PROPLAN SELECTS FOR SENSITIVE STOMACH AND SKIN (UPDATE)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

PROPLAN SELECTS FOR SENSITIVE STOMACH AND SKIN (UPDATE)

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone has fed this food before and how your dogs did on it..i know each dog is different but still would like some feedback..i have a dog here (lab) thats 5 years old (rescue) that just wont stop vomitting up the proplan all life stage, he only vomits after he eats and he is not eating fast SO this is my first step in seeing what it may be, i went and bought the proplan selects salmon and brown rice for sensitive stomach and skin a little while ago (today)..ive only had the dog here 3 days and he hasnt held down the other food for more than a half hour but after he vomits hes fine and playing again so i made him some hamburger and rice drained really well and he held that down so it must be a digestion issue he has, i called the shelter i got him from they said his food was always eaten but they said one of the kennel attendants did notice he vomitted and then ate it so im thinking he has been doing this for a while......ruth

UPDATE: THE LAB (ROGER) WAS ONE OF MY RESCUES AND ADOPTED BY A WONDERFUL RETIRED COUPLE, HE WAS JUST PICKED UP THIS MORNING AT 7AM (MAY 2)..... :mrgreen: ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: PROPLAN SELECTS FOR SENSITIVE STOMACH AND SKIN

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Ask Cajun Casey, but I know people swear by that food. I think Pro Plan Select Salmon is what it is called now. My sister just put her rats on the Turkey formula and its the only premium food they don't throw up.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:40 pm

mcbosco wrote:Ask Cajun Casey, but I know people swear by that food. I think Pro Plan Select Salmon is what it is called now. My sister just put her rats on the Turkey formula and its the only premium food they don't throw up.
Ya its salmon and brown rice, fed him an hour ago and no vomit so far (fingers crossed)..do you know if this is a new food?...thanks..ruth

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Not sure but only Petsmart carries the select line near me. It is not cheap.

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Are you feeding once or twice a day? I think I would feed twice a day and lay the food out on a flat tray so he does have to pick at it( I know you said he's not eating fast) and away from the other dogs. I have used the food and no differents with three dogs, went back to the plain pro-plan. Maybe a trip to the vet is in order also to be sure. Good luck with the lab,nice to hear he has a good home.
AL

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:13 pm

mcbosco wrote:Not sure but only Petsmart carries the select line near me. It is not cheap.
Thats where i got it, i always go to petsmart cause i bring the dogs with me and they lap up all the attention :D ..i got the largest bag for 55 bucks and had a 5 dollar coupon..and i cant find a dog thats cheap, only the expensive ones move in :wink: ...ruth

@grousewoods, i feed morning and evening (6am and 4pm) all the dogs eat at the same time but younger ones get a little at 11am too..i know some think its going against everything holy to feed 3 times a day but i always have fed the pups this way....its been hours now and no vomit, yayy, i hope its this simple of a solution :D ....ruth

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Selects come in chicken, salmon, lamb, and turkey, I believe. The salmon formula is a bit different from the regular PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach which was their first salmon food. The turkey is a redeux of the old PP Turkey and Barley. The line has been around for several years. I have always likes what Purina has done with turkey and the Selects delivers on its advertising.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:44 pm

I used it when my dogs had skin conditions from mites. They liked it and there is the possibility it helped. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 am

No vomitting and he has held down breakfast as well, although he ate the other food REALLY slow he seems to wanna wolf down this food so i used the muffin tins to slow him down some, i think he likes the taste and is probably glad his bulimia has subsided :D ....ruth

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm

I have used the regular Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Skin with several fosters and had very good luck with it. Have not tried any of the new Select formulas. Most of the fosters I've had were pretty rough when they came in. Once their stomach and coat were back on track I try to switch them over to what the rest of my pack is eating.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:29 pm

stlgsp wrote:I have used the regular Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Skin with several fosters and had very good luck with it. Have not tried any of the new Select formulas. Most of the fosters I've had were pretty rough when they came in. Once their stomach and coat were back on track I try to switch them over to what the rest of my pack is eating.
Did your dog stink this bad on it, YUCK, i hope this is temporary or im buying a gas mask :oops: , i gave him 4 cups yesterday but only 3 cups today. hopefully ezzys advice of cutting some of the food portion back will work..when he gets adopted i will send the food with him, i use proplan all life stages for the rest and they are doing great :D ..ruth

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Didn't have problems with gas. The last two fosters we've had were skin & bones when we got them so fed several small meals a day to start. Gradually worked them up to a normal feeding schedule and amount. I would cut back on the amount and see how that goes. May just take him a while to adjust to the new food.