Enhance Professional Athlete

lauzon4

Enhance Professional Athlete

Post by lauzon4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello, I’ve been trying to find out what the calorie count of Enhance Professional Athlete is. I found 635 calories/cup listed on some of the sites selling PA and in a few disscusions but have been unable to find it on the Enhance site. Yesterday I called customer service and was told it was 480/cup. I understand the company has recently changed hands and there have been a few minor changes in formulation and new packaging. Has the calorie count changed with the new formula/packaging? The customer service rep seemed unaware of any change. I purchased a forty lb. bag today which is not the newest packaging and was told it was 635/cup. Does anyone know what the count actually is or if it is in the process of changing?
I’ve been feeding Euk Pro Performance and have been unable to keep weight my older female during the hunting season and I was hoping that the Enhance PA might fit as a higher calorie quality food.

Thanks, Mike

jlp8cornell

Re: Enhance Professional Athlete

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm

All I could find was below. No cal count:

ENHANCE®
PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE

Enhance® Professional Athlete Food for Dogs provides a maximum density formula to support the strenuous lifestyle of highly competitive dogs. With 30% protein, 22% fat, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate for healthy joints plus omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat, Professional Athlete is the total solution.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein (min) 30.00%
Crude Fat (min) 22.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.50%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Vitamin E (min) 500 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid* (min) 300 mg/kg
Beta Carotene* (min) 10 mg/kg
L-Carnitine* (min) 75 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min) 1.00%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min) 3.50%
Glucosamine* (min) 400 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate* (min) 40 mg/kg

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
INGREDIENT LIST:

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Rice, Flaxseed, Menhaden Fish Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl- 2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide (source of iodine), Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm

lauzon4 wrote:Hello, I’ve been trying to find out what the calorie count of Enhance Professional Athlete is. I found 635 calories/cup listed on some of the sites selling PA and in a few disscusions but have been unable to find it on the Enhance site. Yesterday I called customer service and was told it was 480/cup. I understand the company has recently changed hands and there have been a few minor changes in formulation and new packaging. Has the calorie count changed with the new formula/packaging? The customer service rep seemed unaware of any change. I purchased a forty lb. bag today which is not the newest packaging and was told it was 635/cup. Does anyone know what the count actually is or if it is in the process of changing?
I’ve been feeding Euk Pro Performance and have been unable to keep weight my older female during the hunting season and I was hoping that the Enhance PA might fit as a higher calorie quality food.

Thanks, Mike
635 is probably right for Gross Calories but I think the rep was giving you Metabolizable Calories when she said 480. That is the measure you should go by. The ME on Euk is 431 but you have to compare the weight of a cup by volume to be accurate.

lauzon4

Post by lauzon4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:50 pm

mcbosco wrote: 635 is probably right for Gross Calories but I think the rep was giving you Metabolizable Calories when she said 480. That is the measure you should go by. The ME on Euk is 431 but you have to compare the weight of a cup by volume to be accurate.
Hmmm, that could be where the difference is, although I would have thought the rep would have made the connection when I questioned her about the numbers. That may also explain why I was thinking that the Euk used to be in the 600 range at one time. Maybe what I remembered seeing was the gross rating.
As far as the calories/cup, I assumed (and I know I shouldn’t do that) that the numbers listed where a volume measurement? But I guess I did wonder about size of the chunks. The two foods in question are quite a bit different in size.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:21 am

The size, shape and density of the food can make a big difference in the weight of an 8 ounce cup by volume. However, most kibbles weigh about 4 ounces per 8 ounce cup by volume.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:36 am

mcbosco wrote:The size, shape and density of the food can make a big difference in the weight of an 8 ounce cup by volume. However, most kibbles weigh about 4 ounces per 8 ounce cup by volume.

Which is it? You can't say there is a big difference and then say most are 4 ounces per 8 ounce cup.

Lets just say that the calories per cup is a useless figure when used to compare dog foods. To have any consistancy at all you have to compare feeds by wieght and not volume.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:The size, shape and density of the food can make a big difference in the weight of an 8 ounce cup by volume. However, most kibbles weigh about 4 ounces per 8 ounce cup by volume.

Which is it? You can't say there is a big difference and then say most are 4 ounces per 8 ounce cup.

Lets just say that the calories per cup is a useless figure when used to compare dog foods. To have any consistancy at all you have to compare feeds by wieght and not volume.

Ezzy
You need to read things more closely. Somewhere in that arcane and cryptic english of mine is the word ""can".

You stepped in poo again.

lauzon4

Post by lauzon4 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks guys, so in reality I should be looking at the calories per kg or lb when comparing two foods.

fordman

Post by fordman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:27 am

There reps are less than helpful, there best guy I have talked to covered the southwest Tenn area. I have feed PA for 2 different seasons I don't think it is worth the xtra $$$$. Plus it is not that easy to get in Mich. Oow that they have been sold I switched brands, not sure if I will go back, I did like the Hunters edge for the money.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Which rep are you speaking to in Mi? Which rep have you spoken to in SW TN?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Shets the problem is that we all like to feed the best possible food we can AFFORD.
If we all only had 1 dog that would not be much of an issue but most of us own more then 1 dog & some own several I have 8 at the moment.
So maybe it's the best on the market,maybe not but when it gets priced to high to afford then we have to move on regardless.

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 am

shets114 wrote:Which rep are you speaking to in Mi? Which rep have you spoken to in SW TN?
In Tenn a nice guy that runs squirrell dogs. The rest of the people I have talked to have been a waste of time.

lauzon4

Post by lauzon4 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:05 am

Shets,

Can you answer my original question about the calorie count?

Thanks, Mike

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 am

lauzon4 wrote:Thanks guys, so in reality I should be looking at the calories per kg or lb when comparing two foods.
really doesn't matter so long as you are consistent, make sure you are comparing the correct metrics.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:47 pm

lauzon4 wrote:Thanks guys, so in reality I should be looking at the calories per kg or lb when comparing two foods.
Right. Comparing cal per volume means nothing but at least comparing by weight gives you compareable info.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:20 pm

The kcal/kg for the Pro Athlete is 3908.

Fordman. I would really be interested in who you spoke to in MI.

The rep you are refering to is a great guy and friend of mine if it is who I'm thinking you are referring to. He is the distributor rep for Southland Supply.
Feel free to PM me with your issues with Ainsworth. So far once everything is explained most can understand the changes and are more than willing to try the new formulas.