GSP with Diarrhea

GSPTrigger

GSP with Diarrhea

Post by GSPTrigger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 pm

The last couple days my GSP has been having really bad diarrhea and today I noticed that his scrotum has turned red and somewhat swollen. I assumed that the diarrhea was from a cucumber he was caught eating a couple days ago, but it hasn’t gone away yet. I’m planning on taking him to a vet on Friday. Any idea of what it could be or any other suggestions?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: GSP with Diarrhea

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:33 pm

how is his energy are there any other clinical signs? if there is anything else off about him I would get him to the vet right away

if ALL else is normal
don't feed him anything for 24 hours...
then feed him small amounts of rice and cottage cheese and some activa yogurt
and do a 5 day regime of safeguard wormer
If no improvements with in 24 hours get to the vet

and be sure he has access to plenty of water
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GSPTrigger

Post by GSPTrigger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reply kninebriddog. He has been his normal self as far as his energy and his activity. I haven't taken a temp and he has been eating and drinking normal. I have been making sure he always has water and I have added water to his feeding to make sure he is getting plenty. I'll try what you've suggested and see what happens.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 pm

with holding food for about 24 hours will help his digestive system to clear out and heal up a little

then the rice and stuff is easy digesting

the safeguard you can get at a feed store if you get the horse wormer in a tube put out a line of about an inch on to your finger then give that to the dog for 5 days this will cover quite a few different little things from worms to girardia to very light cases of coccidia
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:08 am

One of my guys went through similar a couple weeks ago - passing brown water, basically, but otherwise totally normal. Witholding food for 24 hours and the rice diet didn't help. The vet couldn't find anything amiss other than anal glands that were fuller than normal. He expressed the glands and sent him home with 4 cans of I/D. I took the dog in on day 4 of the runs and on that afternoon they started getting better and were gone on day 5.

Maybe it was the anals, maybe it was the I/D, maybe it just ran its course. None of my other dogs got it.

Have your dog checked by the vet to make sure there isn't a serious problem. Hopefully it'll clear up on its own real soon. A little vaseline or diaper rash cream on the nether regions can make him more comfortable.