cracked pads need help please!!!

seuss79

cracked pads need help please!!!

Post by seuss79 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:02 pm

Louie has, I would consider severely cracked pads. Not to the point of bleeding or getting sore but very deep and seems like calouses forming.

A little background to the problem I first noticed they started cracking back in Sept. In the beginning of October I took him to the vet for a lymes shot and brought this up to the vet. He was puzzled and gave me the same advice I had come up with.
Basically keep an eye on it for a couple of months and see if it gets any better because I was already applying lotion for dogs with different vitamins specifically for dogs feet. I changed floor cleaners etc., all the common sense stuff, and still no better.
The pads on all 4 feet are cracking. Just recently I noticed the skin, toe, where the dew claws were are beginning to get rough just as the feet did at first. Because of this I am convinced this is not an irritation caused by something on the floor.
The calouses that are forming get long enough I clip them to avoid him snagging them on the carpet.
I feed him Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice so I think he is getting the nutrition he needs.
There is no history of any condition like this in his bloodline.
Also the only hard surfaces he sees regularly is the tiled floor in the kitchen and bathroom.
He doesn't seem to be bothered by this at all but I am.
Below ar a few pics to show the condition.
I will be making an appointment with the vet after new years so hopefully he can come up with a cause.

If anyone has experienced anything like this or knows anything about this I would be very thankful for any light you can shed on this
Thankyou in advance.
IMG_4629.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

seuss79

Re: cracked pads need help please!!!

Post by seuss79 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 pm

Almost forgot to mention Louie is only 9 months old and a Brittany. Just trying to get every possible detail out there.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:06 pm

This is very common.
People uses a variety of things- tuff cote, etc.
If you walk on salty sidewalks rinse the pads when you get home.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Try applying Bag Balm to see if you can clear it up.

kstitz

Post by kstitz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:43 pm

I had the same problem with my GSP. I bought a product called Protecta Pad by Tomlyn Products. I applied it every night for about 2 weeks and it worked great. I am now applying it a couple times a week. This product seems to be a very effective moisturizer without the harmful and toxic smelling products that I have seen offered from gun dog suppliers.

Kelly

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Just a few suggestions:

1. If he is on carpet all the time his natural oils may be absorbed by the carpet and over-drying the pads. You may try taking him off the carpet.

2. What about putting some balm on them and using dog boots for a few hours a couple times a day to allow the moisture to be absorbed before being "walked" into the carpet?

Hope you get it figured out!

Nitrex

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Well it seems the majority thinks this is common and can be solved myself. So I'll give it a couple of more weeks and try the protecta pad stuff with the dog boots on and see what happens.

I never really thought about carpet drying the pads. I've considered the dog boots before but now I am going to give this a try before I spend extra money at the vet for blood tests and etc. if it is not needed. If it doesn't get any better then he will go to the vet.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me with this situation.