PMI Exclusive - Dog Food

Fair Fields

PMI Exclusive - Dog Food

Post by Fair Fields » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Anyone ever fed this or have any experience?

Our local Purina Dealer also sells this product. I was told that PMI - stands for Purina Mills Institute and is tied to the Horse Food division of Purina. Not sure if that is true or not. They have a 30/20 performance formula that have Chicken and Chicken Meal at the first 2 ingredients. It also contains Glucosomine. Seems like a decent product. It is priced here at $36 for 35# - whereas Pro Plan Performance is priced at $41.99.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: PMI Exclusive - Dog Food

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 pm

PMI is not a new feed so to speak, we were feeding it many many years ago, as my father worked for Purina for 26 years and he was in the mixing mill, he would bring some home for our pets now and then, not sure what the mix is like now, kind of hard to get it by me that it does not cost a fortune. And yes PMI is the Purina division of feed, I would'nt hesitate to feed it, if you like it, it was a good feed back then, I am sure it is as good now. Just don't get me started on the whole Purina and Pro plan discussion, it's lengthy... :lol:

Chip

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 pm

PMI Nutrition is a company that makes PMI and Red Flannel if I remember right. It used to be Purina Mills but when Nestles bought the Purina feeds PMI became a separate company. I think that is how it happened. Anyway they are not connected to Nestle-Purina or the Pro-Plan feeds they make.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Ezzy is right regarding the history of PMI. I guess I'm a dog food "junkie" and have tried what I think would be all the "better"feeds. I have decided to settle on Eukanuba and Exclusive since they are available locally. .Exclusive is, imo, an excellent product. I feed the Performance 30/20 to my Shorthairs and switch about every 6 months to Euk (call me crazy)..but the dogs seem to do well. Could never keep weight on them with Purina PP. I have also found PMI to have excellent customer service when I have called with a question.... Hope this helps..

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:41 am

Bossman, where are you located? and what are you paying for PMI?

Thanks,
Chip

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm located in McKinney, Texas...Just North of Dallas...Paying $41.80 for 35 lbs. After you buy 6 bags..get the next one free...Good stuff, quality ingredients, dogs look good and do well on the feed.

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks guys. I am going to give it a shot. If it saves me 20-30 bucks a month it will be worth it. It is available at our local drive thru feed store so it is very convenient.

I have heard of the 7th bag free deal, but haven't read anything on it yet. Are the details on the bag?

Steve

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:36 pm

FF...Details not on the bag..Feed store should mention it..if not...ask..Let us know how the dogs do on the Exclusive.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Cripes $41 a bag, I am getting Pro Plan Performance for $37 for a #37 bag, I'll have to check the local feed mill I think they can get it, see what there asking for it.

Chip

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 pm

The red flannel feed for the 26/18 formula is around 25 bucks for 50 pounds around central illinois and every 7th is free.

Will

Post by Will » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:36 pm

I fed PMI Exclusive for a good while and dogs did well on it....just got too expensive.....bought it locally in Central Illinois at a Purina Milling Company feed store. I think it was at about $36 for the 35lb bag about a year ago when I stopped using it. If it within your budget and it works for the dogs I'd say you can't go wrong with it.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Yea Will, it's $40 here for the exclusive through a local grain mill...........I'll stick with Proplan for now....

Chip

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:34 pm

ezzy333 wrote:PMI Nutrition is a company that makes PMI and Red Flannel if I remember right. It used to be Purina Mills but when Nestles bought the Purina feeds PMI became a separate company. I think that is how it happened. Anyway they are not connected to Nestle-Purina or the Pro-Plan feeds they make.

Ezzy
Even a broken clock is right once a day, and so is Ezzy. :lol: JK

That is actual and factual. PMI and Purina are completely seperate entities. I feed PMI RF Prime Formula to our adult dogs, and PMI Exclusive yard bird (chicken) and rice puppy formula to our pups. All the PMI dog and cat feeds are eligable for the extra bag credit. They put your name down on a card and log your purchases. After you buy 6 bags, you get a 7th bag free. It adds up.
PMI has never done me wrong. I advertise the product, use the product, and see great results from it. I was thinking about switching feed here awhile back, but when the "Black Death" errr I Mean "Black Gold" rep responded to me he was a pompus arse to say the least. But that was after I drilled him about no incentive program, loose stools, and some other stuff I was concerned about. PMI has a happy customer here nonetheless.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"