Mossberg Silver Reserve

GWP-Fritz

Mossberg Silver Reserve

Post by GWP-Fritz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:02 am

I just got a Mossberg Silver Reserve 12ga O/U and I have a question for anyone else who has one or has shot one.

Does the Safety reset when you break the gun open? This gun does not. The trigger locked up and I did not even get through my first round of 25 of its first shoot.

I am going to take it in to a gunsmith and will see, but just thought I would ask if the safety not reseting upon breaking it open was normal.
Thanks,
Adam

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

I have read alot of articles and reviews on this gun because I was in the market for one. I'm sorry to say that there wasn't too much positive feedback. A few people had some things modified and they ended up as decent guns.
Cam

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:10 am

Not sure about this exact issue, but my friend had one where both barrels would fire at the same time.

If it is a new gun, I would contact Mossburg. They should pay for any repair bill and may want to repair it themselves.

Justin

P.S. Next time pay the extra money and get a CZ.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:15 pm

P.S. Next time pay the extra money and get a CZ.

Code: Select all

Thats what I did and I'm glad considering all I'm hearing about the Mossberg.  Thats too bad as I have always liked Mossberg pumps and autoloaders in the past.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:12 am

For all those bashing the Mossberg Silver Reserve...these are great guns and while a few have experienced some problems the majority have not.

I'm assuming Justin is referring to my wife's 20 gauge that was double firing last year at a sporting clays event and I sent the gun back to Mossberg and had it replaced by mossberg no questions asked. We've put probably 150-200 round through it since getting it back and have no problems. I shoot the mossberg silver reserve 12 gauge and have never had one problem with it. Both the 12 and the 20 fit my wife and I and our needs.

I see no reason to spend extra money on a "CZ" or any other gun for that matter. These are field guns that get used for Hunting, training the dogs, and call backs at field trials and are not meant to sit in a case to look pretty. Frankly I'm glad I did buy the Mossberg cause thats $200-$400(depending on who and where you bought it from) per gun that I saved over buying a "CZ"

Mr. "One" BB 8)

To answer Adam's question...no the safety does not reset when breaking the gun open this is normal. as for the trigger locking after the first 25 rounds. sounds like your having the same problem that my wife's gun had...send it back to Mossberg they will take care of the problem as it should be covered under warranty.
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

GWP-Fritz

Post by GWP-Fritz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:54 pm

Thanks for all of your help!

So now I know that the gun does not return to safe when I break it open, I will make sure I do that manually.

As far as the trigger goes. I took the gun into a gun smith to have it looked at since I have a Pheasant trip next weekend and didn't have time to send it back unless the gun smith thought that would be the best way to handle it. He opened it up and it was all gummed up. He cleaned it out and everything works right again. So it sounds like I am all set. I am fairly new to the sport, do you spray cleaner in the trigger? And then spray lube? Or will the oil from lube gum up from the dust in the field? I will ask the gun smith too.

When I did shoot the gun I really liked it. I will give a more in depth review after my Pheasant weekend!

Thanks again!
Adam

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:15 pm

I have a 410 silver reserve that I've had no trouble with.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Ahhh, Mr one BB.

Hope you're practicing up for the TOP GUN. He-he. Dr. Allen will be ready. :wink:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

bird

Post by bird » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:46 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:27 am

Ahhh, Mr one BB.

Hope you're practicing up for the TOP GUN. He-he. Dr. Allen will be ready. Wink

Yup Justin...will be ready...although I think Ruth has to work this year so I dont know if she'll be attending. If I remember correctly wasn't it Denny and I that won partners last year...and we all know how Denny shoots :lol:
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:36 am

Personally I thought this thread was pretty "soft"and "kind" on the Mossbergs. If this thread was considered bashing I would hate to think what you would say if you saw some of the threads I have seen about Mossbergs. This thread hadn't even gotten to the Pre-school level of bashing before you came in and threw a hissy and tossing the bashing word around.

If these guns are so great then why the heck do you have to send them back to the company to have them fixed so they would work properly? Doesn't sound like much of a gun or quality to me if that is the case. I'm not bashing the "M" gun, just pointing out that you seem to be pretty defensive in a quick way when it really didn't seem like you needed to be. I bet most people were just sitting there reading the thread and thinking oh no another Mossberg thread. Do I give my honest opinion and then have to listen(read) to some die hard Mossberg lover throw a tantrum about how great of a gun it is or was or whatever it turns out to be after sending them into the factory to have them fixed to operate the way the should when you orginally bought them. Hmmmm or do you just sit back and watch quietly and hope the thread just goes away? That is what I was going to do until I saw the work "bashing" when there was no bashing to be found. Dang I just went and did it didn't I. Went and stuck my foot in my mouth and told the world that I too am a closet Mossberg hater. Sorry I just couldn't bite my tongue(hold my fingers back any longer). The devil made me do it, dang it! grrrrrrrrrrr

bird

PS... The only gun that I can honestly say in my own opinion that was worth a darn that Mossberg made what the 500. Even then you would have to do certain things to them depending on the gun to get them to pump smoothly and what not. Best deer slug gun I ever had was a Mossberg 500 20 gauge. Man that thing was as accurate as any high dollar hunting rifle. I also have a Mossberg 500 12ga. "Riot Gun" sitting loaded beside my bed. Consider it my home proctection device and sometimes the best darn "bunny gun" you will ever see. But then I also have owned 3 different Mossjunk 835's and the biggest piece of junk of them all was the infamous 9200 Auto. I practically gave that gun away just to get it out of my gun case. Now that right there was the Yugo of the gun world. But again like they always say.... You get what you pay for. Now that wasn't bashing. That was just plain honesty!

Have a nice day.
Bird...Not saying that Mossberg hasnt thrown its fair share of junkers out there. I know what you mean about the 9200's....AWFUL!! However in the case of the Silver Reserve my experiences has been positive and those that arent giving it a chance I think are missing out. Justin shot my 12 gauge before he got his CZ and I believe he liked it. However he also liked the CZ at the time...He chose the CZ. Both guns shot great, for us, and we are defiantly putting the shells through them.

I guess time and alot of shells through the gun will tell how it holds up for me.

"If it Flies, it Dies!"
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 am

I've got a pair of 9200 and have used them for years without a hair of problem. Sounds like I might have gotten the only two good ones Mossberg ever made :D