not enough for a hunter to notice much, but if you are shooting target it makes a difference.

I have the 16 manual around somewhere, probably a little older version, I will look and see if there is anything for Red Dot in there. What about just dropping the load weight to 7/8's. Maybe not what you are looking for but you might be able to use up the Red Dot that way.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:13 am

Something I found with Red Dot is that it is dirty burning powder. I've used a lot of it but can't find the data right now. I also use it in SxS's, and 38 Spec cast loads, and wouldn't use it in an auto loader, just to dirty.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 am

As John pointed out, Clays powder by Hodgdon is a very good powder for 1 oz charges. Extremely clean burning, as are most of Hodgdon's shotshell powders. For the smaller gauges you might also look into International clays, or Universal clays which are both a bit slower burning for heavier loads or smaller gauges.

Back in my reloading days I used a fair amount of the Clays, and even International Clays for some stout 1 1/8 oz loads. Very little residue in the bore after many rounds.

Will

Post by Will » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 pm

I don't have a problem going to 7/8oz loads....I'd like to load some up using known data and give them a try at least. It is dirty burning powder...but honestly I don't think it can be worst than the factory Fiocchi loads.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:35 pm

Some years ago I was a regular at the trap range. I used to use Red Dot, but then switched to Clays. Very clean burning. even after 200 rounds the bores look clean.

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Try taking a look at www.16ga.com Quite a bit of info and knowledgeable people.