Question about ivomec (ivermectin) ?

Jon

Question about ivomec (ivermectin) ?

Post by Jon » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:42 pm

If anyone with experience could help me out I would really appreciate it. How do most people administer the ivermectin liquid ?

Do you put a drop on the dogs tongue or injection ?

I was told 1 drop on the tongue, but that doesn't seem to be a very precise dosage.

Dog is 50 pounds (give or take a few.)

http://www.petplace.com/article.aspx?id=1525

For dogs: Dose is 0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound (0.003 to 0.006 mg/kg) once a month for heartworm prevention.

The package only gives dosage for cattle 1 ml per 110lb and swine 1 ml per 75 lb. body weight.

Thanks
Jon

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:24 pm

We use 1/10 of a cc per 20 lbs. I just squirt it at the back of their mouth. You can give up to 1/2 cc safley. I have used it 25 yrs, greatest stuff ever. We dose everything in the kennel once a month with about 3/10 of a cc. It is a heartworm preventative and deworms for everything but Tapes and Whips.
brenda

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:09 pm

snips wrote:We use 1/10 of a cc per 20 lbs.
Thank You Brenda :D

My injection tube uses ml so a 1/2 ml or cc should be perfect for a 50 lb. dog. ( 1 cc = 1 ml )

If I understand correctly, 3/10 cc would be for a 60 lb. dog ? If the dog is 55 lbs. or 65 lbs. you still just use the 3/10 cc without any problems.

I had read about using this before but wanted to wait till Ammo was over 6 mo. just to make sure everything given was vet related up to that point. Figured there would be less questions if he ever developed any allergies etc.

Thanks
Jon

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:52 pm

Brenda,

Did I read somewhere there was one form of the Ivermectin you shouldn't use?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:08 pm

Someone said not to use the Ivomec "Plus". Not sure why.

Sad part is, I have found Ivomec at the local farm stores, but it is always the "plus".

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:29 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:Someone said not to use the Ivomec "Plus". Not sure why.
Thanks for the heads up on the Ivomec "plus" didn't know that.

Mine is not the "plus" so I should be o.k.

I explained to the farm store where I purchased mine it was going to be used for dogs, they sold me the same thing they used for dogs.

This is what I purchased, but not from petmeds. Farm store was half the price of petmeds.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp? ... iH3qE7fBsg

Thanks
Jon

pear

Post by pear » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:43 pm

I always cut a hot dog into three pieces for three dogs and inject the Ivomec into the hot dog. That way I don't stand a chance of sticking a jumping anxious dog in the tongue with the needle, or me trying to get one to cooperate........Never saw a dog that didn't like a hot dog....."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:35 pm

FWIW,

I use the same as Brenda does. I just draw it out with the needle, the take off the needle and fill the rest with vegetable/olive oil and squirt it in the dogs mouth.

Grant

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:36 am

Ivomec Plus (for FLukes) will kill your dog.

If you want to cut the med, use propylene glycol. It is available at any farm store as well. It is just a better tasting carrier used to administer drugs to animals.

If you want to use an ORal form of Ivomec, there is one made for Equine usage. It is only available from a Veterinarian though.

There is no reason to worry about jabbing your dog with a needle, use a removable needle and just shoot it in the back of his mouth. Being dead on with the dosage is not a big concern either....you have quite a bit of room for error here.

Phil
REO

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:23 am

QCBirddogs wrote: If you want to cut the med, use propylene glycol.

If you want to use an ORal form of Ivomec, there is one made for Equine usage. It is only available from a Veterinarian though.

Being dead on with the dosage is not a big concern either....you have quite a bit of room for error here.
Phil
REO
Is there a reason you prefer propylene glycol over olive oil ? ( other than taste)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

Is there a difference in the ORAL vs injection ? (They are both liquid. )

Yes, my needle is removable too.

Phil, what dosage would you recommend for a 50 lb. dog ?

I was reading you are pretty safe until exceeding .008 ml on a large dog over extended periods of time. I was also reading the dosage to be 1/10 cc for every 10 lbs. which would put the .006 ml dosage right on for a 60 lb. dog if I understand this correctly. But if breeders are using 1/10 cc for every 20 lbs. without any problems, I would much rather use the lower dosage.

Ear mites and other things required the higher dosage but heartworm protection required very little. So if your not having any problems, I read that to say you can use the smaller dosage and if you start having other problems you can administer a higher dosage. But don't EVER exceed the .008 without your vet examining the dog for the proper dosage.

Does this sound about right ?

Thanks for everyones feedback :)
Last edited by Jon on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:31 am

QCBirddogs wrote:Ivomec Plus (for FLukes) will kill your dog.Phil
REO
http://ivomec.us.merial.com/cowcalf/pro ... c_plus.asp

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:45 am

Jon,

I dont know how to use this quote thing so bare with me.......

When you asked in your previous post that you read that you are safe using .008 did you mean Ivomec plus?

Your math is a little off in your last post as well.... 1/10 of a cc or ml would be .1 not .006. unless I am misunderstanding you here. .006 woudl eb 6thousands of a cc.

A proper dosage for a 50 pound dog would be 1/2 of a cc or .5 ml's, which are the same thing. This is a general deworming dosage, not just a heartworm preventative. Yes it is safe to use for an extended period of time. I usually have 20 dogs in our kennel at any given time and they all get it! Every month all year.....Why take the dog off it?

If you stop using a heartworm preventative, you should have the dog checked before starting your regiment again!

Most Vets will not tell you to use Ivomec cattle dewormer for your dogs because it is not labeled for such usage. It is a extra label use.

I dont quite understand what you mean by not ever exceeding the .008 dose. Where did you read this? Did it have anything to do with a dog that has heartworm? Fill me in here and I will try to explain.

Phil
REO

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:10 pm

"QCBirddogs"

I dont know how to use this quote thing so bare with me.......
Just click the quote button on the top right corner of the post you reply to

When you asked in your previous post that you read that you are safe using .008 did you mean Ivomec plus? No! , 8/10 cc reg. injection Ivomec

Your math is a little off in your last post as well.... 1/10 of a cc or ml would be .1 not .006. unless I am misunderstanding you here. .006 woudl eb 6thousands of a cc. Sorry, many articles I read show mg,ml,cc and it gets a little hard to keep up. I'll stick to cc when posting so it's easier to follow my question.

A proper dosage for a 50 pound dog would be 1/2 of a cc or .5 ml's, which are the same thing. This is a general deworming dosage, not just a heartworm preventative. Thanks, That was one of my Q's. Some say 1/10 cc for every 10 lbs. and some say 1/10 for every 20 lbs. dog. I assume the 1/10 cc for every 20 lbs. would be a heartworm dosage and 1/10 cc for every 10 lbs. would be a deworming/heartworm preventative.

If you stop using a heartworm preventative, you should have the dog checked before starting your regiment again! Ammo has been on Revolution since I got him at 8 wks. and now that he is over 6 mo. I wanted to switch to Ivomec. yes, he has always been on a monthly heartworm preventative.

Most Vets will not tell you to use Ivomec cattle dewormer for your dogs because it is not labeled for such usage. It is a extra label use. That's why I'm asking you :D my vet would prob. start blowing smoke out his ears.

I dont quite understand what you mean by not ever exceeding the .008 dose. Where did you read this? Did it have anything to do with a dog that has heartworm? Fill me in here and I will try to explain. If I understood correctly. Exceeding 8/10 cc for an extended period will cause kidney problems ?

Thank you very much for all the help...

Jon

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:11 pm

Jon,

Do not use Ivomec Plus!

Use Ivomec Injection for Cattle and Swine 1% Sterile Solution. Be sure to check the expiration date because a bottle should last you a couple of years. Find an 1 ml insuline syringe and an 18 or 20 gauge needle. Draw .1 ml per 10 lbs of dog weight ( .6 ml for a 60 lb dog ), remove the needle, and squirt the ivomec in the back of the dogs mouth. They hate the taste, but dogs can't spit. This dose will work for heartworms and roundworms if given every 30 days. Because a dose of Ivomec is so inexpensive, most dog owners give it to their dogs year around. I have never heard of an .8 ml max, but all of my dogs are under 70 pounds, so it has never been an issue.

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help :D

SMILEY

Post by SMILEY » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:28 pm

Here is where I buy Ivomec, one of the largest vet supplies in the country only 30 miles from my house, very nice people to deal with.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... 1PLVCL941C

a74aggie

Ivoermec Syringe Question

Post by a74aggie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:17 am

I decided to use ivermectin, so I searched the posts and have found the information to be VERY useful.
I purchased the ivermectin 1%, and now have a pack of 1cc insulin syringes, but have a question.
The syringe is divided up into 10 segments marked 10, 20, 30....to 100
Logic tells me that each mark is 1/10th of a cc, but I would feel more comfortable if someone is using the same syringe and could confirm my thinking.

Thanks

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:32 am

We use Ivomec as well.

I have been told NEVER to use Ivermectin. It is not the same as Ivomec. So hopefully if you have Ivermectin you research it first before administering it.

Do Not EVER INJECT the Ivomec. This is not healthy for your pet. We put it in bread and give the dogs a piece of bred to eat.

And beware as well that Ivomec or the hearworm medacine Heartgaurd is not ok for any kind of cattle dog. It says that on the package of hearthgaurd as well. I have a cattle dog and she only get sentinal or something along those lines as anything with ivomec or ivermectin would kill her. Just and FYI!

I also would still recomend getting your dog tested each spring to be on the safe side. Unless of course it is a huge breeding/training center then that may not be reasonable but I still will test all our dogs each spring to make sure 100% that nothing went wrong.

Here is how we dose:

3/10 CC for Moose- weighs 60 lbs
2/10 cc for Tundra and Blitz both about 40 lbs.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:37 am

Ditto here
1/10th cc per 10 pounds of weight of the ivermec injectable

I just put a sppon full of canned food on the regular food and inject it into the chunk of wet food they gobble it down no problems
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:12 pm

MOOSE wrote:We use Ivomec as well.

I have been told NEVER to use Ivermectin. It is not the same as Ivomec. So hopefully if you have Ivermectin you research it first before administering it. ....
Do some research. I think that you will find that regular Ivomec (not Plus) injectable is a brand name for 1% Ivermectin.

http://ivomec.us.merial.com/feedlot/pro ... ivomec.asp

Quality control and similar aside, 1% Ivermectin is 1% Ivermectin.

In other words, this is like saying 200 mg Advil and 200 mg Equate brand Ibuprofen are the same.

I've always used Jeffers as well. Good customer service.

Best regards, Greg J.

a74aggie

Post by a74aggie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks to all.
By the way, I did find the following that just confirmed my concern over how to read and correctly use a 1cc insulin needle for anyone who is interested:

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/syringe.html

Better to measure twice and cut once !!!

Thanks again !

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:17 pm

Yes I understand that the bottle says Ivomec (ivermectin) on it but there is also Ivermectin that you give in a paste form to horses and this is NOT ok to give to dogs.

Maybe I should have made what I was saying a bit more clear. Sorry about that....Horse de-wormer/paste that is the Ivermectin type is not an ok thing to use.....As there are so many agricultural animals that use de-wormers that have Ivermectin in them I wanted to make sure that horse de-wormer was never thought of as safe.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

a74aggie

Post by a74aggie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:23 pm

I understand, and you are absolutely correct.
It is all too easy to seize on something and THINK you understand.
Thanks for the clarification.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:04 am

injecting ivomec is perfectly safe- dosing orally just sems to be easier, though.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:56 am

Use regular Ivomec. I give my OLDER dogs, not pups, 1/10 of a CC per 10 pounds. Does really well, will clear the system of anything and will prevent from just about anything. I give my Ivomec orally.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

anne

Post by anne » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:27 pm

The correct doseage for HEARTWORM ONLY of 1% ivermectin is 2.72 mg/lb, not 1cc/10lb.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/1391.htm

1000mcg = 1ml = 1cc

For heartworm only the 1cc/10lb doseage is overdosing altho it does take care of other worms like a mite infestation. For worms I would rather give pyrantel palmate when needed rather than giving so much ivermectin every month.

Heartgard whose active ingredient is ivermectin doses the chewable for a 50-100 pound dog at 272 mcg, which means for a 50 pound dog that is double the dose necessary.

a74aggie

Post by a74aggie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Hold on a minute. You state 2.72mg per pound, but your referenced web site states 2.72mcg per pound.
Was mg a typo on your behalf?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:27 pm

When you are already giving a medication why would you want to cut back the dosage and buy something else to do the same job.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:31 pm

This thread should be well settled by now. I would guess over half of the people on here are using Ivomec at thr rate of .1 cc per 10 to 20 lbs. They all are getting great results as far as I can see. Just to ad some credence to the amount my vets recommend the .1 to 10 lbs.

Ezzy

a74aggie

Post by a74aggie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:53 pm

I tend to agree.
I jumped in as I had never used Ivomec and just wanted to make sure I had a clear understanding.

Thanks to all for the input.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke