Canidae by Diamond?

Ranger351

Canidae by Diamond?

Post by Ranger351 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm

So after problems with my dog and trying different diamond foods I switched to canidae and am pleased with their coats and appetites and stool. Question is since it's made in diamonds building and they are having so many recalls should I worry?

Ghosted3

Re: Canidae by Diamond?

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Maybe keep with it, and keep an eye on the recall list and make sure what you are using is not on it. I am sure Diamond will get everything back to normal ASAP.
Just my 2 cents anyways.

Corry

stolhma

Post by stolhma » Tue May 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Ranger351 wrote:So after problems with my dog and trying different diamond foods I switched to canidae and am pleased with their coats and appetites and stool. Question is since it's made in diamonds building and they are having so many recalls should I worry?
The South Carolina plant is the plant with problems. The other 2 plants are in Missouri and California. As long as you live west of the Mississippi I wouldn't worry about it. :) I've used Diamond feed for about 12 years and never had a problem where I live. From time to time I've tried to save a few cents per pound but have always ended up going back to Diamond. Now every time I mention switching feed to my wife she reminds me of the fun we've had with other feed. I have to agree with my wife......if it's not broke don't fix it. :D
“No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich"

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 am

Well diamond was broken so I changed and am happy with canidae now. I know from a previous post they will have their own plant soon I was simply curious if I should worry since it's still made by diamond. Btw I live in Az.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

Ranger351 wrote:Well diamond was broken so I changed and am happy with canidae now. I know from a previous post they will have their own plant soon I was simply curious if I should worry since it's still made by diamond. Btw I live in Az.
I can't tell you what to worry about but I live east of the Mississippi and I am not worried. The feed made in S. Carolina isn't shipped to the west coast amd that is the only plant they have had any irregularities in recent years at least. Diamond is a good company that had a good reputation within the industry as evidenced by the volume of feed they not only sell but the nimber of companies that have them make their feed.

It appears these latest recalls were more precautionary than anything and once the recall is made all of those feeds are removed from the shelves and returned to Diamond. So all anyone had to worry about is if they had already purchased those lot numbers. Someone had or they wouldn't have issued the recall.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:55 am

The switch will happen for trigger too. Since they cut ties with diamond (a big red flag that green letters above me is trying so hard not to see) that was the deal breaker for me. Until they get their own plant its tough to feed the same thing that comes from that plant just with a different name. But that's just me...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:13 am

trigger1989 wrote:The switch will happen for trigger too. Since they cut ties with diamond (a big red flag that green letters above me is trying so hard not to see) that was the deal breaker for me. Until they get their own plant its tough to feed the same thing that comes from that plant just with a different name. But that's just me...
Green letters opinion is based on being their many times. After spending most of his adult life in the feed manufacturing and Quality Assurance area he has spent a lot of time dealing with FDA and has took it upon himself to try and inform our dog community what really happens and in turn dispel so many of the rumors and old wives tales that continue to float around. But he is beginning to see that it will never happen till people decide they want to know the truth and not continue down the path they are presently trodding, towards the end goal of making their dogs children and thinking their digestion and metabolism is even close to a humans and they possess the same emotions and needs that we do. Sadly till that happens many of the dogs in the world will continue to suffer as their basic needs as canines are neglected while we try to transform them into our children. One of the by-products of this transformation is the fact we don't want to know what a good dog diet really is or how it is made.

The wonderful thing is though it gives everyone the opportunity to discuss whatever part of owning a dog they want to and realize there are others just as mixed up as they are and that provides the false sense that they are right and the rest of the world is all wrong. No where but America do we have that freedom.

In the mean time I think Green Letters would tell you to do what you feel comfortable with and hope you and your dog are both getting what you need to stay healthy and comfortable.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 am

Canidae bought the plant in March 2011 and spent the last 13 months renovating it, so I guess they should be ready to ship.

My local store says in the next few weeks.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:10 am

I do know my dog isn't the same as my children but when he shows signs the food isn't working and wont eat it I felt the need to ask for help. So I did and tried what was suggested and nothing changed. So I changed foods and all of his skin and coat issues improved. (not related I'm sure. hahaha) but according to so many on here regardless of if you feed Ol Roy to Orijen or PPP watch the dog and trust what he tells you. So I did and now he looks much healthier and has a healthy appetite stools and coat. After researching more and speaking to Diamond directly I feel much better about Canidae and it not having problems. So its cool ben to switch for trigger.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

I'm sure I could go rounds with ezzy but in the end he's loyal to diamond no matter what the situation is. I'm the type that if its broke fix it. For you ranger it was broke and you found a fix and its working, good stuff. I'm hearing a lot of negative about diamond and not just from this forum.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 02, 2012 11:46 am

trigger1989 wrote:I'm sure I could go rounds with ezzy but in the end he's loyal to diamond no matter what the situation is. I'm the type that if its broke fix it. For you ranger it was broke and you found a fix and its working, good stuff. I'm hearing a lot of negative about diamond and not just from this forum.
The typical reaction some give is that you are an elitist if you have an issue with the Diamond recalls. There are plenty of options priced just like Diamond without all the drama and risk.

So the elitist argument doesn't hold water.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm

It is not wise to post things you know nothing about. My loyalty to Diamond is nothing more than being fair and trying to explain what happens when you are manufacturing any kind of feed or food stuffs. I have fed Diamond for the past few years because it has performed exceptionally well and has become readily available in this area and is reasonably priced. Before that I fed Tuffy's and before that I fed several other feeds including the feed we made before we sold the business and it wasn't distributed in this area after moving the plant to the New York area. Like I have said many times there are a lot of good feeds and feed what works for you. But also please understand what happens in the industry and don't try to ridicule anyone that has a legitimate problem and are doing what they need to do remedy it and keep it from happening again, even though it will at some time as it does with every company. Many times we never hear about them and occasionally some smaller companies try to cover things up, but that is rare since the state and federal controls have been in place. They do not stay in business by putting out a poor product.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Diamond has the same problem Del Monte and other food packers have. People don't wash their hands after they go to the restroom. Salmonella is pretty easy to prevent.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Ezzy,

If you had to bet, was the catalyst of this recall complaints from customers with sick dogs or it being caught by the company. You would think the company missed it if the food made it to the shelves. I am willing to bet there was a bunch of complaints.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:04 pm

It's the same thing as if a restaurant served something bad once. Then alright big deal. If they have a string of mess ups then a few people may not be going back to that place again. Yes they will be back to normal eventually but that doesn't mean everyone will eat their again. I'm sure a lot of people would think twice about going back. That's the way I look at it and I'm sure the the view of most of the people have that are thinking about switching.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Diamond has the same problem Del Monte and other food packers have. People don't wash their hands after they go to the restroom. Salmonella is pretty easy to prevent.
I don't think so. Salmonella was present in practically all of the meat products we bought and used for years before anyone really knew it was a problem. Our company worked with FDA trying to isolate where it was coming from and what if anything needed to be done about it. And it continues to be a problem though it has been improved since FDA decided it was a problem that needed to be addressed. It is hard to keep away from but easy to kill if the products are cooked at a high enough temperature. And there in lies the problem since we don't cook the feed ingredients though we do try to get the mash to a high enough temperature during the pelleting process through the use of steam and pressure. I believe in this case a bag was found to test positive during the companies routine lab tests so they immediately put out a recall on that product and then in all likely hood it was determined that some other batches made with those same ingredients might also contain some positive bags so they recalled those as a safe guard till they can test them all. At least that is normal procedure in most programs. And if FDA did not approve of the remedies taken and thought there was any danger they would shut the whole operation down till it met there approval.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 02, 2012 2:35 pm

So they do the lab test once the food is in the stores? How does that makes sense. Why bother doing it. And why is it expanding?

I don't buy it. It is more likely that the bags were tested after complaints were received. That explains why it has expanded.

Why would anyone want to buy a product that was tested after they bought it?

If that is allowed then the whole system is totally screwed up.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 02, 2012 2:40 pm

The tests come back on sample pulls after the lot ships. According to news reports, no animal illness was reported. Salmonella is a much bigger risk to humans than dogs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:The tests come back on sample pulls after the lot ships. According to news reports, no animal illness was reported. Salmonella is a much bigger risk to humans than dogs.
Yes that is true unless the dog has an issue. But, the majority of this food was made in January.

So......

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 pm

mcbosco wrote:So they do the lab test once the food is in the stores? How does that makes sense. Why bother doing it. And why is it expanding?

I don't buy it. It is more likely that the bags were tested after complaints were received. That explains why it has expanded.

Why is it impossible for you to believe anything that has to do with nutrition that isn't what you like? I explained in an earlier post how it happens and why it happens. What I am trying to explain is the procedures every mill has to go through and whether you buy it or not it is the way it happens. I don't know for sure what the procedure was or how it was discovered but I do know what the recommended procedure that FDA excepts as proper protocol and once you understand it I am sure you would see how and why it works.

I don't expect you to agree no matter what was done but more reasonable people may at least learn how a quality program is conducted and why it works and catches any irregularities before the product is shipped in some cases but in high volume facilities it will at least catch most mistakes before they do any harm and also lets the company recall all products that could have been contaminated even though it hasn't been found in them. But they can't take the chance so they call it back till they can get a positive result on each and every batch.

Recalls do not necessarily mean a product has been contaminated but only means it could have been.

Ezzy

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Canidae is leaving diamond.they are buying a building in texas.diamond did not USE THEIR FOOD to make Canidae food,they only processed it for Canidae.
Last edited by JIM K on Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:52 pm

JIM K wrote:Canidae is leaving diamond.they are buying a building in texas.diamond did not make C anidae food,they only processed it for Canidea.
Can you explain that a little?

Ezzy

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
JIM K wrote:Canidae is leaving diamond.they are buying a building in texas.diamond did not make C anidae food,they only processed it for Canidea.
Can you explain that a little?

Ezzy
i guess that is confusing?when i called Canidae they told me,JIM WE GIVE DIAMOND ALL THE FOOD TO MAKE,DIAMOND THEN MAKES IT.
they dont allow diamond to use their food in canidae food.

its hard for me to write on here and i cant spell very good. never was good at school work .i spent to much time as kid in woods EVERYDAY it seemed hunting/fishing.
so bear with me....

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed May 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Loyalty is an admiral quality..whether to a friend, a job, a polictal cause, or even a dog food, etc,etc. It is a quality I hold in high regard in as person. But objectivity is also an admiral quality. When one will not at atleast question the quality of a feed that has been subject to many recalls and questionable issues over the years and then suggests people are "chasing rainbow's" if they should happen to try a new feed..in my opinion, the objectivity part of the equation is missing. Would one buy a car that is the center of continued recalls? What if the flaw's in the car's recalled have caused death and/or harm to individuals? It just seems to me that it is common sense that so many recalls on any product is not a good thing. Loyalty is a good thing...must be combined with objectivity for a fair assesment to be made. Again, I respect everyone's opinion. This is just mine.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed May 02, 2012 11:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:So they do the lab test once the food is in the stores? How does that makes sense. Why bother doing it. And why is it expanding?

Why is it impossible for you to believe anything that has to do with nutrition that isn't what you like? I explained in an earlier post how it happens and why it happens. What I am trying to explain is the procedures every mill has to go through and whether you buy it or not it is the way it happens. I don't know for sure what the procedure was or how it was discovered but I do know what the recommended procedure that FDA excepts as proper protocol and once you understand it I am sure you would see how and why it works.

I don't expect you to agree no matter what was done but more reasonable people may at least learn how a quality program is conducted and why it works and catches any irregularities before the product is shipped in some cases but in high volume facilities it will at least catch most mistakes before they do any harm and also lets the company recall all products that could have been contaminated even though it hasn't been found in them. But they can't take the chance so they call it back till they can get a positive result on each and every batch.

Recalls do not necessarily mean a product has been contaminated but only means it could have been.

Ezzy
I think you meant they call the food back until they can get a NEGATIVE result on each batch, a positive result would indicate it's contaminated.

A "quality program" would catch salmonella contaminated batches of food before they are shipped and change hands. Contamination should be contained and high volume is not an acceptable excuse. Proper handling and processing of food can prevent salmonella in the first place, it's obvious that Diamond in S.C. isn't complying in some way.