Getting momma to eat

Dennmor

Getting momma to eat

Post by Dennmor » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 am

I've been having some difficulty keeping my GLP momma interested in eating. It seems she only wants canned food when she wants any at all. I'm worried that the nutrition in the canned food isn't up to snuff. I'm also concernd that her milk production will be affected,. (We've got 10 on the graound!)
Advise, tips, or pointers would surely be welcomed. :?
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Getting momma to eat

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:48 am

Biggest concern when they first have pups is Fluids with out fluids they can not produce enough milk

You might try adding some plain chicken broth to her food and just put out small amounts of special wet or wetted food a few times a day and leave a bowl of dry for her to nibble on through out the day
put one big bowl of water and then a couple times a day make a 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup chicken broth for her to drink down

I like to get those little wire make shift stack shelves that you can get like a walmart I get one that is about 18-24 inches long and stands about 8 or so inches high this keeps it up and if the whelping box is at a level it can be set just out side the box where momma can get to it and pups will stay out of it till about 3 plus weeks old
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:02 am

i wouldn't assume that canned food is inferior to kibble, quite the opposite depending on the brand, but there is no doubt it is more money calorie for calorie..i wouldn't argue with the mom to tell you the truth give her what she wants now and i would buy a better canned food like Canidae, Core, Evo, Instinct

it will cost more than kibble but she needs to eat and maybe with the density of Core, Evo and Instinct canned you can mix in some kibble. Canidea's canned is very good but just a normal formula.

You can also try mixing in some canned sardines with her kibble. Sardines have such a strong taste that dogs love she might just forget about being picky. Core has a sardine/salmon canned dog food that my dog would run through a brick wall for that might make a good mixer. Fish turns a dog on, stinky food normal does.

sal

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:30 pm

mcbosco,
Hadn't thought of it but there is quite a bit of water weight in canned food huh.
thanks to both of you,
dennmor

Image Image Image

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Mom doesn't need to eat much for a couple of days. Thats why they cut back a day or two before whelping and usually it will be a couple of days after before she will start again. These first few days she isn't producing much milk since the babies are needing the colostrum. At this stage milk would tend to scour them. After the second or third day they will start to nurse more and increase their intake. But it will be at least a week before they really start consuming much and by the second week they can start pulling the mom down. My concern with a new litter is not getting mom to eat but rather making sure she doesn't eat too much. I try to feed a small amount and provide plenty of liquids and I have never had a problem.

Your concern about canned food is valid but at this stage she is doing what she should. She is wanting the fluid and since canned is 70% water it provides what she needs, plenty of fluid and not too many heat producing calories. If you keep her on cooling type feeds till she gets to feeling better then she will produce more milk when it comes time for her to do it. These first couple of days she is probably running a slight fever and also has swelling that needs to subside and the cooling type feeds and liquid will help her. The absolute worse thing you can do is make her eat too much for the first week. Lots of high fiber vegetable type feeds will reduce fever, reduce swelling, and help prevent mastitis which is a serious problem for the first couple of days at least.

If mom is like most dogs she will eat what she needs and she will be able to take care of the ten puppies with little trouble. But if you see a pup that is not competeing well then be sure to supplement its feed a little. But otherwise I would be sure to keep feed and water available to her at all times and chances are there will be little problem. But do remember it is several days after whelping before mom starts producing any amount of milk by design. And her feed intake is low to aid in reducing the swelling and keeping the pups from getting too much milk and scouring. I have always found with babies of any kind that too much is so much worse than too little.

Relax and enjoy,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Good post Ezzy.

I would add, that I feed "Puppy Formula" kibble to the Dam from when pregnancy is confirmed, leading up to whelping and until she weens the pups. Up until she whelps, I also add burger and cottage cheese to the kibble. Once weened, I switch the Dam back to Adult.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:56 am

I like the Iams puppy formula canned food to mix with the dry, as it just makes a good tasting broth mixed with some hot water. Then you have the best of both. And...they seem to love it. Also, any dog that is not wanting to eat, I keep a check on their temp.
brenda

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks,
The water and broth, mixed with the canned, seems to be the ticket, she really goes after it. I've been slowely adding more kibble in and she seems ok with that too!
Thanks y'all, :)
dennmor

Image Image Image