Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

restock a shotgun

restock a shotgun

Postby john » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 pm

i have a ruger o/u that has a major crack around the pistol grip portion of the stock. i was wondering if anybody knew of a good gunsmith to get it restocked and how much the average cost would be?
john

Postby Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:48 pm

You could also try Numrich Arms on the Internet. www.e-gunparts.com

That is a manufactured stock, you would not need a gunsmith to just put another one on the gun. Unscrew the butt plate/recoil pad. There is a screw in the top and bottom of the back, phillips. The holes are hard to see in a recoil pad, but put some petroleum jelly on the screwdriver and just push it through. Once that is off, you will see a big screw head down deep in the stock. It will take a long, large screwdriver, probably 12" long. Unscrew it and the stock comes off. Reverse the procedure to put the new stock on.

You don't need to go to a gunsmith unless you want the stock fitted, but it is not fitted right now unless you had the work done.
Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Postby littleking » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:45 pm

littleking

Re: restock a shotgun

Postby highcotton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:49 pm

john wrote:i have a ruger o/u that has a major crack around the pistol grip portion of the stock. i was wondering if anybody knew of a good gunsmith to get it restocked and how much the average cost would be?

Are you sure it can't be repaired? I have been suprised by the outcome of some repair jobs (done by professionals) on stocks that appeared to be destroyed.
highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Postby phermes1 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm

I got a big crack in the stock of my Beretta o/u just recently. Took it to a gunsmith to get it fixed and got all of the wood refinished while I was at it.
The guy did an amazing job. There is no trace of the crack anymore. I know exactly where it was, and even I can't find a trace. I'd consider just getting the crack fixed.
phermes1
GDF Junkie

Return to Guns and Ammo