dog houses

Hunter

dog houses

Post by Hunter » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 am

Has anyone used or heard of the K9 Kondo dog hut? I want to get my shrothairs a warm dog den to stay warm in the winter as it is brutaly called in the midwest and I see they have whats called a dog den 1 2 or 3 with a heated floor. Just curious as to if anyone has used them and are they any good.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

Dirtysteve

Re: dog houses

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:51 pm

I have 3 dog den 2's. I put some good quality grass hay in them and have never needed the heaters.
It' get's below zero here several times a winter and never had an issue with cold dogs. In fact when they come out in the morning to get fed you can see the heat rising off them.
One thing I don't like about them is if the floor gets and stays wet it will eventually rust through even though it is galvanized. I have never had to replace one but my friend has a bitch that will pee in her house and he has had problems with his floor.

Will

Post by Will » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I have 2 Dog Den 2's with heaters and use grass hay for bedding. We keep the kennel out of the prevailing winter winds and the dogs do well in them. They are easy to clean and replace bedding as the tops come off. We like em.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

steingre

Post by steingre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Ditto on the K-9 Condo comments so far- I have three, the oldest probably for 6 years- I have never had a heater, and the dogs (shorthairs) have never seemed to suffer, even in our brutal Iowa winters!

I replace the bedding a couple of times a winter- the units are so tight...I think they tend trap some moisture...and the bedding sometimes seems a little damp around the edges.

Just starting to see a rusted-out spot on the floor of oldest unit- I might try to see if I can just buy a floor and maybe replace the insulation under it as well!