Mass on young dog

gar-dog

Mass on young dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:54 pm

My 15 month-old brittany has two masses on her ribcage. They are on a line with the farthest nipple from her groin, but up the side about an inch (not towards her midline). I understand that Brittanys are especially susceptible to mammary cancer, but it is extremely rare for any dog under 2 years old. One mass is about the size of a fifty cent piece and the other right near it is about the size of a nickel. They appear to be irregular in size. They feel fleshy and you can move them around a bit. They don't seem to hurt her when handled. She is petted all the time and I just noticed them now. She seems fine. Any ideas what these could be in such a young dog? I am worried.
Thanks,
Gary

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Mass on young dog

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Could be cysts too. I wouldn't immediately think cancer. Could be many things. Get to the vet and put your mind at ease. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:57 pm

fleshy soft and move easily under the skin she is a bit young but one thing that comes to mind if it is that is a fatty type tumor
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:56 am

Get your dog to a vet. We had a dog that had a mass cell tumor on his side when he was less than two. It could be nothing, but why take the chance?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 pm

The needle biopsy was inconclusive, so they suggested wait a month and observe, and then do a regular biopsy. Well, about two days later they were gone! So who knows.... Perhaps she had a little bruise or thorn from hunting or something. But all is well, except the testing positive for Lyme part....

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:27 pm

I know you were concerned. You must feel better. That's great. I assume she's on antibiotics for the Lyme?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Sharon wrote:I know you were concerned. You must feel better. That's great. I assume she's on antibiotics for the Lyme?
Yes, thanks. She will be on them for three weeks. She had no symptoms so that is a good sign to begin with.