Which Flea/Tick control?

splucinski

Which Flea/Tick control?

Post by splucinski » Tue May 13, 2008 6:31 pm

I found the first tick on my GSP the other day and that was just from walking in the park. I've always used Frontline, but are there any better products out there now?

stinkbelly

Re: Which Flea/Tick control?

Post by stinkbelly » Wed May 14, 2008 8:45 am

I came here to ask the same question. Which is the best Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, or something else? I have always used Advantage. I have never had a problem with fleas, but I have had a couple of ticks on her while using Advanage. My vet recommended Advantix if I was having a tick problem.

From what I read on the net, Frontline will kill fleas and ticks within a day or two. Advantage will kill fleas within a day or two, it will not work on ticks. Advantix will kill and repell fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. From what I have read, advantix is the best, but I don't know anyone who has used it.

Bigsur009

Post by Bigsur009 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:58 am

I've been using Promeris, which is pretty new to the market. It's waterproof and kills fleas/ticks just like the rest. It's got amitraz in it, so it also kills any demodex mites that might be around as well. So far, haven't found a single tick and only one dead flea on my dog since I started using it a couple of months ago.

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

I've been using k9 advantix for years now. I have not seen a flea on the dogs since I started using it even when they have been around dogs I know have fleas. The ticks this year have been bad but I have not had any get attached to the dogs. In years past I have not had any problems with ticks. For the first couple weeks I have seen the misquito protection in action. It doesn't usually last the full month though.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 pm

I have used Frontline Plus for a few years, no fleas, and ocassionally a tick if I've had the dogs in real thick cover. This year I decided to try K9 Advantix, there have been no fleas or ticks. My two dogs have been scratching for a few days after the application of K9 Advantix. I never had the scratching problem with Frontline plus. Both work very well.