De-energize your dog!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

De-energize your dog!

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 am

I've read a few food threads, even participated in a couple. I'd like to turn the question around. What non-raw food can I give my dog to: maintain an okay coat, not make it sick and is proven to reduce the dog's energy and stamina? There are times of the year when I might want a less energetic dog. I've tried a few different manufacturer's foods but apparently haven't found the right one for this purpose. Can you help me out here?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

northern cajun

Re: De-energize your dog!

Post by northern cajun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 pm

wow that is an interesting question.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 pm

If there is a food that will do that, I wouldn't let my dogs touch it!!!! Maybe you are talking about a maintenance formula instead of a performance formula, which most brands have the different formulas. It won't and shouldn't reduce your dog's energy level though.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

BigShooter wrote:reduce the dog's energy
1/2 of a benadryl :D

Why are you wanting to reduce your dog's energy level? Is he being destructive or are you just making a conversation? Is he an inside or outside dog?

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Just looking for brand names and proven or anecdotal results.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 am

Ron R wrote:
BigShooter wrote:reduce the dog's energy
1/2 of a benadryl :D

Why are you wanting to reduce your dog's energy level? Is he being destructive or are you just making a conversation? Is he an inside or outside dog?

Ron
:) :) :) :) :) :)

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:42 am

When my kids are going bonkers in the house and need to "burn of some energy" they are told to either clean or go outside and play. Not sure how your dog is at doing dishes or dusting so you may want to take him out to play.

See if he likes Jack Daniels I know I do. :D

All kidding aside a tired dog is usually less energetic. Take him for runs or do some training, swimming can also be a good way to help them settle down. I think in the long run it would be healthier for your dog to burn energy rather than give him substaintial diet or drugs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:05 am

What a great question and no one can answer it. Those without an answer are the same people many times who are so adamant about a change in food increasing their dogs energy in many of the posts on the board. And I have an idea that is why the question was asked.

I don't believe in my years I have ever seen a difference in energy level from feeding. I do think you can change over-all health, stamina, and condition over time which might change energy level but these short-time changes people talk about I think are more imagined than real. I do know I will get flamed for saying that but If no one can answer how to take energy away then what else can a person think.

The energy level of your dog is more genetic and training than anything else but it is possible to influence it over a period of time but I have always had a problem with the comment that someone changed foods and could just see the dogs energy level go up. If that was true then the dog had to be in terrible shape to start with and the next question then would be is how and why did you let your dog get that sick or malnourished before noticing it.

Mark you are sneaky but good.

JMO
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 am

I don't ever recall anyone ever saying that a calorically richer (mostly from fat) & higher protein food (ie performance formulas) worked like a chemical stimulant, rather the density of these formulas allowed the dog to eat reasonable amounts of food when burning higher amounts of calories. No one can argue that a food with 2200 calories per lb is a better option (and probably cheaper & cleaner) than a food with 1500 calories per lb for a working dog or dog in training. Feed the same amount by weight to two dogs doing the same thing and see what the dog eating the 1500 calories per pound food looks like in a few weeks.

I PM'd Mark with a wink, pretty obvious it was a 'gotcha' question.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:45 am

Trying to get something stirred up BigShooter?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 am

twofeathers wrote: All kidding aside a tired dog is usually less energetic. Take him for runs or do some training, swimming can also be a good way to help them settle down. I think in the long run it would be healthier for your dog to burn energy rather than give him substaintial diet or drugs.
That was my knee-jerk reaction as well.

A tired kid is a good kid.
A tired dog is a good dog.

Both so true.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:08 am

mcbosco wrote:I don't ever recall anyone ever saying that a calorically richer (mostly from fat) & higher protein food (ie performance formulas) worked like a chemical stimulant, rather the density of these formulas allowed the dog to eat reasonable amounts of food when burning higher amounts of calories. No one can argue that a food with 2200 calories per lb is a better option (and probably cheaper & cleaner) than a food with 1500 calories per lb for a working dog or dog in training. Feed the same amount by weight to two dogs doing the same thing and see what the dog eating the 1500 calories per pound food looks like in a few weeks.

What is a reasonable amount? I have never seen that spelled out and I know it was never considered when we formulated a feed. And why can't anyone argue that a higher protein/fat feed is not always better for a dog. If that was true why do we limit the feeds to 30/20 or there about? We have gotten so caught up in what we think is better with so little to base it on and little knowledge of what the dog really needs to be healthy.

But no one can tell us how to feed to limit energy. The more we learn the less the things we hear seem relevant. There is just so much more to good nutrition than what we hear day in and day out.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 am

BigShooter wrote:What non-raw food can I give my dog to: maintain an okay coat, not make it sick and is proven to reduce the dog's energy and stamina?
Dang it, I was going to say feed raw. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:I don't ever recall anyone ever saying that a calorically richer (mostly from fat) & higher protein food (ie performance formulas) worked like a chemical stimulant, rather the density of these formulas allowed the dog to eat reasonable amounts of food when burning higher amounts of calories. No one can argue that a food with 2200 calories per lb is a better option (and probably cheaper & cleaner) than a food with 1500 calories per lb for a working dog or dog in training. Feed the same amount by weight to two dogs doing the same thing and see what the dog eating the 1500 calories per pound food looks like in a few weeks.

What is a reasonable amount? I have never seen that spelled out and I know it was never considered when we formulated a feed. And why can't anyone argue that a higher protein/fat feed is not always better for a dog. If that was true why do we limit the feeds to 30/20 or there about? We have gotten so caught up in what we think is better with so little to base it on and little knowledge of what the dog really needs to be healthy.

But no one can tell us how to feed to limit energy. The more we learn the less the things we hear seem relevant. There is just so much more to good nutrition than what we hear day in and day out.

Ezzy

Who limits feeds to 30/20? Many are way above nowadays especially on the protein side, fat is trickier above 20 if the fat is sprayed rather than vacuum infused. As for a reasonable amount, let me just say the average sized bird dog (50-60lbs weight) that eats above 4 cups or as much as 6 cups as heard on here (limitation on cups is noted!!) probably would be better off on a denser better quality food, the owner would probably save money and deal with less poop and have a less bloat prone dog as he or she ages. Training times would be much easier to deal with as well.
Last edited by mcbosco on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey,

I'm calling "foul" - no highjacking of this thread allowed! 8)
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 pm

BigShooter wrote:Hey,

I'm calling "foul" - no highjacking of this thread allowed! 8)
Slap me around a little as I was the culprit that probably did it. Back to the original question and I can't wait for some more answers. Oh, wait, there hasn't been any yet.

Still think it is a great question.

Ezzy

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Try feeding it cat food for a while, that darn cat of my daughters just lays around all day. Never comes when you call it and just stares at you all the time like it could just flip you the bird. :lol: :lol: :roll:

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:26 am

twofeathers wrote:Try feeding it cat food for a while, that darn cat of my daughters just lays around all day. Never comes when you call it and just stares at you all the time like it could just flip you the bird. :lol: :lol: :roll:

two feathers, thats the first good laugh i have had all week! thats funny! :D :D :D

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 am

Setters love cats! (raw only)

To stir the pot, I wonder if it's proper to feed a dog the highly expensive feed where they only will eat a small amount, and yet they do great. After all, part of the pleasure of being a dog is eating 2-3 cups of feed per day! I do believe in good quality feed, and would not feed the lower end feeds, but most dogs do well on most good feeds. :wink:

Unless the dog is sick or tired, treat the high energy as a genetic blessing, and learn to harness it properly.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:08 am

big steve46 wrote:Setters love cats! (raw only)
I was sure Mcbosco would get on and tell us we needed to feed raw and get some green tripe since he recommends it for every other problem the dog has or is likely to get in the next decade or so. :lol:
big Steve46 wrote:To stir the pot, I wonder if it's proper to feed a dog the highly expensive feed where they only will eat a small amount, and yet they do great. After all, part of the pleasure of being a dog is eating 2-3 cups of feed per day! I do believe in good quality feed, and would not feed the lower end feeds, but most dogs do well on most good feeds. :wink:

Unless the dog is sick or tired, treat the high energy as a genetic blessing, and learn to harness it properly.
I have always questioned trying to feed the dog less volume all of the time when it is volume that tend to make them feel satisfied and not always hungry which helps promote obesity if you are not careful about restricting their feed. The only animals we restrict the volume or fiber for are the animals we are trying to fatten without developing the muscles to the point of being tough. Always seemed to me the dogs were happier and more satisfied in the kennel or home when they were fed more. During the period they are working hard the less volume may be a better option.

By the way, I talked to musher the other day and all they feed their sled dogs is Loyall now and are getting great results. Then just last week they were talking to a local gal from one of the native tribes on a TV show and she was saying they feed Loyall to their dogs. Sounds like a good endorsement for the feed.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am

Ezzy, take your own advice and stick with one food, Sportmix, Diamond, Loyall, it never ends with you, always switching around. You know better than anyone it doesn't make a darn bit of difference what you feed a dog. That Loyall kibble is between $40 - $50 a bag on the East Coast by the way. Given the calorie content I would consider it very pricey, here anyway.

You must like poop, Ezzy!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:40 am

mcbosco wrote:Ezzy, take your own advice and stick with one food, Sportmix, Diamond, Loyall, it never ends with you, always switching around. You know better than anyone it doesn't make a darn bit of difference what you feed a dog. That Loyall kibble is between $40 - $50 a bag on the East Coast by the way. Given the calorie content I would consider it very pricey, here anyway.

You must like poop, Ezzy!!
Don't believe I said any place that I was switching feeds. I'm still feeding Diamond though I did try the Sportsmix for a couple of months seeing if I could find a feed that Rush would eat better but it didn't help and I really find the condition of the dogs better on the Diamond. Have never seen the Loyall locally but know Steve and several others have fed it and have had good things to say about it. Sounds like it's a good food but I don't think it is near that price here in the mid-west. I don't spend much time researching feeds anymore. Guess there was too many years doing that in the past when it was my job.

And the other thing that I guess I am different about is I don't spend time trying to find a food that produces the correct amount of poop but rather like to find what works well for the over all well being of my dogs. Less poop is nice when you have to clean the kennel I guess but as long as I have to do that daily and there is not more than the shovel will hold it makes little difference. I am more concerned as far as cleaning goes on the firmness of the stool than the amount. And I do know that there is a need for fiber if the whole digestive tact is to stay healthy and that isn't accomplished by seeing how little waste there is.

Maybe I need to change what I look for in a good food. Forget the dog but check the poop. That just doesn't sound right to me.

Now once again back to the original question.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 am

I donated a pallet to a rescue organization a few weeks back, I chatted with Steve about it through PM

You are having fun harassing people and that's cool if that turns you on, but you should answer your own silly questions rather than taunt others

Someone else put it best "mouth for the machine"

I think that sums it up

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am

We musn't forget to respect our elders! :lol: :lol:
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 pm

big steve46 wrote:We musn't forget to respect our elders! :lol: :lol:

Thank you! I've worked a long time to deserve that status. But I don't think it is fashionable any more. That's just another of the old proverbs we grew up with years ago but now everyone knows more than the "machine" that spent years and millions of dollars to provide us with the best possible food.

You take care of yourself and you may catch me one of these days. :wink: :wink:
Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:01 pm

I noticed the Loyall dog food at Tractor Supply the other day. I believe it was something like 26.50 for a 40# bag. Just an observation.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Thats about what I have seen it for also. Little higher than Diamond but from what I hear a pretty good feed.

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 pm

birddogger wrote:I noticed the Loyall dog food at Tractor Supply the other day. I believe it was something like 26.50 for a 40# bag. Just an observation.

Charlie
That's about what i pay here at my independant feed store. 25 plus with $3 off coupon for Active Adult. which one did you see charlie, AA. Maint, or what?
big steve

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 pm

The one I was looking at was the active adult.

Charlie

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:17 am

birddogger wrote:The one I was looking at was the active adult.

Charlie
That was a good price then. AA is what I am feeding now. I have a 50 lb bag of Professional that I will feed next. It has mostly the same ingredients but has more protein and fat. Of course, the main way to compare is to feed it and observe quantity used, coat appearance, poop, etc. My pup has lots of energy and stamina, so am not looking to increase that.

I will probably stay with the AA or the Performance once I feed the bag of Professional.
big steve

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:54 pm

:mrgreen: TROLL!!!! :mrgreen:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Sub -

Non sequitur!
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

I have heard folks describe both Eukanuba Performance (Pink) and Eagle Power Pac as "hot" foods. They switched to Pro Plan Maintenance and claimed the dogs were not so "antsy" after feeding time. They likened the effect to giving a horse oats. This was mentioned separately to me by two different parties who did not know each other. Personally, I always felt that the dogs had more "go" on Euk or Eagle than the other 30/20 blends I tried.

So, I think the question is valid, but the answer is "almost any and all foods", except those few that are "hot".

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 am

I used to use Eukanuba Performance (pink bag) but it didn't seem to work as a hot food for my dogs.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 am

I am not sure what makes a food a hot food. And guess I have never seen one that I know of. I've fed a lot of different feeds over the years and have found some that I like better than others but I have never seen a difference in the dogs energy level with any of them. Plus it wasn't something we could produce even at the research farm so I guess I question even more if there is such a thing and how do we measure the results so we know how much change there is and what really produced it.

I think if you go back and research the comments on this board would really make you wonder about this since practically every food on the market has been analysis with some people saying they see a big improvement with a certain feed and others saying there dogs darn near starved to death on the same feed. And that was the same thing that happened when I was in charge of the quality control, the same batch of feed would have someone reporting how good it was and someone else reporting how bad it was. Just part of dealing with the public. But the one thing that did stick out is that 95% of all complaint were made by less than 5% of the customers. They just kept coming from the same people no matter what you did.

Ezzy

jenterrier

Post by jenterrier » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 am

You just need to find a good diet that has a lesser amount of energy giving nutrients. It would be a bit hard to find some that could really fit your doggy.