Dog Bone Question - smoked ok?

Bossman27

Dog Bone Question - smoked ok?

Post by Bossman27 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey gang, I got a question regarding dog bones I buy from my local butcher. I've read that you should only allow your dog to have raw bones on these forums but my butcher sells "smoked" dog bones, I'm curious if I should stop giving these to my dog. Any insight would be appreciated, I've attached a link to an article promoting the bones below.

http://southwestmetromag.com/article/ed ... dog-treats

Thanks in advance.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Bone Question - smoked ok?

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:11 pm

I would avoid those bones. Too high a risk of a busted tooth or a sharp fragment being swallowed. I cooked bone will not be digested.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Bones can be bad news. The only bones I give are Nylabones. Why chance it when you don't have to?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Bossman27 wrote:Hey gang, I got a question regarding dog bones I buy from my local butcher. I've read that you should only allow your dog to have raw bones on these forums but my butcher sells "smoked" dog bones, I'm curious if I should stop giving these to my dog. Any insight would be appreciated, I've attached a link to an article promoting the bones below.

http://southwestmetromag.com/article/ed ... dog-treats

Thanks in advance.
Love that AVATAR picture!!! BTW, I haven't forgotten, I will eventually send you a picture of Buck. I have been working a lot and haven't gotten to it yet.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Those bones sound good to me. Course I have never had or seen a dog with a broken tooth from chewing a bone. Back years ago that is what a lot of dogs pretty much lived on along with grain. Big bones are great for teeth and giving a dog something to do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kumate

Post by kumate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:44 am

I would not feed them, I have tried once bought the biggest smoked bone from the petstore it was huge. It broke into dagger sharp fragments. On these particular bones the smoking made them very brittle

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 am

ezzy333 wrote:Those bones sound good to me. Course I have never had or seen a dog with a broken tooth from chewing a bone. Back years ago that is what a lot of dogs pretty much lived on along with grain. Big bones are great for teeth and giving a dog something to do.

Ezzy
I used to be a believer in big hard bones for cleaning my dogs' teeth and giving them something to do on occasion. I bought the bones in 15 pound bags and never had a problem with the dogs and dirty teeth. Then one day I was giving the dogs their regular checkover, and found that two of them had slab fractures with roots exposed. In order to relieve the pain and prevent infection, I chose the cheap treatment, extraction, and that set me back $1500.

I suppose I could have just left it alone and they'd get used to the pain, or I could have travelled around searching for a good old country vet to reduce the cost, but the first option is totally unacceptable to me and we live where we live and that price is average for the procedure.

Big expensive lesson learned.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 pm

I have not done helped with it myself but my wife worked at a vet clinic once upon a time. She says you will only have to help do one enema to try to remove bone fragments and you will never give dogs bones again. Quit painful for the dog and not so pleasant for the one giving the enema either.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:19 pm

I know that with anything there will be exceptions and there will be testimonials and anecdotal evidence of bad things happening, but dogs have eaten bones since the beginning of time and I have no problem giving them to mine from time to time. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way