Lab seizure

Nailz5

Lab seizure

Post by Nailz5 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:37 pm

I have a 3 year-old yellow lab. He is a very good upland hunting dog. However, lately after we've been hunting for approximately 2 to 3 hours he has been shutting down. He goes through something that makes him twitch as he works through the brush, and eventually he stops. Its as if he is very sensitive to anything hitting him in the face. Each time this happens I stop hunting him immediately, but sometimes its hard to get him back to the truck.

The last time this happened was very scary though. We had been hunting for about 2 1/2 hours and I could sense he was about to have another spell. So we started making our way back to the truck. About a 1/4 mile away he began to twitch again as he worked through the brush. So I moved him into a clear spot as we walked slowly to the truck. This time he stopped and broke into a violent seizure. It was scary! He did have 3 seizures 1day about 3 years ago, but none since. I am thinking this may be some sort of blood sugar issue. I plan on taking him to the vet asap. But, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of something like this.

Thanks.

cmmkessler

Re: Lab seizure

Post by cmmkessler » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:17 am

I have a 1.5 yr YLM and he has had seizures before too. The vet attributed it to him eating Lysol 4-n-1 cleaner. He had gotten into some old rags that I had used while cleaning and then developed the seizures. The seizures was one of the side affects of being poisoned and was confirmed by looking up the product on the animal poison control website. They have since subsided but I was at the emergency last night due him having a bladder infection and I was describing his past issues and the vet said that he had a lab and so did his assistant and both of them have seizures too. I guess it is common more in labs and it is just something that they live with. I know there is medication that they can take to try and control the seizures. I know that what I have said isn't too much help but at least you know that it is somewhat common but your vet can do tests in order to diagnose completely. Good luck!

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Might also have him tested for EIC. Sometimes it can mimic a seizure. Other than that, see what the vet says.

Carla

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm

EIC in layman's terms would be?

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 am

Sorry, Excercise Induced Collapse. In mild forms it can sometimes mimic seizures. It can progress to cardiac arrest and death after light to moderate excercise and definitely after heavy excercise. It is common in labs and a few other breeds. I am not saying that this is what your dog has but I would check it out just to be sure. We just had a friend lose her dog to EIC.

Carla