Ezzy have you seen this food

Munster

Ezzy have you seen this food

Post by Munster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 pm

I have always listened when you would educate us on the diffrent foods that are out there. But have you seen this one? Nutrilife, Check out the ingrediance in it. It seems alot better then my pro plan and for what I pay for a 35 pound bag I can get and actual 40 pounder with this company.

Seriously though, what do you think of the ingredience? I may look into feeding this.maybe

Protien is a little low though.

Educate me Ezzy!!!!! :)

http://www.nutrilifepetfood.com/product ... egory_id=6
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

fordman

Re: Ezzy have you seen this food

Post by fordman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:31 am

not enough fat in it for me.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:38 am

It looks like a Fromm formula. There is a Plus with more fat and protein.

I would bet it is made or owned by Fromm.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:31 am

Looks like another over-priced feed that some people use to pamper their non-working dog.
big steve

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:55 am

Just trying to find a food that isnt crap and isnt killing us in the wallet. I have always been a pro plan person, but the cost is rising and the bag is shrinking. I also think that they must have switched something in the formula. My pup has been on it for over a year and never had any gas issue. Now he can...and will clear a room. Nothing else has changed in his diet.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 am

Has the gas been ongoing because it could be nothing more than a bad bag, which you will get from time to time with any brand.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:55 am

Mary,

The list of ingredients looks good and it should be a good food. However, It appears to be tailored for the indoor lap dog and I am sure that is their marketing strategy. First is their slogan that it looks like something you would eat----- directed to the crowd that thinks their dog is a child and should eat like one. Second, no grain to reduce allergies--------- direct to the crowd that still believes grains are the principle cause of food allergies even though it has been proved over and over, feed allergies are extremely rare in dogs and a very small percent of a rare incident is caused by grain. Allergies are usually caused by protein and not the grain.

Some real issues are including multiple sources of animal protein---------- not a problem till you do have an allergy and you won't have a clue what is causing it and it would be hard to find a feed with without one of the sources they include in their feed. The fat and protein levels are better suited to a dog with limited activity, though your sporting dog might do better with a little higher level especially when you are working them. And I am sure some of the vegetables they list are there for you to read and not for the dogs needs. It is evident due to the place in the list some of them appear. All of those that follow the fat source are so limited in quantity there would be little if any real nutritional benefit.

I really think you could do well with it as a maintenance type feed but you can do better with a performance type but not sure you would see a big difference but you might. I am sure the dog would know the difference though. This is a case of a new feed trying to carve out a niche for itself and has directed their advertising in just that way. I think we see that often in the high priced feeds also. They direct their sales pitch to a small percent of the people with the hope of filling a void that is based on some radical concept they have heard and believe instead of selling to the broad market that is already well filled with good dog foods. You will see the two strategies played out over and over, small volume high priced for the speciality market and lower prices mass merchandising strategy of the regular companies that sell in volume to make their money.

I understand where you are coming from and where you want to go. But I am sure you could accomplish the same thing better by going to one of the Diamond, Sportmix, or Loyall feeds plus a few others. And as far as your pup suddenly having gas, he is at the age where he is maturing and probably needs less feed than he did but you haven't cut him back. This may not be what you wanted to hear but from the very limited knowledge you can get from an ingredient list would be my opinion. If you want to try it go ahead but I think you have better options available. All of this said I do think we are tending towards over feeding our dogs with many of the real high protein/ fat feeds considering the limited activity we do with them so you may see very little difference at least for the time being.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks Ezzy. It was more of a thing where I was in the feed store and saw the product and was wondering about it. I absolutly HATE to switch feeds.
As far as the gas, I can deal with it and see how it plays out. He isnt a eater, so no worries about over feeding him. I thank the heavens when I can get him to eat 2 cups a day.

Thanks for the input. I will stick to what I have. :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:40 pm

You might want to look for a food called Prism which is made by Eagle Pack. It looks like a good food that is easy on the wallet from a reliable company. Likewise, Eagle Pack might be cost effective because the company still offers 50lb breeder bags.

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Many good food's out there and Ezzy certainly mentioned a few. As a follow-up to mcboscos' comment, I feed Eagle Pack Power Formula. Three Shorthairs, all do extemely well. Pay about $36 for a 40 lb bag. During these hot Summer months feeding 2 cups per day. Biggest dog weighs about 58 lbs and looks great (to me anyway). Will take them up to 3-3 1/2 cups during hunting season. For what it's worth, hope it helps.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:20 am

If your local feed store deals with American Agco they can get Enhance which would give you a great performance food yet lighter on the wallet than Pro Plan and like products.
www.enhance3022.com you can print off a couple $5.00 off coupons online to help out also.