Ruger Red Label

CherrystoneWeims

Ruger Red Label

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:39 pm

I just got a new toy this past Wed. A Ruger Red Label.

I have searched for over two years for a shotgun that I liked. I tried a Stoeger Condor but just didn't like it. Too heavy for me due to tendon problems in my elbows. I tried a Benelli Franchi and liked it but when I tried to get one found out they were back ordered for over three months.

I just happened to go into the hunting and fishing store next to where my son takes drum lessons (I was killing some time) and started looking at the guns. I lucked out! The stock fits me perfectly! I'm only 5' tall so just about every other gun I have looked at would have to have the stock cut.

I tried it out today and I LOVE it!!!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:26 am

20 gauge or 28? A buddy of mine has a 28 gauge and I love it, I've tried to take it home with me a few times but he alwaus remember to gran it out of my truck.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:05 pm

Although I'm not a big fan of RRL's. I am a firm believer in that if a gun fits you and you shoot it well that's the gun for you. Congrats on the new bird slayer. WDO

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I like the lines, love the quality, just can't shoot one for anything. They are stocked quite low and the triggers tend to be heavier than I like.

I spent a lot of time shooting target rifles with triggers that break like glass at around 2 oz. Consequently, I can't abide a heavy trigger or one with a lot of travel.

I had to buy a new trigger for my Remington 1100 that my son is using for a slug gun. It'll make it through this season, but that guy *has* to go off and get tuned once the season is over. Between the brutal recoil and all the travel, I could easily develop a flinch.

Best, Greg J.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 pm

Birdhunter1 wrote:20 gauge or 28? A buddy of mine has a 28 gauge and I love it, I've tried to take it home with me a few times but he alwaus remember to gran it out of my truck.
20 gauge.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:22 pm

I have a Red label in 28 gge. Like Greg, I don't shoot this gun well. It is a finely made shotgun, but just doesn't fit me well.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Kygrousehunter would you consider selling that Ruger?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:52 pm

If I found one with a higher stock, I'd have it in a heart beat. I can probably clean up the triggers myself. If not, I can always get a real gunsmith to do it.

Best, Greg J.

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:17 am

Birdhunter,
Hadn't really thought much about selling it till you mentioned it. I tend to hang on to several I don't shoot anymore. Let me think about it and I will p.m. you with a phone number.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 am

Red Label's are nice guns...good quality and shoot nice...however I'm with Greg on this one...the 12 I tried out for a while was stocked to low for me.
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Kygrousehunter is it a straight stock or pistol grip?

kygrousehunter

Red Label

Post by kygrousehunter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:02 pm

O.K. guys, Thanks
Because of the recent RRL talk, I had to go to the garage, move my deer hunting "stuff" and ATV to get to the safe. Then proceed to dig to the back of it just to admire my Red Label. Bird Hunter, it is a pistol grip. I had forgotten how nice that peice looks. The strange thing is that when I shoulder the gun it comes right up. I just don't shoot it well. I don't think it has anything to do with the guage. A freind has one in 20 that I have shot, (tried to shoot). My other 28, Franchi 48 AL just seems to hit if pointed in the general direction.
Still on the fence about selling.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:03 pm

I've got a RRL 12 gauge 30" barels that I just love. Great styling, beautiful wood, the only down fall is that it is a bit heavy.

I always have felt that the RRL pulls up and must be stocked similar to Brownings. I also have a Beretta O/U that I like, nice and light, but pulls up and shoots completely different. I always have to make a mental note to my self on which gun I'm using and adjust accordingly.

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 pm

I have a 20 and 28 RRL They sure are nice guns.

This is my 20GA.

Michael

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:36 pm

I used my RRL 20 gauge for the first time today for quail. I have to admit to everyone that I have not done much shooting in the past. I am usually so into working the dogs that I have someone else shooting for me!

WOW this gun is perfect for me!!!! I had quite a few kills and it swung up so naturally. I am only 5' tall so the stock is shorter than what most of you probably have. I was amazed at how great this gun feels and how easy it was for me to shoot it. The weight is perfect for me also.

I have to admit I am now hooked! Can't wait to get out and shoot again.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:12 am

Mtngt,
That sure is one pretty RRL.
That engraving is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:44 pm

What is your LOP? My wife is also 5' tall, and her LOP is 11.5" so she has a tough time finding a gun that fits. Maybe a Ruger would fit her too.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 pm

NJ GSP wrote:What is your LOP? My wife is also 5' tall, and her LOP is 11.5" so she has a tough time finding a gun that fits. Maybe a Ruger would fit her too.
OK you are asking me something that I don't have a clue about. What is LOP??
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:59 am

LOP= length of pull. The distance from the end of the buttstock to the trigger. Most adult guns will be near 14" standard.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Birdhunter1 wrote:LOP= length of pull. The distance from the end of the buttstock to the trigger. Most adult guns will be near 14" standard.
Oops, I meant to elaborate in my original post, and forgot...

My wife has a hard time with any gun, they are just too big. I bought her a Franchi 720 short stock, and it still doesn't fit her. I had to cut the stock down even more, and in fact I took a little too much off.

She likes it because it only weighs in at 5 pounds, but she shoots lefty. So this presents a little bit a problem working with the safety. She would really like an O/U too, and that's why I asked what the Length of pull on your Red Label is (as measured from butt plate to the trigger).

Thanks!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:02 pm

The length of pull is 14. I would have thought it would be shorter. But I do have kind of long arms for my height.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:18 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:The length of pull is 14. I would have thought it would be shorter. But I do have kind of long arms for my height.
OK thanks!

I think we need to find a custom stock maker... :?

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:06 pm

I've owned a couple of them, a 12 and a 20. The Red Labels have a low comb that is hard to get used to if you're not accustomed to that. I have a hunting buddy who has a sporting clays model and he is way deadly with it so that does appeal to some. I couldn't hit a thing with them. The clays model does have better triggers, btw.

They are a stoutly built gun, maybe a bit crude but durable and if you can get along with the quirky stock shape, hard to beat for the price. I dunno if they still make the Sporting Clays model but if they do, I'd go that way.

tanner

Post by tanner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:59 pm

like tdhusker said they are very durable, my dad has thrown his over a cliff (not intentionally) but was lucky enough to find it and it still dosent have a problem, not a scratch on it.