Scotts kenel floor question?

Beecher

Scotts kenel floor question?

Post by Beecher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:28 pm

I am looking at the Scotts above ground kennel grates, they are galvanized steel, made to let the waste pass thru to the ground. My question is how does it affect the dogs paws/feet, as the steel has to be super cold in the winter? Anyone with experience using metal grate kennel floors?

vzkennels

Re: Scotts kenel floor question?

Post by vzkennels » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Beecher I have 5 of the Scott Kennels & my dogs use them yr round.I doubt the metal would be any colder then concrete in the winter & I know the grate in the summer is much cooler then concrete in the summer.They have never been a problem for my dogs.

Beecher

Post by Beecher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:41 pm

Thank you, do u buy the whole scotts kits or just the grates and fab your own kennel?

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:46 pm

I bought the kennel & dog house kits minus the wood.Get the lumber at your local lumber yrd.

mm

Post by mm » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:47 am

Can anyone post some pictures of these scott kennel set ups they have. I would love to see them in some detail and all set up. I looked at the web site but they dont have any good pictures.
thanks
mm

bphelps56

Post by bphelps56 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:04 am

I have four of the Scott's kennels. I like the design very well, although I did modify the plans to make the dog house to make it larger and the kennel longer. The first three that I purchased were made with galvanized steel and have held up well. The last one purchased was powder coated steel and the quality is not nearly as good. The flooring was a lighter gauge steel and bent very easily causing the coating to come off. I contacted Deer Creek Enterprises and they sent replacements, but they are still not as good as the ones made with galvanized steel. If I build another kennel I plan on using flooring from Farmtek. I think it will be better and allow using fewer floor joist. I have attached a link to the Farmtek website at the bottom of the page. In talking to Deer Creek Enterprises, they indicated the reason that they changed from galvanized steel to powder coated steel was to keep the cost down. I feel that the quality went down also. Not just in the flooring, but in the side panels as well. I don't know of another source for side panels, so I probably would buy the side panels again, even though the quality is not as good it is with the galvanized coating.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/Pr ... ctId=20251
Bill Phelps
Hidden Creek Kennels
Llewellin Setters
Somerset, KY
hiddencreekkennels@hotmail.com
http://www.hiddencreekkennel.com

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 am

Hmmm that's a shame,the oldest one I have here is about 20 yrs old & the newest is probably 5 yrs old.The quality has went down from the beginning since Deer Creek took over.The original ones were heavier galvananised then the newer ones I bought,The only improvement was the floor panels the first ones had round rods that were held in place by a channel over the 2x4 supports.I had to replace them a couple times but not replaced any of the newer floor panels as of yet.The first ones cost me around $300 to build the last close to $500 but the paneles were of a smaller gauge wire.I guess it's like just about like everything else you pay more & get less,it's a shame but sign of the new age. :(

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:45 pm

The Farmtek kennel grates work good. I have one variation of the Scotts kennel that I built a little differently. I built the kennel on its own legs and the whelping box sepreately. They roll next to each other and connect with drop pannel doors. I also put them on wheels / casters so I could roll them out of my building and hose them off on a concrete washing pad. I keep a waterproof tarp under the grates to collect waste. I am looking for a better method for that part. Any suggestions :?: