Dog Not Chewing Food

BillGraves

Dog Not Chewing Food

Post by BillGraves » Wed May 25, 2011 5:32 am

I picked up a 10 month GSP male on Saturday and things have been going pretty well with my 7 yr old male GSP. The pup seems to love his food...so much so that he absolutely INHALES it. I have read other threads about how to slow them down, but how do you get him to CHEW his food. I added water to the bowl and all he did was slurp it all down again with not chewing...it was slower, but I'm worried that he is having to digest larger pieces of kibble (Diamond Premium and doing well on it) instead of his teeth doing some of the work. Any ideas? Should I try a kibble that has larger pieces to force him to chew? Roll his food into little balls held together by peanut butter?! I timed his breakfast this morning and he downed 1.5 cups of food in about 15 seconds!!!!!

Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Not Chewing Food

Post by shags » Wed May 25, 2011 6:03 am

You can slow him down but you can't make him masticate :)

Dogs' teeth aren't designed for mashing up kibble.

Mine eat at a leisurely pace, like up to 5 mintes for a bowl of food, and they don't do much chewing.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 am

ditto what shags said

i would just spread the food out on a large cookie sheet that way the dog can only get so many kibble at a time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 am

Many dogs don't chew. Continue to add water and try a BreakFast bowl. I don't worry about fast eaters, but the kibble-at-a-time dogs drive me nuts.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:11 am

i would just spread the food out on a large cookie sheet that way the dog can only get so many kibble at a time
X2 on that works great!!! my Britt was eating really fast.. I spead it on a cookie plate and It considerably slow him down...
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:49 pm

My male actualy eats so fast, he gets food stuck in his throat and starts sniffing like he's got boogers in his nose. I have to massage his throat to help the food down.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 pm

My one male Boomer does the same thing and now the rest of them eat fast so that he doesnt try and clean their bowls out. But he is 3 and so far no problems. :D

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 am

I too have 2 male GSP's. One 5 years and One 11 months. I feed them in the house and side by side. The little guy is always done first. They respect each other when their faces are in the bowls. I suspect it was when they were pups and all were feed out of one bowl. He who eats the fastest get the most.

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I have a dog that inhales food without chewing, he's 18 years old and swallows his food without chewing. I recommend the brake-fast Dog Food Bowl, it's a great dog bowl that slows a dog down from eating too fast.