Favorite Game Bird

What is your favorite Game Bird to hunt?

Ruffed Grouse
21%
Bobwhite Quail
26%
Ring-Neck Pheasant
35%
Chuckar Partridge
8%
Other
11%

Total votes: 418

GrouseHunter22

Favorite Game Bird

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Sun May 23, 2004 1:36 pm

What is your favorite Game Bird to hunt? If you choose other, tell what and why.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sun May 23, 2004 3:54 pm

I vote for pheasants..........

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun May 23, 2004 7:31 pm

I chose quail, just because I'm in GA, but I would like to venture outside GA this year at least once to hunt pheasant.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun May 23, 2004 9:53 pm

The quail hunting on my grandfather's farm is awesome. Pheasants are sparse in southern Illinois, but now that I'm residing in the central to northern part, I do see a few alongside the backroads now. Maybe if I can talk to a few farmers around here I can get permission to hunt some phesants.... :D

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Sun May 23, 2004 10:59 pm

We choose pheasants also! Just made some pheasant in cream tonight for supper, mmmm good!

raven

Post by raven » Mon May 24, 2004 6:38 am

I like grouse because except for game farms thats the only upland bird them and woodcock

tfbirddog2

Favorite game bird

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:58 pm

I love quail hunting! I live in pheasant country so to getting to hunt quail is hard. But, when I was a kid I got to all the time.

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:19 pm

I know we should have more than 13 votes. Lets see some more voter turnout.

Bird Dog 67

GROUSE!!!

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:01 pm

I chose grouse because those no good rotten flyin' between tree pine tree perchin' blasted birds get the best of me the majority of time....................................and I love em for it. The most challenging bird, (around here) that I can chase. Also a true test for my Weim Dusty.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:21 pm

I voted for pheasants. We have a lot of rice and sugar beets field here and when I started hunting that's where we hunted. But now I hunt at a private preserve.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Wa Chukar Hunter

chukars, chukars, chukars,

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:59 pm

Everything else is just a bird :D

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:00 pm

I indicated Pheasant, but if it flys I will hunt it!

ward myers

I VOTED QUAIL

Post by ward myers » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:47 pm

just because only species to hunt other than occasional woodcock
here in florida. anyone intersted in some quail hunting , contact me
ill put you on some birds. im really ready for season to start this year.
i bought a broke GSP last month

sdgord

birds

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:43 pm

Our favorite birds to hunt are sharptails and prarie chickens. At least they have the decency to hold still for pointing dog. Them no good track star. ditch parrots. Hard to keep a gun dog broke on those foreign imports.SDGORD

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:15 am

I vote quail, tough flying little things and they offer a surprise even when you are expecting them to get up.

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:43 pm

I vote pheasants but I also love to hunt quail they both are great and always scare the crap outa me when they get up!

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Voted for quail because it's hard to beat the feel of a big covey flushing around you. At times it's almost sensory over load with birds flying in all directions & not sure which to shoot.

okiebones

Post by okiebones » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:05 pm

It's hard to beat a fat,late season mallard !! of course,if we're talking upland, I tear the roads up looking for pheasants.

birddog

Post by birddog » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:04 pm

The pheasant has my nod with the Ruff Grouse a close second.
We don't have quail around here but I was invited to hunt them in upper Texas. The OLN network filmed the hunt. Yes Folks, my dogs have been seen on National TV. What a thrill and honor. Never having hunted quail before that show I did not realize what fun quail hunting is. Wish we had them to hunt here and I might move them to # 1.
Janet

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:17 am

I vote for any thing my dog can point and I can kill on the wing. If it flies it dies. My GWP was pointing rabbits in NODAK last fall so it doesn't have to fly. If it runs it must die.

birddog

Post by birddog » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:00 am

Not me! If I don't eat it, I don't kill it.
Janet

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:57 am

Good call Janet.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Ya'll don't eat rabbits. Man I love them. I just found it strange the first time Gunner went on point and a rabbit took off. Thats multi tasking. You know she has to be a female because males can't multi task. ( as per my wife ). :D

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 pm

Fur drive and bird drive are one in the same. If your dog see's the neighbors cat when your taking them for a walk around the neighborhood. Don't say, "leave it".

APRock

Post by APRock » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:32 am

gundogguru'

My dog won't point bunnies. It's wierd. If a rooster or covey of huns or the rare quail will hold, he locks up like a statue, and (usually) won't move till I release him or shoot. If he smells a rabbit he is on it like stink on you know what! He has to find it, root around in the grass or the brush pile till that thing comes out running so he can get right on it's a$$, tongueing the whole time, till I stop him so I can take a shot. Does the same with squirrels.

We winged a few pheasants last season that he chased down for quite a ways through corn fields and CRP with no yipping or tongueing (as the call it). Only makes noise on the furrred creatures. I haven't figured out the why of that yet.

doublea

Post by doublea » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Pheasants are fun and so are Chuckar, Quail and Sharptails....but Huns now theres a real good time!!! A covy bird that's twice the size of a Quail and just a darn fast!!

goddog

Post by goddog » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:01 pm

Quail, huns, pheasants, shapie in that order for their aptitude to hold for the pointing dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:03 pm

I have to say Huns, Sharptail, then quail.....
brenda

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:23 am

Sharptails on the Dakota prairie, before the snow falls. They can't be beat. Isn't it a good thing we all don't like the same bird...

Dave Gowdey

Gambel's Quail

Post by Dave Gowdey » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:48 pm

The rest are minor league. Gambel's quail are the pros. Any dog that can handle Gambel's quail can handle any other bird. Not that many can. :wink:

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:13 pm

Anyone else noting regional preferences? :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

PAHunter

Post by PAHunter » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:49 pm

Grouse - Pa state bird! Tons of Fun!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:39 pm

I put pheasant. Nothing funner than running one of them down.

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:49 pm

ryan when you are done with school and have that new GSP you are planning on and would like to travel somewhere to hunt give me a hollar cause when I put you in chukar country and they leave you in shame :evil: you will think those running pesant are a walk in the park :D :wink:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:02 pm

I got chukar 30 min from me. I cannot comment on them yet because I havent hunted them yet. If u wanna come here I will show you what it is like to put up 4 different species of birds in 1 field all wild game.
Besides look at the polls i think pheasant is number 2 way above chukar.

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:24 pm

dont know what the terain is like there but here when chasing chukar you will likley ascend and descend 12,000 +/- ft in one day and you can easily where out a $200 pair of boots in a season!

chukar is what we have the largest numbers of. putting up 4 species in one field thats great but putting up 3 in one day is good enough for me. limits on all (6 chukar, 6 huns, 10 quail). I havent got those limits yet but a good friend has. he has just been trying to limit out on chukar in one jump. he came close this year with 5. then he worries about the rest 8)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:27 pm

We got em here on the prairie. Dont know what the terrain is like but apparently they are South of Coaldale. I plan on lookinf when the weather getts better. Jobird u in on this after our pheasant hunt.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:25 am

ourhunters wrote:We choose pheasants also! Just made some pheasant in cream tonight for supper, mmmm good!

Would love to see that recipe!!!!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:21 am

We like it in stir fry.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Woodcock, then whatever else is second for me.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

Wa Chukar Hunter

I like to hunt em all

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 am

My preference lately has been for chukar/huns - but I haven't hunted them much due to being in TX the last two winters.

surf n' turf

Post by surf n' turf » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:05 am

far and away it has to be chukars, they are a covey bird which I like the most and the country is rugged and beautiful. A brace of chukars is wondeful thing considering how hard they are to earn. Desert quail come in a close second with mearns being my favorite bird. I just wish I could get away to hunt them more often than once a year.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:08 am

Never met a Gamebird that I didn't like or enjoy the challenge, but to me, everything other than a Ruffed Grouse is just a Gamebird! :P I would think that Chukars in their native lands would be pretty cool, they seem to inhabit lands that pose as much of a challenge as those places Ol' King Ruff lives. If the land you hunt doesn't beat you, then the bird most often will! From the many pix I've seen of "true" Chukar habitat, if you were to cover those areas with Grapevine, Greenbriar, young growth and just general tangles, you would be hunting the same areas where my best Grouse hunting is found in Appalachia!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

surf n' turf

Post by surf n' turf » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:19 pm

Bruce, sorry to not have gotten back with you about those keys, things have been a circus around here, hence my lack of posting. hope everything worked out in the end :oops: I know what you mean about grouse, I spent my childhood and teenage years chasing old ruff in the hills of western maryland and pennsylvania. they pose their challenges as you mentioned and chukars........well, lets just say I could do with out the 90 degree drop off's and terrible rocks that tear up dogs feet. but I guess that is what i love about it. minus my dogs feet.

Konza Vadasz

favorite game bird

Post by Konza Vadasz » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am

To hunt ... here in Central KS, pheasant is good hunting & what we find most often. Have to travel further for quail, but those are wonderful fun too.
We've hunted chukar in northern NV--our friends there say the first time it's for fun, after that it's for revenge!! :lol:

I have to say that chukar is absolutely my favorite to cook & eat--it beats everything hands down! Chukar tetrazini, OMG, talk about delicious!

Overall, the chukar is my favorite game bird -- non native here in KS, so I try to raise some every year to have on hand for training (and eating.)

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 am

Living in one of the best pheasant states I voted pheasant, but I do love a good quail hunt also.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:37 pm

I'd have to say Grouse and woodcock. I love the challenge of shooting through trees and finding a shot...

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:16 am

Fred, that is a spectacular picture of a gray phase. And I am going to guess it was a fall bird. We see them strutting in the fall some.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:43 am

Having relatives farming in Iowa I was introduced to pheasnat hunting there in the late 70's. Remember some great hunting back then. Since then I've continued to hunt pheasants in Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North & South Dakota.

A close second is sharptails. Just find them a neat bird to hunt and I think I might like eating them better than pheasant.

Emptypair

Post by Emptypair » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:27 pm

I'm all for the grouse! They test both the man and the dog...what more could you ask for :)
Put some ground under the dogs...