Dog Food Prices / per pound

MikeB

Dog Food Prices / per pound

Post by MikeB » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Here in So. California (north Los Angeles county) I went to my local Petco. I never buy anything there so I was blown away with the prices they get for dog food today. WOW!!

I thought I would share what I found.

Pro Plan Performance 30/20 is $37.99 for 37.5 lbs. or $1.01 lb.
Pro Plan adult Chicken/rice is $32.99 for 37.5 lbs. or $0.88 lb.

Eukanuba Performance now comes in 2 different formulas. Didn't know that, did you?

Adult Performance 28/18 and Sporting Performance 30/20 both were a whopping $49.99 for 40 lbs. That's $1.25 per pound before adding sales tax. $1.35 a pound after adding sales tax. WOW!!

Eukanuba 40 lbs. Adult large breed $43.99 / $1.10 lb.
Large breed puppy $46.99 / 1.18 a lb.

Now here is another whopper.... Euk's 3 different Breed Specific formulas for German Shepherd, Boxer, Labrador all 36 lbs bags for $44.99 or a $1.25 per lb.

Oh... It does pay to use your Petco Pal's card for additional savings.

So when you talk price for dog food... Price is relative to where in the USA you live. Income, housing prices, dog training, dog supplies etc. It's all about location, location, location. :)

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:49 pm

We had a Petco around here. It just closed recently. Their prices are ridiculous. I'm surprised they stayed open as long as they did. We have a store called Pet Supplies Plus that has some good prices when they run sales. I buy my food from a feed store, not as much overhead.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:44 pm

No doubt prices are higher in Cal.. I go to an old drive-thru feedstore. I pay less than 40 cents a pound for Diamond Premium. Their D. Performance is close to 60 cents a pound, and I would say that performance is as good as Pro-Plan.
big steve

volraider

Post by volraider » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Steve I have had good luck with diamond and even with their problems a while back I still feed it. I fed performance up until the scare and I swapped to pro plan performance until the dust settled at Diamond. There is a difference between the two. The pro plan made for better stools and coats and I could feed less to maintain weight. I'm now feeding the Extreme Athelete and I'm pretty happy with the results. Extreme Athelete is a whole lot closer to the Pro Plan than anything I have tried. I liked Exceed real well but the coats were not very good. That's been my experience.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:47 pm

I've not fed anything but Premium for several years. I was basing my opinion on ifo on bags. I know the comparative value is how it works for you.
big steve

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:55 am

Its pretty rediculous what they charge for pets foods. Its gettin like that everywhere, not just in CA. I have a feeling its only going to get worse & worse (obviously)

Its crazy to pay $1 a pound and more for a pound of food. But what can ya do.
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:09 am

What do you pay for breakfast cereal? Way more thanthat. And what are people paying for bottled water? And most of that comes right out of the tap. Do any of you notice the similarities of what people think about water and dog food? Most people who started buying bottled just couldn't drink tap water. Don't know what happened to them when or if they have found out it is right out of the tap.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:41 am

I can get ground deer meat processed for 50 cents a pound. Pure, lean protein. Only trouble is having to cook it up, so I usually go ahead and cook 4-5 lbs at a time. I supplement it in my feed at certain times of the year. And of course the dogs love it.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:24 pm

My feedstore is not raising prices til tommorrow. I got a 55 lb bag of Diamond Premium for about 19, so with the free 5 lbs, it figures about 35-36 cents a lb.. They are going up to about 44 cents a lb..
big steve

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 pm

MSC SMOKE wrote:I can get ground deer meat processed for 50 cents a pound. Pure, lean protein. Only trouble is having to cook it up, so I usually go ahead and cook 4-5 lbs at a time. I supplement it in my feed at certain times of the year. And of course the dogs love it.
Why do you cook it?
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:13 pm

That is the same question I am wondering the answer to?!??! I feed half dry and half beef or deer or chicken. Whatever is readily available at the time. The most that I do is cut it into about 3/4" chunks so they dont try inhaling it all in one bite. I get mine in 5- 10 lb slabs so I kind of have to cut it! :wink: :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine