First Aid Kit

MNRichG911

First Aid Kit

Post by MNRichG911 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am

This will be my first year having a dog to hunt with and I am wondering what does everyone have for a first aid kit for your dog when you are hunting or in the fields? I know it is a ways off before the season starts, but I want to get stuff gathered up so I am ready to go when the time comes. Thanks for your help

Rich

fishvik

Re: First Aid Kit

Post by fishvik » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:01 am

MNRichG91,

I know the two things I use the most are a pair of hemostats and eye wash. I carry them in my vest. The hemostats are great for pulling things out of my dogs hide, feet and snout that have punctured it like porcupine quills and cactus spines. And bird dogs always seem to get stuff in their eyes. I also carry some antiseptic wipes, gauze pads, antibiotic, some sort of bandage wrap and heal skin in my bird hunting bag in my truck. Shake up cold packs are also a good idea if you are hunting in areas where a dog might over heat.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 am

Eye wash is a must like the above poster said, I mix 1/8th teaspoon of Boric Acid (from the pharmacy) with 1 cup of sterile water. I dont keep it long though if its unused, couple days in the fridge.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:19 am

does anyone use the glue for skin? i have never had any luck with it on my kids.

HMiller

Post by HMiller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 am

We've used the glue for skin... not on the dog, but on my husband's head... it seemed to work fabulously... I made him see the nurse just to make sure he didn't need stitches and she told him he should be the "poster child" for the stuff because it was working so well on the gash on his head (I'm still questioning whether or not he had a concussion though, he hasn't acted quite right since and that was two years ago)... :lol:

We've been told superglue works well on the pups... Also, we've been putting together our first aid kit for our trip to South Dakota in September and here's the list we're working from (we bought a first aid kit from Wal-Mart as the starter - it's a red canvas, zipped bag with a shoulder strap - so it's easy to carry anywhere):
- tube of EMT gel
- 2 pack of super glue
- roll of vet wrap
- forceps
- antiseptic wipes
- sutures (18 inch 33mm)
- gauze
- 100% deet (I have to have bug spray!)
Miller's Mischievous Maebyn VDHimmel JH