What gun dog breed do you currently own and why?

What gun dog breed do you currently own and why?

German Shorthair Pointer
30%
English/Llewelin Setter
11%
Brittany
14%
Vizsla
4%
English Pointer
11%
Weimaraner
3%
German Wirehair/Drahthaar
6%
Griffon
1%
German Longhair
0%
Gordon Setter
1%
Munsterlander
2%
Labrador
7%
Chesapeake
1%
Golden Retriever
1%
Other
8%

Total votes: 674

vols fan

Re: What gun dog breed do you currently own and why?

Post by vols fan » Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 pm

I OWN 3 GSP BUT A GOOD DOG IS JUST THAT . I HUNT QUAIL ,PHEASANT AND GROUSE. THEY DO A GOOD JOB ON ALL

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 pm

English Pointer, because I mostly hunt Quail and Pheasants. And if there are enough quail, I don't mind not having pheasants. Plus my best friend runs pointers as well, and I wanted the same thing.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon May 26, 2008 8:36 am

GSP'S for sure. You can never have too many!! 8) 8) I like to have a little dog power when we go to S. Dakota.
This scene at Cabela's in Mitchell caused some people to stop and look!! I think they were trying to figure out how we got all of those dogs in the back of that truck! ImageImage

Doug

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 am

Sorry everyone but, we are talking about gundogs here.
I chose Brittanys because of their hunting ability. Sure, trials are fun but, I have seen too many trial dogs that make hunting unworthwhile. Too many big running dogs refuse to hunt within gun range. My Britts know when I am on a horse and when I am walking.
Britts are easy to work with and really get the job done. They work in all types of cover and hunting landscapes. They anticipate their owner's needs in the home and the field. They are not overly agressive or territorial. And lets face it, they are, as my wife puts it, just better looing than the other gundogs. Proof of the good looking part is seen in the following story. My 14 year old son wanted to get the attention of a certain girl done the road so he took our male Britt for a walk past her house. His friend saw him walking by and decided to join his with his gsp. When they were passing the girl's house, they noticed that she was outside talking to several of her girlfiends. They all came over and started petting our Britt and ignored the gsp. Three girls focusing on one dogs and his owner. Now, those are odds any boy can live with.
As for hunting ability, I spend every Friday during Chuckar season somewhere along the Pony Express road in the west desert of Utah. Grouse season I do Box Elder county. Pheasant season is in Wyoming or the Dakota's. Let me know if you'd care to try your luck. 8)

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Elroy's Bandit wrote:GSP- All around best dogs! Accept no substitute!!! Best field dog in the world, and they are awesome at home with the family. They have great personalities and most enjoyable to hang with away from the field. One of the only breeds that can go from hunting to trialing, then home....with a different personality for each. To not love the gsp, is to never had the pleasure of owning 2. :)
After my 1st gsp, the 2nd was a no brainer. I can't wait for number 3 in the fall. It should be entertaining watching all 3 mixing it up. :D
MVC-007S.JPG
Well... that sounds great but can they retrieve in cold water?
My Large Munsterlander can do all that and handle cold water.
I think my pup has what it takes for the "all round" monicure.
:wink: :lol:
Ask WhikeyJar I think he'll agree.
D.
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Dennmoor, I own a 9 year old GSP, out of pure HOF breeding, linebred Greif, have duck hunted him in five states, dove hunted in 4, quail hunted in 7, chickens, sharpies, pheasants, he's a FC and AFC, but has retrieved somewhere around 200 ducks and geese, including mid winter ponds and lakes in Missouri and Kansas, retrieved a downed pheasant, off the top of a frozen pond in Troy, Kansas in January or February when he was just over a year. Broke the ice getting there, had to chase the pheasant across the ice, had to swim several times, then back on frozen ice. Yep, a good GSP will do a little water work.

Only reason I own shorthairs...uncle had 30 pointers, granddad had ONE GSP. 1960, trial lineage, John Merrell bred, dog could outhunt any of the EPs. Cal was a great dog. First hunting dog I had. Will never own anything but a shorthair.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:42 pm

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:Dennmoor, I own a 9 year old GSP, out of pure HOF breeding, linebred Greif, have duck hunted him in five states, dove hunted in 4, quail hunted in 7, chickens, sharpies, pheasants, he's a FC and AFC, but has retrieved somewhere around 200 ducks and geese, including mid winter ponds and lakes in Missouri and Kansas, retrieved a downed pheasant, off the top of a frozen pond in Troy, Kansas in January or February when he was just over a year. Broke the ice getting there, had to chase the pheasant across the ice, had to swim several times, then back on frozen ice. Yep, a good GSP will do a little water work.

Only reason I own shorthairs...uncle had 30 pointers, granddad had ONE GSP. 1960, trial lineage, John Merrell bred, dog could outhunt any of the EPs. Cal was a great dog. First hunting dog I had. Will never own anything but a shorthair.
Good for you (and your dog)!!
Just give the Munsterlanders a chance to prove themselves, they have all the natural abilities and attributes
to be right up there with the best of the GSPs.

They are shirtail relatives after all!

Time will tell. :)
D.

Image Image Image

Englishsetterhunter

Post by Englishsetterhunter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:23 pm

i own a setter and all my dogs have always been setters.. all dogs with the right genetics have the potential to be great hunting dogs but theirs something about a setter that just takes ure breath away ive seen pointers and thier hammerheads when it comes to training.... with setters you dont need a heavy hand and they can be a close ranging bird dog or range as far as a pointer. thier also beautiful and have excellent hunting drive and great skills and are amazing amazing field trial dogs ie grouse ridge english setters. and are just the all around brreed for me yeah i dont know why everyone on here has a gsp??? all my setters have turned into great hunting dogs and idk thier just amazing especially when pointing or backing or even retrieving heck thier great at everything

Englishsetterhunter

Post by Englishsetterhunter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Sorry everyone but, we are talking about gundogs here.
I chose Brittanys because of their hunting ability. Sure, trials are fun but, I have seen too many trial dogs that make hunting unworthwhile. Too many big running dogs refuse to hunt within gun range. My Britts know when I am on a horse and when I am walking.

same thing with my setter and my setter comes from a line of field champions from horse back trials to trials where the handler actuallly shoots the bird pretty much like the Bird dog challenge typa trials and the line of settters she comes from are worked on every type of game bird. they hunt grouse prarie chicken sharptails pheasant quail woodcock huns you name it they point and retrieve IT (

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 pm

I get steamed every time I see this thread at the top again. :evil:
Why? Cuz I was in such a big da** hurry, and didn't even think Large Munsterlander would be one of the choices so I clicked "other". :oops:
And I really wish I had put one up for the LM's.
Denn

Image Image Image

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 am

Dennmor,

I don't know if it can be done but you could send Grant a private message and see if he can change your vote for you. There must be at least three or four Musterlander owners that are active on this site but the poll has zero votes registered.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:17 pm

BigShooter wrote:Dennmor,

I don't know if it can be done but you could send Grant a private message and see if he can change your vote for you. There must be at least three or four Musterlander owners that are active on this site but the poll has zero votes registered.

Mark
Good idea!
I'll see if he can help. :)
Denn

Image Image Image

GSP_girl

Post by GSP_girl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:24 am

GSP
Last edited by GSP_girl on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerrimanBDB

Post by HerrimanBDB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Braque du Bourbonnais, because people do not know how to pronounce it :D Here is a blog about my pup.

http://mygundog.wordpress.com/

demi

Post by demi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Large Munsterlander. It's more fun to hunt behind a pretty dog :D

She's got it all, awesome in the field, water and home. NAVHDA UT Prize I, VHDF AHAE 177 Points. Loves nothing more than to be out hunting pheasants here in South Dakota. :lol:

Hi Dennmore--I made sure I got my vote in right spot!

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 pm

demi wrote:Large Munsterlander. It's more fun to hunt behind a pretty dog :D

She's got it all, awesome in the field, water and home. NAVHDA UT Prize I, VHDF AHAE 177 Points. Loves nothing more than to be out hunting pheasants here in South Dakota. :lol:

Hi Dennmore--I made sure I got my vote in right spot!

That's what I'm talkin' about! :P
And a real beauty too. :D
dennmor

Image Image Image

Loke

Post by Loke » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:46 pm

You've got to be kidding. More Munsterlanders than Chessies. Who would have ever thought that.
Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi guy's & gal's,
Put me down for eight pointers (Elhew). Because it does not cost any more to feed the very best.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm

The Grey Ghost, because I've met alot of people with GREAT Pointers, Setters, Britts, GSP, etc. But not a weimys, There out there, I might have one now, but I'll have alot more, GREAT DOGS. All that hard work does pay off.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Got to have the hair, a Llewellin.

Dіck

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:13 am

GSP-1st bird dog

Michelle and Piper

Post by Michelle and Piper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 am

I chose a Springer because she's tiny and swims like crazy.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 am

GSP for personality and versatility....

byrsta

Post by byrsta » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I own a Vizsal for one simple reason, great companion/family dog first, great hunter second. I have kids and also don't believe in making my dog live a kennel, especially 365...Vizsla's are incredible family pets, put'em in the field and they flip that switch to hunter. Haven't been around a Vizsla yet who isn't more athletic in the field and good enough bird dog for me to fill my daily limit than typical/traditional bird dog's. My last one who just passed last week at only 7yrs old was not only great with birds (witnessed him snag a quail 5 feet in air), but also found rabbit for me.

Here's my new pup I just got last night:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IANative

Post by IANative » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:57 pm

OK, I understand that being a Boykin owner I'm most likely going to have to vote "Other" on most polls such as this. But why no selection for Springers or Cockers or AWS? Methinks there's some serious blackballing of us flusher owners here.

I think we need a separate subforum here for flusher discussions. Call it "The Toilet," if you will, but those of us who prefer to flush will still use it!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:32 am

I put the poll together. Even though the log of recognized breeds that can be used as gun dogs is long, it was pinched off and I put a lid on it. My grandfather's last dog was a cocker. Several relatives own, breed and hunt with springers. Although I washed my hands after using flushers, black-balling of flushers in the poll was unintended.

Although Sir John Harrington is credited with coming up with the idea of the flushing toilet, Thomas Crapper, the plumber, substantially improved the function of the water closet. Lots of terms to chose from for your new thread. Hopefully you will find a few other participants flushed with excitement for your new thread!

Big Shooter
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

IANative

Post by IANative » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:16 am

I wonder what Thomas Crapper thinks of Joe the Plumber?

Big Shooter, rest assured, my accusation of blackballing was issued in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I sent a similar note to a moderator for a Toilet sub-forum.

dug1976

Post by dug1976 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:33 am

I have a 10 month old EP. love to watch her lock up. She is a pain in the house. That may be becuase she is still a puppy. I also have a 3 yr. old rescue lab. He will lock up on birds and is a good retriever. Doesnt like water over his head. I don't know why. He is the best dog inside. Except for shedding all over the place.

raptor5618

Post by raptor5618 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:13 am

wirehaired V. Ihave hunted with lots of GSP and they are incredible birg getting dogs, I had a GWP and it was very good but not quite the nose nor hunting speed of the GSP but more like what I prefered. the Personality was much better I thought. Now the Wirehared V has not been hunting but shows signs it will be a very driven hunter, we will see. But its personality and smarts is like nothing I have ever seen and I have had many dogs. She has learned things that I never intentially taught and I have to be very careful not to do something that cause some confusion in her. I know that is standard with any dog but this dog wants to please or comply so much even some things I have done had results I never antisipated.

But if you want a dog that is very much a people dog this breed in my limited experience is the ticket.

ceadmin

Post by ceadmin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:57 am

Brit, because when I researched for my first dog, the description matched what we were looking for: a great versatile hunting dog, great hunting from grouse to quail to pheasant, awesome family dog, great disposition, medium size dog and can be groomed/trimmed easily.
Molon Labe!

gspguy

Post by gspguy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:12 am

GSP. Because I like 'em!!!
They're all broke 'til they break.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Lab. I wanted a GSP or Weim and my wife wanted a golden. To break our stalemate we decided on a yellow lab.

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Didn't really care. I wanted something that would teach me the in and out of training and bird dog hunting , I have that in a GWP. Now im moving on to GSPs because of the availability, trainability, and great breeding going on.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:50 pm

I currently own a lab and will be getting an english setter this month. I bought the lab because I grew up with retrievers (mostly chessies) and that is all I really knew. I considered a brittany, but I chose the lab because of my location and lifestyle. I lived in a new residential neighborhood with lots of kids and worked a full time job. I know brittanies are generally friendly, but they need a more exerise and with my work schedule at the time I decided a lab would be better.

After raising the dog for a year and spending lots of time with my parents brittanies I realized I could handle a more active dog with where I was living and I could also manage my lifestyle to meet the needs of a highly active breed. I became hooked on watching a pointing dog cover the ground and hold birds and made the decision that my next dog will be from a pointing breed. I decided to wait until the lab got older because I wanted to space the dogs in age and I figured I really wanted to take my time and decide which breed was right for me. After doing a lot of reading, talking to many people, and attending some trials I decided that an english setter is that breed.

I spent 2 years searching out the type of dog I wanted. In the end I decided a dog that could handle ruffed grouse hunting and compete in cover dog trials is what I wanted. I found the right breeding and jumped in with both feet. Soon I'll find out just how deep the water really is. :o

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm

I have the best of both worlds IMO. I have brittanys and my brother who I hunt with every week of the season has GSPs. Makes for very good hunts.

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:05 pm

The DD is for me. I've had shorthairs and there are just too many of them now. Too many folks trying to be breeders and no real check and balance on the gene pool. Like the Vizsla, although not as tough as I want. Got my first DD and knew I had found the breed for me.

POINTERMAN9

Post by POINTERMAN9 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:29 am

I JUST LIKE THE TRADITION OF THE ENGLISH POINTER. SLICK HAIR, LOTS OF RUN, AND HARD HEADED JUST LIKE THEIR OWNER. I ALSO LIKE THE FULL LENGTH TAIL.

nlgordaz

Post by nlgordaz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:18 pm

No question that the Pointers are the best hunting dogs.

They are the only three breeds that excel at pointing, retrieving and water work.

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 am

I have a Labrador because its my first gun dog and planning to get a GSP in the near future. I also went for a chocolate lab because i heard a rumor that they are harder to train. Not that i think its true but i love a challenge!!!!

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Brittany, First gun dog I have ever own, amazing hunting dog to watch and a lot of entertainment

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:29 am

DD because of the breeding program and I like duck hunting as well as upland.

Pointer because I needed heat tolerance in AZ and I wanted a pure quail dog.

seadog

Post by seadog » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 am

DD because they are more to my style of hunting and the coat is more suited to our climate .

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:58 pm

gotta go with the pointing lab. waterfowl hunt the morning and upland hunt the afternoon with the same dog. plus they fetch a good beer by the fire and keep your feet warm in the house.

wirehog

Post by wirehog » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:17 am

Yellow Lab because they a great with my grandkids, wonderful and loyal companions, fit my hunting style, I could not find any Chessies in So. Cal and because my wife loves them. I grew up with GSP's and Springers. I did not feel the GSP's would be a good dog around my grandkids. A Chessie was my first dog. It definitely had pure raw instinct. But for now, my Lab suites the bill till I am able to spend more time in the field. My wife got her for me to be a companion for when I have cervical spinal surgery (hopefully soon) and to be my future hunting friend.
Jim

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost...
Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill...
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish...
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world...
--J.R.R. Tolkien--

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:04 pm

I've had an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. The operation went just fine. Good luck with your procedure!
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

wirehog

Post by wirehog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:45 am

Thank BigShooter

It's a prior job injury and is taking forever to jump through the WC hoops. I have one final doctor to approve it and I can get out of this misery. Glad to hear yours turned out well. Here's hoping for success with mine too.
Jim

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost...
Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill...
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish...
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world...
--J.R.R. Tolkien--

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:37 am

American Water Spaniel, just love the versatility and their nature.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:08 am

I have an english setter and 2 english pointers and when my setter passes I will continue to probably have ep's the rest of my life. I have owned and trained a lab, a couple of weims, a springer, and an irish setter on top of the dogs I own now. The ep's are by far the easiest to train and seem to just pick up everything naturally, easily, and very early. It makes me look like a great trainer even though I am not. They handle punishment better than most dogs and bounce back from it very well and seem to learn from it rather than sulking. They are extremely eager to please and are just downright gorgeous both while in motion and on point. To me they just seem "right", like the dog I have been searching for while owning other breeds if that makes sense to anyone. I have hunted over some really well trained field and trial GSP's that were nice but I just love the EP.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 pm

GSP. Cuz mama finally said yes.

perezalf

Post by perezalf » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 pm

The reason I got a lab is because they are very obedient and very loyal dogs. They like to work (And work hard) to please their master.